Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - SG C. J. Gunn to DePaul

After a low scoring first half ended with Carmel leading 19-11, Carmel (16-1) erupted for 19 pts. in the 3rd Q and never looked back defeating Lawrence North (16-2) 63-49 while playing without its leading scorer Brian Waddell.  LN's big man D. J. Hughes fouled out just seconds into the 4th Q but it probably didn't make a difference as Carmel simply outplayed LN the whole game.  Gunn with 8 pts. on 3-7 FG; 2-4 on 3s; 1 reb; 1 asst; 1 stl; 2 TO.

Woof. Carmel is a good squad, but they aren’t the B1G. Gunn may turn out to be a good/great player but nothing jumps off the page. This is an interesting recruitment.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Woof. Carmel is a good squad, but they aren’t the B1G. Gunn may turn out to be a good/great player but nothing jumps off the page. This is an interesting recruitment.

Is it bad that when I heard he was the recruit announcing Sunday and we're the favorite to land him, my first thought was "let me guess, no other Big Ten teams wanted him"? 

Is it bad that when I heard he was the recruit announcing Sunday and we're the favorite to land him, my first thought was "let me guess, no other Big Ten teams wanted him"? 

Archie isn’t impressing in any modality. This includes recruiting. The Romeo impact lingers.... The sad thing is, Romeo got drafted in a good spot based on how he played. Romeo wasn’t too good at IU. But the narrative and spotlight on Archie developed that season. Missed the tournament and terrible offensive scheme. Still lingers.

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Seems a bit pretentious to me but I'm just an old fart.

CJ Gunn @CJ_Gunn22

I will be announcing my commitment during halftime of the Super Bowl...Tune in

Would have been way better if he said:

CJ Gunn @CJGunn22

They warmup act and send-off act for my SUPER COMMITMENT ANNOUNCEMENT will be football.

2 words describe this game --  butt and ugly.  Lawrence North defeats Connersville 40-36.  I watched the game on tape delay at 1.25x normal speed so it's entirely possible I missed some things but I didn't see Gunn make a single basket going 0-4 FG; 3 reb; 2 asst.

It sounds like a couple of you watched so tell me if I'm wrong.  I've watched Lawrence North play at least 5 games and it doesn't look to me like he has any integral role in its offense.  He mostly seems to stand in one corner or the other and if he does receive a pass more times than not he gives it right back up.  I'm not qualified to judge but it's hard for me to see him as a 4-star and the 14th rated SG in the country.

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

2 words describe this game --  butt and ugly.  Lawrence North defeats Connersville 40-36.  I watched the game on tape delay at 1.25x normal speed so it's entirely possible I missed some things but I didn't see Gunn make a single basket going 0-4 FG; 3 reb; 2 asst.

It sounds like a couple of you watched so tell me if I'm wrong.  I've watched Lawrence North play at least 5 games and it doesn't look to me like he has any integral role in its offense.  He mostly seems to stand in one corner or the other and if he does receive a pass more times than not he gives it right back up.  I'm not qualified to judge but it's hard for me to see him as a 4-star and the 14th rated SG in the country.

Keefer’s offense plays at a very slow pace.  He has won many games playing this way but with the athletes they have all around that team you would like to see them take advantage of it.    My guess is Gunns potential is being scouted by what he did during AAU where is has way more freedom to showcase what he could do when giving the chance 

He looked terrible. Besides having a good frame, and decent handles at his size he looked like any other athlete trying to play basketball. I know he has to be better than he looked in this one, but goodness, if that’s an Indiana caliber player, idk what I’m watching anymore.

While I'm not married to ratings, I have to think those who do that see something in him to justify where he is ranked. I'm willing to wait and see what he brings before I make a judgment, not that I'm in anyway qualified to do so. Let's give the kid a chance to prove his worth.