Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - PG Rodney Rice to VA Tech

Our new Assistant Coach Kenya Hunter already earning his paycheck getting us in the door with some high profile recruits. 

4-star Rodney Rice received an IU offer today.  Rice transferred to DeMatha High School in Hyattsville, Md. from The Bullis School, also in Maryland.  DeMatha is the same high school that produced Victor Oladipo.

Rivals

MaxPreps

Hudl

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-offer-class-of-2022-top-70-guard-rodney-rice/?fbclid=IwAR2vNLz_v9l4oBbSQ_AnTtR3UCW_Y-DLfARILye40c-8Y6ts83d4SbcGZCk

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/2022-introduction-rodney-rice?fbclid=IwAR1aOqOeU2VVYU7zW5hrmQL4ALKVG3Rg2qQiCjhCdUvsZnn7mByV3BJPwIc

Stockrisers -

After a busy contact period with nearly ‘20 programs’ reaching out to Top-50 prospect Rodney Rice, the 6-foot-4 guard out of Hyattsville (Md.) says that five programs are heavily in the mix and have been inconsistent contact as of late.

The newest addition to DeMatha Catholic’s roster told Stockrisers.com that ‘Maryland, Alabama, Louisville, Miami, and Indiana’ are heavily involved. He broke down three of the five programs listed as heavily involved with Stockrisers.

Alabama: “The staff has been saying that they love the way I play and my playing style. They said my style of play fits their style of play the best.”

Louisville: “They’ve been saying they’ve wanted me for a while and that I could be an instant impact if I join their program.”

Maryland: “They have been saying that I have what it takes since day one.”

In addition, Rice says that Indiana has bolstered him as a priority despite not having an offer from the Hoosiers. The DMV prospect rated amongst the Top-50 in the class of 2022, says that IU’s staff led by Archie Miller will complete a zoom call with him ‘very soon’ and that they’ve been on him heavy.   [NOTE:  Stockrisers article is dated Aug. 30.]

Miami has also completed a zoom call with Rice on several occasions. Chris Lykes is a guy that Rice is familiar with since they’re both from the same area and Larranaga has likely pitched a similar role for him since Lykes is one of the Hurricanes top players.

As far as an early commitment timeline, Rice says ‘next year’ will be the year. We’ve seen some early 2022 commitments but Rice will not be one of those.

With luck, Aire's Bishop McNamara HS and DeMatha HS (Rodney Rice) may get their seasons underway within the next few weeks.  Both schools are members of the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference (WCAC) which consists of 13 schools located in MD, VA and D.C. and further divided into 17 sub-jurisdictions depending upon the exact location of the school.  Normally schools would have a 28-game schedule.  This year, they will be limited to conference games only and play a maximum of 15-games subject to compliance with all virus protocols in effect in the location where the games will be played.  Provided a school has completed 12 practices, league play may commence as early as next week although I've yet to see any schedule for either school.  

DeMatha finally opened its season this weekend defeating Avalon (MD).  Rice had 18 pts; 10 reb; 2 stls.  DeMatha is ranked #16 in the High School Circuit Top 25 despite having just played a single game.

In its second game of the season DeMatha destroyed St. Mary's Ryken (MD) 110-59.  Rice had 16 pts. on 3-5 FG; 3-8 on 3s; 1-2 FT; 4 reb; 2 asst; 3 TO.  

Good article on navigating the pandemic specifically in the D. C. area and the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference and DeMatha in particular.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/14/some-private-school-basketball-programs-are-testing-limits-murky-pandemic-restrictions/

Rice's first 2 games can be watched on DeMatha's Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/demathahighschool/?ref=page_internal     Rice wears #4.

I haven't watched his first game against Avalon but did watch the game against St. Mary's.  The stream didn't start until the score was already 23-16 and Rice was on the bench.  From that point forward he scored 9 pts. on 2-4 FG; 1-5 on 3s; 2-2 FT; 4 reb; 1 TO so he'd already scored 7 of DeMatha's first 23 points.  He re-entered the game with the score 43-19.  The game was a blowout so hard to really judge his play but I thought he was very passive and basically just hung out around the 3-point line.  He rarely put the ball on the court until very late in the game.  At halftime, the coach was interviewed and he briefly discusses Rice at the 31 min. mark.  With the score at 100-55, the announcers briefly mentioned Vic and his time at DeMatha.

After finally being able to start its season, DeMatha moved to 3-0 with a 76 - 59 win over Blue Majic (VA) the club name that John Marshall HS (VA) plays under to skirt virus restrictions.  Rice played 13 min. scoring 8 pts. on 4-7 FG; 0-1 on 3s; 3 reb; 1 asst; 1 stl; 1 TO.

Stockrisers - 

Preparing to watch DeMatha v St. Frances this morning in a battle between two DMV programs. One prospect to watch for DM is four-star junior Rodney Rice. He caught up with Stockrisers.com the other day and said the following on his recruitment:  Alabama, Georgetown, Indiana, and Louisville are heavily involved in his recruitment. He will likely commit next year.

In a game Saturday, DeMatha defeated Virginia Academy 105 - 70.  Rice the leading scorer for DeMatha with 17.

Earlier today DeMatha beat St. Vincent St. Mary (Malaki Branham O$U commit) 73 - 56.  Rice with 20 pts. on 5-8 on 3s; 5-6 FT; 3 reb; 1 TO.

This game can be viewed below.  Rice is #4 in blue.  

Stockrisers -

Dematha four-star prospect Rodney Rice Jr. has been a nice addition to DeMatha this season and he's scored at a very nice rate and remains a hot priority.  He told Stockrisers.com that Alabama, Louisville, Georgetown, and Indiana are heavily involved. He also added Michigan and UNC have still shown interest a bit.

The 6-foot4/5 shooting guard is ranked amongst the Top-75 juniors in America.

33 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I’m a bit disappointed in Old Fart for the original post without bitching about it  :)

May a thousand fleas infest your camel.   It was one game.  Through 6 games he's averaging 12 ppg shooting 59% FG; 36% on 3s; 50% FT but he's only had 2 FT attempts in the 6 games.