Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - SG C. J. Gunn to INDIANA

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

C.J. Gunn and his family, from what I've read, is the prototype of kids I enjoy watching and want at IU.

Anyone think he could be a Greg Graham type player? He was a little slow to get going coming in, but ended up being a really nice player. He seems to have many of the same traits. 

2 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Anyone think he could be a Greg Graham type player? He was a little slow to get going coming in, but ended up being a really nice player. He seems to have many of the same traits. 

Greg was a highly recruited kid who averaged about 10 ppg as a freshman and was selected in the 1st round of the NBA draft following his senior year. I don't know about C.J. as I've never seen him play, but that's a tough comparison on paper at least. 

15 minutes ago, ziggyiu said:

Greg was a highly recruited kid who averaged about 10 ppg as a freshman and was selected in the 1st round of the NBA draft following his senior year. I don't know about C.J. as I've never seen him play, but that's a tough comparison on paper at least. 

Wow. My memory isn't what it once was. I didn't remember him averaging 10 points as a freshman. I knew he and Pat were both highly regarded, but didn't remember him starting off that well. May have something to do with my alcohol consumption during those years.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Saturday afternoon Lawrence North overwhelmed Fort Wayne Snider 93-53.  Unfortunately, I've not yet been able to find any game details.

Report I received is C.J. probably had 18-20 points playing limited minutes because the game was so one-sided.  Sat out most if not all of  the 4th Q and unknown minutes on the bench during the first 3 quarters.

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Report I received is C.J. probably had 18-20 points playing limited minutes because the game was so one-sided.  Sat out most if not all of  the 4th Q and unknown minutes on the bench during the first 3 quarters.

How many did Azavier Robinson get?   ;)

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

How many did Azavier Robinson get?   ;)

I wish I could tell you.  Unfortunately, following Lawrence North basketball is a near impossibility.  It gets very little press coverage from the Indy Star, doesn't submit stats to MaxPreps and the school itself doesn't offer any kind of game summaries.  I've been very fortunate to be able to get as much info on C.J. as I have this season and I owe a big THANK YOU to several people for their help.

Well, this was less than satisfying since the stream of the first quarter disappeared.  Lawrence North led for most of the game but folded in the 4th and Fishers wins 53-47.  Fishers played without Jalan Haralson who was out with an ankle sprain.  Highly touted freshman PG Azavier Robinson for LN also did not play.  Per Kyle Neddenriep, Gunn finished with 23p.  He missed some crucial free throws with time winding down late in the game.

21 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Well, this was less than satisfying since the stream of the first quarter disappeared.  Lawrence North led for most of the game but folded in the 4th and Fishers wins 53-47.  Fishers played without Jalan Haralson who was out with an ankle sprain.  Highly touted freshman PG Azavier Robinson for LN also did not play.  Per Kyle Neddenriep, Gunn finished with 23p.  He missed some crucial free throws with time winding down late in the game.

Any idea why Jalen Harelson didn’t play? I didn’t see him on the bench.

19 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

A nice article on CJ Gunn and his improvement!  I am looking forward to seeing him play and it sounds like defense could be his strength.

https://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/indiana/iu-signee-gunn-expanding-his-game/article_8503034e-9039-11ec-8db1-23af82223416.html

Defense is where he needs work.

He can shoot and he’s pretty long, but he needs to learn to do dirty work and develop consistent intensity.

29 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Defense is where he needs work.

He can shoot and he’s pretty long, but he needs to learn to do dirty work and develop consistent intensity.

The article made it sound like he’s good at defense based on his length; although, I think it did say he’s working on his D because he knows that’s how he can see minutes 

23 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

The article made it sound like he’s good at defense based on his length; although, I think it did say he’s working on his D because he knows that’s how he can see minutes 

People that have seen him play in person say that his focus and defensive intensity need a lot of work.

not expecting him to get immediate minutes, but you never know.