Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - CG Jalen Hood-Schifino to INDIANA

On 8/20/2021 at 8:54 PM, MikeRoberts said:

I’ll leave it at this. Most college athletes have little to no true marketability. Indiana basketball players have some but unless you are a big name, TJD or bigger, they won’t see big money that is coming from true marketing budgets.

big money would have to come in the guise of marketing but truly be a gift and that has not been established at IU yet like it has been at other schools for decades 

Which I think we will see.  A lot of these guys with money are getting up there in age and eager to see another NC before they pass away. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Which I think we will see.  A lot of these guys with money are getting up there in age and eager to see another NC before they pass away. 

The real key I think will be will our donors help us outbid the NBA.  To help us keep guys who otherwise would leave to be second rounders.  If after this year TJD is projected around 40.  Will our donors help us keep him for another year by essentially paying TJD to stay. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The real key I think will be will our donors help us outbid the NBA.  To help us keep guys who otherwise would leave to be second rounders.  If after this year TJD is projected around 40.  Will our donors help us keep him for another year by essentially paying TJD to stay. 

I will say that TJD is off to a nice start in his NIL campaign. Before the season is over, I think he will have some nice spending money for the NBA. But I don't think TJD stays no matter what. But the standard is being set on what some players will make for years to come at IU.

Did we ever get a prep school kid under Archie? JHS makes two for us before Woody has coached an official game. Would be great to continue that. Prep school kids get coaching and daily practice competition that’s hard to get at the regular high school level. You can see the advantages already with Tamar. Imo, the year of prep school helped him become ready right away. Hope it’s the same with JHS.

I also love that we’re getting highly ranked kids outside of Indiana and outside of the Midwest. It’s hard to be truly elite when you’re recruiting on a regional level. There’s too much competition for Indiana kids to rely as heavily on them as Archie did. By no means do I mean we should ignore highly ranked Indiana kids, but we can’t rely on them either. Good players come from all over the country and all over the world. 

I was very against the idea of hiring Woody when I first heard it. Thought it was absolutely absurd. But it’s hard not to love everything he’s done so far. Now we just need the results on the court.

15 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

Not a smart move IMO. He was guaranteed 500K with that deal and I don’t see him raking in 500K through NIL at PU over two years. The only reason you turn down that deal is if you think you’re one and done, and PU doesn’t exactly have a track record of players going to the NBA early. 

Maybe he wants to actually be part of the college life and be a kid a little longer

The problem with this world is that ever decision had to be made aroundoney instead of happiness and a person's well being.