Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - CG Jalen Hood-Schifino to INDIANA

8 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

That’s very much tbd... nobody knows what these kids will make at IU yet until there is a track record

As a person who advices both Duke and UNC, it’s huge.  There’s a lot of private entities that are going to be chomping at the bit to help persuade kids to go to this school or that school.  In fact in the long term I believe this hurts Duke and UNC because kids won’t be inclined to specifically go to them because they could get a bigger share in another school like IU.  The money at schools can be be short term and long term while private leagues (minus the NBA) would be just  a short term benefit. 

3 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

As a person who advices both Duke and UNC, it’s huge.  There’s a lot of private entities that are going to be chomping at the bit to help persuade kids to go to this school or that school.  In fact in the long term I believe this hurts Duke and UNC because kids won’t be inclined to specifically go to them because they could get a bigger share in another school like IU. 

I think the schools that have been funneling kids and their handlers money will continue to, they will just do it out in the open.
Schools like IU where that is more rare don’t have those pipelines already created. It’s going to be harder for IU to persuade a booster to move money away from the school and direct it to the kids in the name of an “appearance” or “social post” than a school that has already developed that sort of pipeline.

the majority of athletes have little to no marketability. 

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

I think the schools that have been funneling kids and their handlers money will continue to, they will just do it out in the open.
Schools like IU where that is more rare don’t have those pipelines already created. It’s going to be harder for IU to persuade a booster to move money away from the school and direct it to the kids in the name of an “appearance” or “social post” than a school that has already developed that sort of pipeline.

Working with millionaires and Billionaires, I can tell you it’s not necessarily the case. These guys are competitive with each other. They typically give money to the university and to the player.  

6 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Working with millionaires and Billionaires, I can tell you it’s not necessarily the case. These guys are competitive with each other. They typically give money to the university and to the player.  

I’ll leave it at this. Most college athletes have little to no true marketability. Indiana basketball players have some but unless you are a big name, TJD or bigger, they won’t see big money that is coming from true marketing budgets.

big money would have to come in the guise of marketing but truly be a gift and that has not been established at IU yet like it has been at other schools for decades 

14 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

So, you are advising Duke & unc with millionaires & billionaires but IU is in better shape regarding NIL?

7 minutes ago, bird4par said:

So, you are advising Duke & unc with millionaires & billionaires but IU is in better shape regarding NIL?

IU has their fair share as well. Some are already known, some are not.  I work with these people but not all of them of sports fans. I just meant to demonstrate that they are ultra competitive.  And I don’t work directly for UNC and Duke but I’m hired to advice them as a free lancer. 

13 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Sounds like Indiana, Tennessee, and Overtime Elite are final 3?  

Didn’t know about OTE.  

Indiana seems like heavy favorites but the OTE thing adds a layer of intrigue/worry?  

Nope

3 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Like I said before it’s Indiana and IU at this point

I hope you’re right. I’ve been trying not to get to excited about this one, but I just fell down the rabbit hole that is YouTube and watched his highlights again. Man this guy is silky smooth. He’s a creative finisher at the basket. The biggest thing I love about him is that. Most highlight videos of guys 6’5” and above are just dunk videos but his is all him creating finishes at the basket, a true understanding of the game.

19 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Schools aren't going to be moving money away from coming to them to instead be funneled to the kids. The schools still have budgets they need to meet and revenue they need to generate and make. 

The money the players make has to be incremental. IU, or any school, isn't going to move incoming ad dollars or donor dollars away from them and too players. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Schools aren't going to be moving money away from coming to them to instead be funneled to the kids. The schools still have budgets they need to meet and revenue they need to generate and make. 

The money the players make has to be incremental. IU, or any school, isn't going to move incoming ad dollars or donor dollars away from them and too players. 

I think we are agreeing. 

an alumn that donates $1,000,000 a year to the school or athletic department isn’t likely going to start dividing that up to now be split between the school and players.

however, there are schools like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas that have already gotten these guys to do that a long time ago.

So that comes back to these kids true marketing value and it isn’t much. I work with talent and influencers and the biggest ones make a ton and there is very little left over for everyone else. If TJD averages 25 and 12 and is an all-American he may get some legit local/regional/national brands and people interested but there hasn’t been a college player since Zion that would legit bank

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

I think we are agreeing. 

an alumn that donates $1,000,000 a year to the school or athletic department isn’t likely going to start dividing that up to now be split between the school and players.

however, there are schools like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas that have already gotten these guys to do that a long time ago.

So that comes back to these kids true marketing value and it isn’t much. I work with talent and influencers and the biggest ones make a ton and there is very little left over for everyone else. If TJD averages 25 and 12 and is an all-American he may get some legit local/regional/national brands and people interested but there hasn’t been a college player since Zion that would legit bank

Yeah, we're mostly agreeing, and I may have misread part of your post so thank you for clearing it up. 

I'm in the marketing space as well and have done influencer deals as well as deals with Power 5 athletic programs as well. 

My experience is that schools want every dollar they can get. They have budgets and revenue they need to generate, etc. The money the top schools have been helping funnel to players illegally, now legally, is incremental dollars not splitting dollars they're generating from advertisers and/or donors. 

Most of the big schools actually farm out their marketing/sponsorship wings to outside entities. 

Agree on the actual marketing value of the players. I think where most kids will ultimately be able to generate dollars is on platforms like YouTube, TikTok, etc. There was a D1 football player a few years ago that had to shutdown his YouTube channel because he was generating revenue from the ad platform. 

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, we're mostly agreeing, and I may have misread part of your post so thank you for clearing it up. 

I'm in the marketing space as well and have done influencer deals as well as deals with Power 5 athletic programs as well. 

My experience is that schools want every dollar they can get. They have budgets and revenue they need to generate, etc. The money the top schools have been helping funnel to players illegally, now legally, is incremental dollars not splitting dollars they're generating from advertisers and/or donors. 

Most of the big schools actually farm out their marketing/sponsorship wings to outside entities. 

Agree on the actual marketing value of the players. I think where most kids will ultimately be able to generate dollars is on platforms like YouTube, TikTok, etc. There was a D1 football player a few years ago that had to shutdown his YouTube channel because he was generating revenue from the ad platform. 

Yeah, they could make some money from social media if they are really active creating content and build big enough followings but even then, odds aren’t great many will make money that way. In recent IU history, I think Vic and Cody may have been able to do well in that fashion but very few others have either had the personality or fame to do that, and then they would need to impact people outside of Indiana and the Midwest to really make a splash.

getting back to the origin of how this started, someone suggested that players, hood-schifino would make more at IU after NIL than what he would make from a cheating school like Memphis or this semi pro team that was brought up. I said that is tbd but unlikely.

I think people see what is happening with the quarterbacks at Clemson and Alabama and think that is happening all over and it isn’t. I think it is great these kids can go sign some autographs and make some cash, sell some shirts, do some social posts for a campus company. Iu players should have no issues making thousands of dollars, maybe tens of thousands, but it will likely be rare that they pull in hundreds of thousands and maybe almost impossible they pull in millions.

3 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Yeah, they could make some money from social media if they are really active creating content and build big enough followings but even then, odds aren’t great many will make money that way. In recent IU history, I think Vic and Cody may have been able to do well in that fashion but very few others have either had the personality or fame to do that, and then they would need to impact people outside of Indiana and the Midwest to really make a splash.

getting back to the origin of how this started, someone suggested that players, hood-schifino would make more at IU after NIL than what he would make from a cheating school like Memphis or this semi pro team that was brought up. I said that is tbd but unlikely.

I think people see what is happening with the quarterbacks at Clemson and Alabama and think that is happening all over and it isn’t. I think it is great these kids can go sign some autographs and make some cash, sell some shirts, do some social posts for a campus company. Iu players should have no issues making thousands of dollars, maybe tens of thousands, but it will likely be rare that they pull in hundreds of thousands and maybe almost impossible they pull in millions.

Agree on the larger point. While I certainly want these guys in college and Hood-Shifino at IU, these guys make money with OE/GLeague just by showing up. In college they have to do even more work (social media content and additional appearances, etx) on top of basketball and school to get paid.