Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - SG C. J. Gunn to INDIANA

Gunn looks to be a good college player over time. But successful college teams are built with both solid 4-year players and instant impact players. The player who is carrying the current team is not a 4-year player. IU could use another one like him at guard.

14 hours ago, cthomas said:

I know some want to win at any cost, but character matters to me. This kid and his family seem to have that in spades. Winning doesn't matter as much if you can't be proud of the kids wearing the uniform. The kind of culture I want to see at Indiana is being built. This is just one old guy's opinion, but I like the kids we have and those who are coming. And, if we can win big with this type of kid, I won't have to hold my nose to celebrate.

5 hours ago, Ryno6284 said:

I like this kid. So many want the instant impact players and that’s fine, but I like building it this way. Should be a solid 4 year player.

I agree with both of you. I'm jaded by "instant impact" guys and believe "Winning" at any cost isn't winning. I don't think it has to be either/or though. I think there are a number of successful programs that do it right. Virginia, Villanova and Wisconsin come to mind. Not saying anyone is pristine, just they aren't actively filthy, like the usual suspects (Duke, Kentucky, No Carolina, Kansas.)

I get the impression IU has good kids and I really hope that Archie is able to coach CJ through 4 successful seasons at IU and he has a great career. 

17 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

Loved seeing that #4 and those Oladipo clips. Hoping for an IU career emulation. 

And thank you for posting that video/tweet as someone who doesn't have a Twitter account

For those keeping score, in his commitment video CJ re-created/included video of shots by:

• Watford vs. UK
  • Marco Killingsworth vs. Duke
  • OG vs UNC
  • Vic vs UK, and
  • Rob vs Butler

8 hours ago, Mike Schumann said:

I told Gunn and his dad that yesterday -- that his high character, high academics,  strong work ethic, strong family background really fits well with what Archie did in the 2020 and 2019 classes and seems to be emphasizing more and more.  I'm with you, I don't know how exactly it translates to winning but having a smart, committed team that works hard doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Yeah, we've had enough of the DeVonte Greens and Justin Smiths.  

8 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Yeah, we've had enough of the DeVonte Greens and Justin Smiths.  

Academics, work ethic, really good family? Not fair in many respects to Justin and DeVonte.

Let's just say I'm a fan of culture builders with teammates that are on the same page and buy into the coaching staff.