Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2024 General Recruiting Thread (BBall)

Background on Anthony Gilkes a 6'6" SG attending IMG Academy originally from Queens, New York.  He was ranked #31 by Rivals in its first ever rankings of the '24 class.  He was unranked in ESPN's Top 25 and 247 doesn't rank the '24 class.  He played for the 15U PSA Cardinals on the EYBL circuit and only have stats for a total of 4 games in which he averaged 15 min./game.  4.5 ppg on 40% FGA; 33% on 3s; 50% on FT; 1.5 rpg; 1.8 apg; .8 TO   

3 min. vid clip from last season at IMG:  

From Dushawn London of 247 in November 2020.

Today, we would like to introduce Anthony Gilkes. Gilkes is a 6-foot-6 shooting guard from Queens (N.Y) who plays his high school ball at IMG Academy and AAU with the PSA Cardinals.

THE DETAILS

247Sports caught up with Gilkes’ mentor, coach Secrett Stubblefield, on his game.  “His strengths are his ability to get to the spots that he wants to and his impact on the game offensively. He's able to create for his teammates and that's something that is underappreciated in his game. Also getting down hill and getting into the paint, just having a very good feel where his teammates are and how to get them the ball.”

“His work ethic right now is really developing since he's been down at IMG Academy. It's a whole new culture that he's ever been exposed to. He's really working hard in both the classroom and on the court. He's just had to step it up a notch and he's done that so far.”

“He's become a better and a more active defender. It's his first time being a true student athlete and being in a system where he's got to work for everything he's going to get. Obviously playing with the older guys who are more experienced and stronger physically he's learning down there and the best way you can contribute is always defensively so he's become a better active defender and just taking more pride on that side of the ball.”

COLLEGE ATTENTION

Currently GIlkes does not have any division one offers but has the potential to lead a national recruitment.

WHY HE HAS OUR ATTENTION

Gilkes made it onto our radar through his impressive film that was sent into 247Sports. After watching his film we were able to watch Gilkes play live at a workout where his size, shooting ability, and handle made it clear that he has the potential to lead a national recruitment.

Gilkes’ length, shooting, and passing ability makes him a very interesting prospect in the class of 2024. For his age he has a very good skill set and has the potential to be at the top of the class. Playing at national powerhouse IMG Academy, he's definitely in good hands to develop as a player and that can only help him moving forward.

Must be a slow news day.  The Daily Hoosier with a bit of background on Anthony Gilkes and cites a couple of existing IU connections.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2024-names-to-know-wing-anthony-gilkes/?fbclid=IwAR3iI3aBM3_lJ9IQrLxNxmA7tPwTJJWAE2lbKIvX_YOvUsi5uN1x4bk2toc

The Daily Hoosier indicates we've had interest in '24 Isaiah Abraham a 6'5" wing who attends Highland HS in Warrenton, VA.  He plays AAU for Team Takeover on the EYBL circuit.  Currently unranked on Rivals top 40 or ESPN's top 25; 247 doesn't rank the '24 class.  He played varsity ball this past season as a freshman and averaged 8.8 ppg on 45% FG; 52% on 3s (24-46); 65% FT; 4 rpg; 1.5 assts; 1.1 stls; 1.3 TO.  He also played in 15 varsity games as an eighth grader - don't know how many minutes - but averaged 3.7 ppg and .9 rpg.  He was 24-42 on FG and 7-16 on 3s.

MaxPreps

From Dushawn London of 247 earlier today:  

Mount Laurel, New Jersey -- Isaiah Abraham proved to be one of the top offensive talents this past weekend at this year's Pangos All- East Freshman/Sophomore camp. While this was my first time seeing Abraham live, he showed his ability to shoot and attack the rim, along with his good size and long arms at 6-foot-6.

“Defense wise I've been working on moving my feet against smaller guards,” he said. “On offense I’m working on being more patient and getting to the basket more. I'm just aggressive. I'm going to work hard and play defense.”

“Moving forward in my game I feel like there's a lot for me to improve on,” he continued. “I want to improve my IQ , be more patient and just work on everything.”

Abraham currently plays at Highlands School in Warrenton, (Va.) where he is set to start his sophomore season. So far he’s already started receiving offers and interest from schools and looks to show people who he is and make a name for himself this season.

“So far I've received offers from Georgetown, North Carolina A&T, George Mason, Bowie State, North Texas and interest from Indiana who came to my practice and liked how I played, and George Washington among others.”

The following was written by Frank Bennett of Phenom Hoops in May 2019 when Phenom Hoops referred to him as 6' tall:

Isaiah is an impressive young athlete with an intriguing physical profile highlighted by long legs, a long wingspan and broad shoulders.  He is agile and quick, elevates off the floor quickly with explosive bounce and great timing for rebounds and blocked shots.  Isaiah runs the floor with quickness and gracefulness and gets end to end in a hurry using his long, rangy strides and athleticism.  He handles the ball exceptionally well as he uses his dribble wisely, doesn’t turn it over and makes good decisions. Isaiah is very good off the ball and demonstrates skillful footwork on catch and shoot jumpers where he hits shots with very good regularity and possesses disciplined shot mechanics.  He uses quick rips and gets where he wants to quickly and with minimal dribbles utilizing long and decisive strides, great body control and balance.  Isaiah can hit the pull-up jumper or get to the rim and finish.  His length and strength allows him to play through contact, almost appearing unfazed as he finishes with good consistency.  His offensive game is smooth and he executes sound fundamentals in an effortless manner. Very advanced offensive and defensive foundation.  Defensively he has shown the ability to guard smaller players in space and also defend the paint.  Isaiah has very good lateral mobility and sound defensive footwork.  Around the rim he is a shot blocking presence using his length, quick elevation, timing and bounce to be an imposing figure around the rim.  Isaiah is an exciting player with tremendous potential.  His advanced skills and effortless execution of those skills might also be the result of excellent coaching at the AAU level but perhaps also at home as he is the son of former Boo Williams and Marquette star Faisal Abraham who was also a shot blocking presence and an athletic marvel in a chiseled 6’7 frame.  Isaiah is also the nephew of Tajama Abraham Ngongba, Faisal’s sister who also starred for Boo Williams before a Hall of Fame career at George Washington University.  Tajama went on to play in the WNBA and is currently an assistant coach at George Mason University.  Isaiah’s cousin is Dreamchasers 6’2 2024 Patrick Ngongba who, like Isaiah is one of the state’s top 2024 prospects.  Keep your eyes on Isaiah Abraham, he’s an exciting and high ceiling prospect in Virginia’s 2024 class!

Isaiah Abraham's stats from the Peach Jam finale.

Isaiah Abraham '24 (SF) -Team Takeover                 15U        
Date W/L Pts. FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA Reb Assts. TO's  Stls. Blks. Min.
7/13 W 11 5 8 1 3 0 0 2 3 1 3 0 23
7/14 L 7 3 9 0 0 1 3 2 1 0 0 0 31
7/15 W 7 3 5 0 0 1 2 3 0 3 0 0 15
7/16 W 12 5 10 2 2 0 2 3 2 3 3 0 24
7/17 W 10 4 4 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 14
7/18 L   NO STATS POSTED                  
7/19 W 6 3 6 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 12

# Gms / Avg 6 8.8 55%   60%   44%   2 1 1 1 0 20
HS 20-21 12 8.8 45%   65%   52%   4.0 1.5 1.2 1.1 0.3  
HS 19-20 15 3.7 57%   33%   44%   0.9 0.2 0.3 0.2 0.1  

Not a 2024 kid or even an IU target at this point but the 2025 class is starting to look pretty promising in Indiana. Another 2025 kid got a D1 offer yesterday. Guard BraylOn Mullins from Greenfield Central got an offer from IUPUI. Long ways to go to get IU interest but it’s just another name to possibly watch. 

9 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Class of 2024 Guard Damone King will be Indiana for an unofficial visit tomorrow. 

https://247sports.com/player/damone-king-46117930/

Nothing on MaxPreps or Rivals.  Played AAU for Louisville Magic on the Adidas circuit.

Hudl

@DamoneKing2

In a scrimmage game this past weekend he had 16pts 6rebs 5asst

Louisville Courier-Journal 3 days ago -- Player to watch: Damone King, a 6-2 sophomore, averaged 10.1 points and 2.3 rebounds last season and has emerged as one of the state’s top players in the Class of 2024. He already holds a scholarship offer from Ohio University. “He’s more athletic than he was last year,” Coleman said. “Last year his go-to was his mid-range shot, and he’s really worked a lot on his 3-point shot. He’s worked to improve his game a lot.”

Jake Weingarten:  2024 prospect Ayden Evans will visit Indiana tomorrow for an unofficial, he told @Stockrisers. Ohio State, Louisville, amongst those involved with the Louisville native.

Evans is a 6'8" PF who will attend  North Hardin HS in Radcliff, KY.  He played AAU for the Louisville Magic on the Adidas circuit -- teammate of Damone King.  Didn't find anything on MaxPreps or Hudl.

@AydenEvans9

Sept. story:  https://wvsportsnow.com/2024-f-ayden-evans-receives-first-d-i-offer-from-west-virginia/

July story:  https://247sports.com/college/louisville/Article/Louisville-basketball-recruiting-Ayden-Evans--168216704/

7 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jake Weingarten:  2024 prospect Ayden Evans will visit Indiana tomorrow for an unofficial, he told @Stockrisers. Ohio State, Louisville, amongst those involved with the Louisville native.

Evans is a 6'8" PF who will attend  North Hardin HS in Radcliff, KY.  He played AAU for the Louisville Magic on the Adidas circuit -- teammate of Damone King.  Didn't find anything on MaxPreps or Hudl.

@AydenEvans9

Sept. story:  https://wvsportsnow.com/2024-f-ayden-evans-receives-first-d-i-offer-from-west-virginia/

July story:  https://247sports.com/college/louisville/Article/Louisville-basketball-recruiting-Ayden-Evans--168216704/

Evans said Louisville was his dream school; let's hope not!!!!