Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - SG C. J. Gunn to INDIANA

6 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

Not I agree here, that wasn't enough to warrant it.  I also can agree that if a kid flexes and gets in a kids face, I wouldn't mind the official stopping the game briefly and pulling the kid over and saying "son that was a great move, but we aren't going to tolerate you trying to show someone up anymore. Clean it up, now."  Then go on with the game, kind of a one warning policy.  From time to time there is going to be some emotion so I get that part too.

In fairness, I feel like the good refs do exactly this. Some of the refs that I have come across, though, have a Ted Valentine-on-steroids level of ego and will do anything they can to control the game. There's SO much little man syndrome in that group. I get and totally respect that officiating is hard, but a lot of times this appetite for showing someone up (players, coaches, fans) takes over and it isn't about calling a game anymore.

One of the state’s top high school basketball players will miss his first-round sectional game next week.

Lawrence North senior CJ Gunn was whistled for two technical fouls in Tuesday night’s 64-38 home victory over Hamilton Southeastern. The second came following a dunk in the fourth quarter for taunting and, by rule, Gunn was ejected. A player or coach who is ejected from a game must also miss the following game.

For Lawrence North, it is unfortunate timing. The Wildcats’ next game is Tuesday in Class 4A Sectional 10 at North Central against Crispus Attucks. If Lawrence North wins, Gunn would be eligible to play in the semifinal on Friday night against Warren Central.

Gunn, a 6-5 Indiana recruit, was playing his best basketball of the season. In 14 games since returning from a foot injury at the beginning of the season, Gunn his averaging 22.1 points, 5.4 rebounds and shooting 36% (32-for-89) from the 3-point line.

“He’d been playing so well,” Lawrence North coach Jack Keefer said. “We’ve been about as hot as any team around. This group really competes.”

Lawrence North (15-6) has won seven of nine games with the losses during that stretch coming to second-ranked Fishers and No. 4 Carmel.

The Wildcats played the first six games of the season without Gunn, who was recovering from a foot injury he suffered in practice. There are experienced players in seniors Mac Brown (8.9 ppg), Omar Cooper (8.7 ppg, 6.4 rebounds) and Danny Royster (5.0 ppg, 3.8 rebounds), along with sophomore Kobi Bowles (7.8 ppg, 3.2 assists) and freshman Azavier Robinson (8.6 ppg, 4.5 rebounds).

Lawrence North is the back-to-back defending sectional champion.

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

One of the 2 techs C. J. picked up last night.

He didn't get into a fight with a player, didn't get into it with a ref or a fan or a coach.

Nothing to see here other than a ferocious dunk

40 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

He didn't get into a fight with a player, didn't get into it with a ref or a fan or a coach.

Nothing to see here other than a ferocious dunk

This might have since been deleted. Cant get it to work for me. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

This might have since been deleted. Cant get it to work for me. 

Yeah, it's been deleted. It was a very weak technical, but I do wonder if the uptick in boys basketball game turned UFC Fight Nights around the state recently plays a part.

Just now, Hovadipo said:

Yeah, it's been deleted. It was a very weak technical, but I do wonder if the uptick in boys basketball game turned UFC Fight Nights around the state recently plays a part.

Very good point. I just hate that might be some of the reason a HS SR misses the first 1st rd of his last sectional. Jmo 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

just to support my opinion.. 

here is a video of Gabe Cupps. You'll notice his dunk at the 5:44 mark..... he gets a T after that for that silly look he gave to the other kid. If that's a T.... I just, I can't fathom why that should be a technical. This stuff happens regularly and this wasn't even in our state haha. 

Wow.  That was a total nothing.

38 pts.   Up 5 with 7 sec 
Missed the first half. Second half I would have liked to see him more aggressive. Most of the time he was just standing opposite the ball.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk