Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - SG C. J. Gunn to INDIANA

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

We've had fewer injuries than most this year. Time missed?

• Gallo missed games due to a flagrant foul that broke his wrist, and recently because of a muscle pull.
  • Phinisee missed because of a foot injury.
  • Lander has missed because of (*best guess*) knee tendonitis.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if that's it, that's not bad at all.

Agreed. 

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

We've had fewer injuries than most this year. Time missed?

• Gallo missed games due to a flagrant foul that broke his wrist, and recently because of a muscle pull.
  • Phinisee missed because of a foot injury.
  • Lander has missed because of (*best guess*) knee tendonitis.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if that's it, that's not bad at all.

I’ve stated a few times this season, we’ve been pretty lucky with injuries this year. However as you’ve pointed out, it’s not like we’ve been without injury this year - 3 of our guards all went down late in the year.

this season has been better than previous seasons iirc but others have been pretty bad injury wise 

beyond that, it’s the late game and late season collapses. I’m aware some of that is mental, some is physical but we’ve had a lot of different players filter though in the last 5 seasons and this collapse has been pretty routine. is it partially conditioning? Hard to close out games and a season if you are gassed.

First of all, Cliff Marshall wasn’t here then.  I think muscle and bulk is overated in basketball, but it’s not just about the weight and bulk, it’s about knowing what your doing and knowing your subject matter.
there are numerous cases of players adding weight or dropping weight that both helped or hurt their ability to play. Some can gain from it, others it’s a detriment 

Beyond sheer body mass, there are workouts, weights, duration, repetition, timing etc. That all matters. 

there is never going to be proof that Cliff has negatively impacted our players and team, just a theory of mine. However, for every player that you can show that improved his shooting since he arrived, I can show you two that regressed. I also find it crazy how we collapse down the stretch almost like clockwork in games and seasons since he’s arrived. 

players should be improving physically as they go through a season and career at IU and that hasn’t been the norm since he arrived. There are some really alarming consistencies that have developed since he’s been here

You don’t think once in the NBA players don’t have personal trainers and improve in size and strength? You don’t think a players get stronger from HS freshman year to HS senior year? We aren’t turning these guys in to the Incredible Hulk. All these off season pictures he posts, while they look impressive, the before pictures are clearly taken in a normal resting state while the after pictures are clearly directly after a workout so the muscles are going to be “swollen” and causes people to think he’s made a night and day difference to their bodies. Players consistently train and get stronger throughout their careers and it doesn’t seem to effect their shooting. While I would love the cause of our horrendous 3pt shooting to be that simple, I think we just don’t have good shooters. And I don’t know this first hand but it doesn’t appear we have anyone on staff that specializes in shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

You don’t think once in the NBA players don’t have personal trainers and improve in size and strength? You don’t think a players get stronger from HS freshman year to HS senior year? We aren’t turning these guys in to the Incredible Hulk. All these off season pictures he posts, while they look impressive, the before pictures are clearly taken in a normal resting state while the after pictures are clearly directly after a workout so the muscles are going to be “swollen” and causes people to think he’s made a night and day difference to their bodies. Players consistently train and get stronger throughout their careers and it doesn’t seem to effect their shooting. While I would love the cause of our horrendous 3pt shooting to be that simple, I think we just don’t have good shooters. And I don’t know this first hand but it doesn’t appear we have anyone on staff that specializes in shooting

He gets it 

30 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I think we are saying similar things. Of course players work out… I think most have been shocked at how poorly we have shot the ball, not one or two players but collectively as a team over the last 5 years. 
most have been shocked, or at least used to be when our team would give up big leads to end games and go on crazy losing streaks to end seasons.

it’s fair to look at why that might be the case. It’s just a commonality that arrived when he did is all.it’s been 5 years of the same and I hope the school figures out why soon

I think we are saying similar things. Of course players work out… I think most have been shocked at how poorly we have shot the ball, not one or two players but collectively as a team over the last 5 years. 

most have been shocked, or at least used to be when our team would give up big leads to end games and go on crazy losing streaks to end seasons.

it’s fair to look at why that might be the case. It’s just a commonality that arrived when he did is all.it’s been 5 years of the same and I hope the school figures out why soon

That’s fair. And I appreciate the conjecture without taking my initial comment personally. Love the back and forth when it remains civil, not sure why so many people get their feelings hurt just because someone disagrees with their opinion.

I think it goes back further than 5 years. The last 5 years have been bad bad. But I long for the days of an Eric Gordon, AJ Guyton type player. We haven’t had a player that can score at all levels whenever needed in a long time, outside of a very select few. We’ve had some really good shooters during the Crean era but for the most part they were spot up. Don’t get me wrong I would love a Hulls or Roth capable shooter, we have to start there. But outside of Yogi and Oladipo (who’s personal development is up for debate, not saying Crean didn’t have a part in that but I think they worked their @$$ off on their on as well) we haven’t had someone that when we need a basket, you put the ball in their hands and they’re going to get one from anywhere on the court.

I really miss the 2002 team. A group of 5-7 guys that could all contribute on any given night, not reliant on 1-2 guys carrying you. I don’t know if we will ever get back to those days.

Edit: after posting and thinking more about it, I guess there have been more knockdown shooters than I remembered. Just seems so long since I’ve seen it that it seems like a very distant memory.

1 hour ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

That’s fair. And I appreciate the conjecture without taking my initial comment personally. Love the back and forth when it remains civil, not sure why so many people get their feelings hurt just because someone disagrees with their opinion.

I think it goes back further than 5 years. The last 5 years have been bad bad. But I long for the days of an Eric Gordon, AJ Guyton type player. We haven’t had a player that can score at all levels whenever needed in a long time, outside of a very select few. We’ve had some really good shooters during the Crean era but for the most part they were spot up. Don’t get me wrong I would love a Hulls or Roth capable shooter, we have to start there. But outside of Yogi and Oladipo (who’s personal development is up for debate, not saying Crean didn’t have a part in that but I think they worked their @$$ off on their on as well) we haven’t had someone that when we need a basket, you put the ball in their hands and they’re going to get one from anywhere on the court.

I really miss the 2002 team. A group of 5-7 guys that could all contribute on any given night, not reliant on 1-2 guys carrying you. I don’t know if we will ever get back to those days.

Edit: after posting and thinking more about it, I guess there have been more knockdown shooters than I remembered. Just seems so long since I’ve seen it that it seems like a very distant memory.

I agree in that we haven’t had a complete player that can score in many ways in a longtime, maybe Yogi being the last.

while Crean’s teams had issues, mainly half court offense and all things defense, he had a ton of really good shooters. Some arrived as good shooters and stayed good, others became good shooters over their career. 

we really haven’t seen that in 5 years. It’s just crazy we aren’t seeing guys improve year after year

12 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I agree in that we haven’t had a complete player that can score in many ways in a longtime, maybe Yogi being the last.

while Crean’s teams had issues, mainly half court offense and all things defense, he had a ton of really good shooters. Some arrived as good shooters and stayed good, others became good shooters over their career. 

we really haven’t seen that in 5 years. It’s just crazy we aren’t seeing guys improve year after year

I think some of the shooting % issues deal with the shots they take. Kopp and P Stew are catch and shoot 3PT shooters, Bates wasn't shy about gunning, Phin would get that long step back three he typically missed short, etc. A focus on quality as well as shooting a few more would have done us well.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I think he'll more likely have a bates-like freshman year around 4-5 ppg.

I think it'll be half the mins Bates got. Completely fine with that too. Gunn is for sure in the picture long term at 6-6 6-7