Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - SG C. J. Gunn to DePaul

39 minutes ago, Demo said:

CJ Gunn is in no way, shape or form Greg Graham.

Hmmm, How many points did you score in the Big Ten? I know how many Calbert scored, and who he's coached, and learned from. In a tie of knowledge, I think I will lean toward Calbert. Nothing personal of course. 

1 hour ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

Hmmm, How many points did you score in the Big Ten? I know how many Calbert scored, and who he's coached, and learned from. In a tie of knowledge, I think I will lean toward Calbert. Nothing personal of course. 

Fewer than Calbert. And none taken. But he’s still not Greg Graham 

1 hour ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

That right there is some “I hope it motivates CJ” world class hyperbole from Calbert.

Of the bench guys CJ has an ocean of opportunity in front of him. I like the Scoop reference because I want CJ to do the opposite of what Scoop did; get playing time and immediately forget every practice and game plan and just try to be a star. If CJ plays a patient, hard working role and then hits the shots that come to him within the game plan, then he could be a huge part of this team, and eventually earn a little more freedom out there. Ideally hitting more than he did last year…

But now I’m shuddering thinking of Geronimo out there, another “potential” guy. The whole team had to make up for his defensive miscues. 

2 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Of the bench guys CJ has an ocean of opportunity in front of him. I like the Scoop reference because I want CJ to do the opposite of what Scoop did; get playing time and immediately forget every practice and game plan and just try to be a star. If CJ plays a patient, hard working role and then hits the shots that come to him within the game plan, then he could be a huge part of this team, and eventually earn a little more freedom out there. Ideally hitting more than he did last year…

But now I’m shuddering thinking of Geronimo out there, another “potential” guy. The whole team had to make up for his defensive miscues. 

Rothstein was clamoring about Geromino at Maryland as a 6th man type or even a starter a few weeks back.  It'll definitely be interesting to see the season he has.  Mayrland could be sneakily very, very good.  

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Rothstein was clamoring about Geromino at Maryland as a 6th man type or even a starter a few weeks back.  It'll definitely be interesting to see the season he has.  Mayrland could be sneakily very, very good.  

He wouldn't fool me again. Looks like Tarzan; plays like Jane.

Maybe it can be developed, but he just doesn't seem to have an intuitive feel for the game.

13 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If he would play the 4 role he could see some improvement in his effectiveness but him trying to be a 3 last year did now work

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I laughed reading those. 

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

If he would play the 4 role he could see some improvement in his effectiveness but him trying to be a 3 last year did now work

6 and 5 with 1 1/2 blocks a game average being bumped to that by the 25 12 and 4 against us. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

He wouldn't fool me again. Looks like Tarzan; plays like Jane.

Maybe it can be developed, but he just doesn't seem to have an intuitive feel for the game.

This road is too well trod to continue this discussion and the same people who took an extremely negative view of Geronimo's game are showing up again. He was certainly effective - very - in the games when Race was out (and before Race was thrown back in despite clearly not being ready/healthy). I'm interested to see how he does at MD, either way, that's all I'm going to add to this beaten horse.

19 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

This road is too well trod to continue this discussion and the same people who took an extremely negative view of Geronimo's game are showing up again. He was certainly effective - very - in the games when Race was out (and before Race was thrown back in despite clearly not being ready/healthy). I'm interested to see how he does at MD, either way, that's all I'm going to add to this beaten horse.

He wasn't effective at all in the MSU game. He played 1.5 games really well, one half against ILL and the whole game against UW. 

They throw him in against Maryland in the BTT... he immediately doubles someone in the post, that was clearly not someone that should be doubled.... and boom Donta Scott 3. Those are the examples of why he didn't see the court more, he couldn't be trusted. Pulled the same type of s*** in the BTT last season against UM. 

8:20 mark on the video. 5:37 on the clock. 

JG goes and doubles Hakim Hart, who is being guarded by 6'7 Miller Kopp in the mid-post, while JG is guarding Donta Scott..... just bad basketball. I'm sure the coaching staff has example after example of this stuff with JG over time, whether in a game or in practice. But coaching staffs, or at least good coaching staffs, don't put up with this kind of crap. 

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

He wasn't effective at all in the MSU game. He played 1.5 games really well, one half against ILL and the whole game against UW. 

They throw him in against Maryland in the BTT... he immediately doubles someone in the post, that was clearly not someone that should be doubled.... and boom Donta Scott 3. Those are the examples of why he didn't see the court more, he couldn't be trusted. Pulled the same type of s*** in the BTT last season against UM. 

8:20 mark on the video. 5:37 on the clock. 

JG goes and doubles Hakim Hart, who is being guarded by 6'7 Miller Kopp in the mid-post, while JG is guarding Donta Scott..... just bad basketball. I'm sure the coaching staff has example after example of this stuff with JG over time, whether in a game or in practice. But coaching staffs, or at least good coaching staffs, don't put up with this kind of crap. 

You apparently don’t understand too well trod. Not going to counter-point, been there done that. Also not going to play the told you so game. I wish him well, if he does well / better at MD good for him, if he doesn’t, I will see it as too bad. 

On 8/8/2023 at 5:24 PM, Joe_hoopsier said:

On 8/8/2023 at 6:37 PM, Demo said:

Fewer than Calbert. And none taken. But he’s still not Greg Graham 

Quite the exchange. No offense to any poster, but it’s a good illustration of how hope springs eternal and often we as fans latch onto things coaches say in the media that’s intended to motivate players, not educate fans.  

I’ll say DePaul is an interesting spot. I can see him playing there because they’re so bad (kinda like Geronimo and Bates), but I would’ve guessed he would be more effective at the mid major level.