Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - SG C. J. Gunn to INDIANA

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

How many like Hulls have played for IU since Hulls? James Blackmon, Jr. No one else comes to mind. For all anyone knows, Gunn could be a better shooter than any of the current IU guards, which may not be saying much. He would seem to be better than Galloway. It has been suggested that Leal is a shooter but he hasn't shown it yet. Xavier has an awkward shot but connected well toward the end of the season. If Gunn shows he can hit the 3-point shot with regularity, he will get some minutes (at least early) unless some of the other guards improve their shooting.

What i like at this point is he’s a long, natural scorer with confidence, decent athleticism, and a build that can fill out well at IU. 
He will probably have to fight for limited minutes as a frosh, with the other guards and vets, until he shows good D at the college level. That’s not a bad thing. As a soph - junior he has the apparent ability, length and athleticism with added strength and quickness to really blossom— a lot of things to like about him and his upside

25 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Zeisloft.

Zeisloft was a great addition and hit a lot of shots. I'm not sure he is in the same "sharpshooter" category as Hulls and Blackmon, but he ended up being a major contributor. Most posters on IU boards opposed bringing Zeisloft in but he proved them wrong. We'll see what Gunn brings as a freshman. Outside shooting is this team's weakness and if anyone--Kopp, Leal, or whomever shows they can regularly hit 3s, they will see the floor. If Gunn shows something, he wouldn't be the first freshman who many fans discounted. Almost no one on this board thought Galloway would see much playing time his freshman year and, of course, they were wrong just as some were wrong about Zeisloft.

17 hours ago, btownqb said:

But he still isn't a sharpshooter regardless, like he isn't Hulls. He has some muscle to add and some skills to gain before he's playing any sort of meaningful mins (nothing wrong with any of that).. I think he has dynamite potential. 

Kerry Kittles ish, maybe Rip Hamilton. His length could be incredibly disruptive on the defensive end, as well. 

As your 4th prospect in a class... lots to work with imo. 

Lots to work with but also lots to work on.

I hope he can remain patient and willing to earn his time. Indications so far seem like he can.

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

How many like Hulls have played for IU since Hulls? James Blackmon, Jr. No one else comes to mind. For all anyone knows, Gunn could be a better shooter than any of the current IU guards, which may not be saying much. He would seem to be better than Galloway. It has been suggested that Leal is a shooter but he hasn't shown it yet. Xavier has an awkward shot but connected well toward the end of the season. If Gunn shows he can hit the 3-point shot with regularity, he will get some minutes (at least early) unless some of the other guards improve their shooting.

I haven't been able to figure out where this thought that Leal is a great shooter came from. In HS he was decent but not great. My theory on why people think he is is that they look at him and can't figure out why he was recruited. He's not exceptionally athletic or quick, so that wasn't it. He's not a stud defensive player, so that wasn't it. He's a big guard but there are a lot of those around. People see all this and think it must be because of his shooting. 

It was reported last summer that he was putting up like 500 3-pointers a day. He might eventually become great shooter but he isn't yet and wasn't in HS.

11 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ah it's time for the poor lighting vs good lighting comparisons I see.

As a lifelong photographer, I love looking at these. Photography is always about how one uses the light. That said, I liked the his dad talked about growth in the areas not visible in the photos.

FWIW I watched the entire finals game in Vegas with Cupps, Reed Sheppard, and Bronny James.

Cupps was good at point. Made good decisions, but his cuts were lazy. Defense was pretty good. Above average I'd say. Didn't look for his shot, always passed first (which could be a good thing to get offense into flow). The Midwest team with Cupps and Sheppard was really, really good. Played with a pace we can only dream of at IU. Lots of movement, great not good, passing, and everybody knows their role. Brook Cupps is the coach, and he could easily coach at the next level IMO.

Sheppard is the real deal. Headed to Cal at pUKe.

2 hours ago, DWB said:

FWIW I watched the entire finals game in Vegas with Cupps, Reed Sheppard, and Bronny James.

Cupps was good at point. Made good decisions, but his cuts were lazy. Defense was pretty good. Above average I'd say. Didn't look for his shot, always passed first (which could be a good thing to get offense into flow). The Midwest team with Cupps and Sheppard was really, really good. Played with a pace we can only dream of at IU. Lots of movement, great not good, passing, and everybody knows their role. Brook Cupps is the coach, and he could easily coach at the next level IMO.

100% agree with all of this. Every single point. 

13 hours ago, DWB said:

It wouldn't be too difficult to look good as a coach with those 3 on the roster. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It wouldn't be too difficult to look good as a coach with those 3 on the roster. 

Bronny was on the other team with a bunch of five stars.

Cupps was with Sheppard (so, so good) and a four star going to Cinci. The Brooks Cupps team had played together way more and it showed. 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Bronny James was on the opposing team. Only Gunn and Sheppard were on the Midwest team. "Strive for Greatness" was the other team, and frankly had far more talent than the Midwest team. But these guys played team ball not indv ball.

You may disagree, but Brook Gunn can flat out coach.

7 minutes ago, DWB said:

Bronny James was on the opposing team. Only Gunn and Sheppard were on the Midwest team. "Strive for Greatness" was the other team, and frankly had far more talent than the Midwest team. But these guys played team ball not indv ball.

You may disagree, but Brook Gunn can flat out coach.

Cupps, not Gunn. :)