Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - SG C. J. Gunn to DePaul

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Play him. 

See what we’ve got against lesser competition. With 20 mpg the kid is gonna be an excellent distance shooter, and he feels like he could be the chippy player we need. Play Gallo too.

Heck I would start Gunn, Duncomb, Banks, JHS, Malik and see what happens. 

12 hours ago, Henryville Hoosier said:

Heck I would start Gunn, Duncomb, Banks, JHS, Malik and see what happens. 

What would happen is that we would win and we wouldn’t learn much because Elon really stinks.

Without X and with Leal and Logan out of the rotation Gunn and Banks are now in the top ten on the team. If Gunn is gonna play it’ll be because Gallo turns into the backup PG and he’s splitting with Bates.

Banks is gonna have to take minutes from Kopp, who has played very well lately, including against Arizona.

35 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

What would happen is that we would win and we wouldn’t learn much because Elon really stinks.

Bingo….

I’m actually in favor of providing more minutes for guys like Gunn against Elon for their development but, as you stated, do we really learn that much?

Countless past posts have expressed excitement because Damezi hit 2 threes against the Little Sisters of the Poor, exclaimed we must have a lot of depth because the bench scored a ton against Postal Workers Northeast Arkansas State etc., but how often have those performances translated against better teams? The next two games won’t prove much but we will learn a lot, in regards to where we are and who can step up, starting with at Iowa.

On 12/18/2022 at 10:24 AM, Stuhoo said:

Play him. 

See what we’ve got against lesser competition. With 20 mpg the kid is gonna be an excellent distance shooter, and he feels like he could be the chippy player we need. Play Gallo too.

Bump...play him. Last night showed a strong 20 minutes.

And a SportsCenter Top Ten Play:

17 minutes ago, Henryville Hoosier said:

I actually have been expecting something like to come out regarding Gunn or Banks or even TG.  While I would love to grab a portal guy that has a history of being a great outside shooter I have been expecting the stories to start dropping that based on summer play someone on the roster has emerged and is "lighting it up".  We hear the unofficial summer and early fall reports of guys killing it and sometimes that happens and many times it does not.

So while i get skeptical of these reports, I fall for them all the time because I prefer to see one of our own develop and fill that role.  Not just fill it, but excel in that role.  

Gunn made a pretty big improvement in his outside shooting in HS when he came back from injury and i would expect him to improve upon last year (which is not hard to do).  

42 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I actually have been expecting something like to come out regarding Gunn or Banks or even TG.  While I would love to grab a portal guy that has a history of being a great outside shooter I have been expecting the stories to start dropping that based on summer play someone on the roster has emerged and is "lighting it up".  We hear the unofficial summer and early fall reports of guys killing it and sometimes that happens and many times it does not.

So while i get skeptical of these reports, I fall for them all the time because I prefer to see one of our own develop and fill that role.  Not just fill it, but excel in that role.  

Gunn made a pretty big improvement in his outside shooting in HS when he came back from injury and i would expect him to improve upon last year (which is not hard to do).  

Yeah there's definitely at least 1 every year. I'd say 80% of the time, it doesn't manifest the next season.

2 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Yes, it will not be hard for him to improve over this past season. Gunn was not just bad from 3-point range. At 8%, he was awful.  But to be able to be on the floor in crucial moments, Gunn needs to improve dramatically. We'll see. Gunn may not be ready for meaningful minutes until the year after next.

I really like this young man and if he is putting in the work, I hope he fills that last spot in the starting lineup. He has the size and athleticism to be that guy that we need. We don't necessarily need a portal guy to make this team better. For whatever reason, we seem to discount the guys we already have.

6 hours ago, Henryville Hoosier said:

Another IU offseason/practice sharp shooter! He certainly has the potential though, I just hope he can do it in games.

5 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Why is he working out in Atlanta? 

Probably because the coaching staff is restricted in how much time they can spend coaching him, especially in the offseason. 

5 hours ago, cthomas said:

I really like this young man and if he is putting in the work, I hope he fills that last spot in the starting lineup. He has the size and athleticism to be that guy that we need. We don't necessarily need a portal guy to make this team better. For whatever reason, we seem to discount the guys we already have.

Gunn isn’t starting for IU next season, that is odd to even type. Gallo is better than him at everything  and most here are excited to recruit over him even

7 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Gunn isn’t starting for IU next season, that is odd to even type. Gallo is better than him at everything  and most here are excited to recruit over him even

Not expecting it but completely ruling it out doesn’t make sense either. No one knows how much work he is putting in or if that work will yield quick dividends.