Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - SG C. J. Gunn to INDIANA

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Interesting read although not much we didn't already know. I think I'm going to like this young man.

19 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Who knew?

Mike Schumann @ The Daily Hoosier

Something pretty interesting about CJ Gunn I didn't realize -- He is the all-time leader in Lawrence North history in points per game average. That is an impressive accomplishment at a program with a rich history.

Very impressive

Some other guys out of Lawrence North

Mike Conley

Eric Montross

Greg Oden

Chris Hill

Gunn lead the Indiana All Stars with 20 points against the Kentucky All Stars on Friday night in Owensboro, Kentucky. Indiana was down to nine players, and seven scored in double figures.  The Indiana All Stars started quickly and built a large early lead that they never relinquished, pounding Kentucky 104-77.  Indiana had a stifling defense that forced 20 Kentucky turnovers, while only committing 7.  CJ had a rough start, missing numerous times from three point range, but ended up 8-18 for the game, with more shots coming closer to or near the rim in the second half. He just missed what would have been a spectacular ally oop dunk late in the game.  Man, does look tall for a guard too.

17 minutes ago, hoosierdogg said:

Gunn lead the Indiana All Stars with 20 points against the Kentucky All Stars on Friday night in Owensboro, Kentucky. Indiana was down to nine players, and seven scored in double figures.  The Indiana All Stars started quickly and built a large early lead that they never relinquished, pounding Kentucky 104-77.  Indiana had a stifling defense that forced 20 Kentucky turnovers, while only committing 7.  CJ had a rough start, missing numerous times from three point range, but ended up 8-18 for the game, with more shots coming closer to or near the rim in the second half. He just missed what would have been a spectacular ally oop dunk late in the game.  Man, does look tall for a guard too.

Had 21 tonight to lead Indiana to  101-81 win and the sweep

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

He didn’t shoot it great from 3, but ok.  The encouraging stat was his ability to connect from the free throw line.  We haven’t had great free throw shooters the past several years!

He's just not currently an elite 3pt shooter, he's solid. More than something to work with, for sure. 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

He's just not currently an elite 3pt shooter, he's solid. More than something to work with, for sure. 

He takes a lot of deep and off balanced 3s.  I’m know it hurts his percentages. But he loves to do it. Lol.  I’m expecting his percentages to look better when taking open/better looks. 

56 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He takes a lot of deep and off balanced 3s.  I’m know it hurts his percentages. But he loves to do it. Lol.  I’m expecting his percentages to look better when taking open/better looks. 

But he still isn't a sharpshooter regardless, like he isn't Hulls. He has some muscle to add and some skills to gain before he's playing any sort of meaningful mins (nothing wrong with any of that).. I think he has dynamite potential. 

Kerry Kittles ish, maybe Rip Hamilton. His length could be incredibly disruptive on the defensive end, as well. 

As your 4th prospect in a class... lots to work with imo. 

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But he still isn't a sharpshooter regardless, like he isn't Hulls. He has some muscle to add and some skills to gain before he's playing any sort of meaningful mins (nothing wrong with any of that).. I think he has dynamite potential. 

Kerry Kittles ish, maybe Rip Hamilton. His length could be incredibly disruptive on the defensive end, as well. 

As your 4th prospect in a class... lots to work with imo. 

This.

I wonder if he’s one of those ‘75% unguarded with the shooting machine from three’ kids.

If so, he’s a great project because of his athleticism.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

t he still isn't a sharpshooter regardless, like he isn't Hulls.

How many like Hulls have played for IU since Hulls? James Blackmon, Jr. No one else comes to mind. For all anyone knows, Gunn could be a better shooter than any of the current IU guards, which may not be saying much. He would seem to be better than Galloway. It has been suggested that Leal is a shooter but he hasn't shown it yet. Xavier has an awkward shot but connected well toward the end of the season. If Gunn shows he can hit the 3-point shot with regularity, he will get some minutes (at least early) unless some of the other guards improve their shooting.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

How many like Hulls have played for IU since Hulls? James Blackmon, Jr. No one else comes to mind. For all anyone knows, Gunn could be a better shooter than any of the current IU guards, which may not be saying much. He would seem to be better than Galloway. It has been suggested that Leal is a shooter but he hasn't shown it yet. Xavier has an awkward shot but connected well toward the end of the season. If Gunn shows he can hit the 3-point shot with regularity, he will get some minutes (at least early) unless some of the other guards improve their shooting.

Another catch and shoot player where I was surprised when an open three didn’t go in?

Zeisloft.

What a great addition he was.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

They're many qualifiers he'd need to improve on first. His body alone is veryy far behind. 

Like.. yeah if you line up TG vs Gunn in a shooting contest, Gunn will probably win. That's not the reality of it. TG would trump him drastically in every other area. Not playing ahead of JHS or TB.

Plus we are talking about MINIMAL shots throughout the season... compared to hundreds of defensive possessions and everything else that goes along with an offensive possession. 

Leal is not a shooter. He never has been. He can knock down some open ones, but even in HS the scouting report wasn't "never leave him". It was for his teammate Bomba though. Jesus that kid could shoot.