Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Pamela Whitten Replaces McRobbie as IU President

I have given my thoughts on McRobbie before. He has his flaws for sure, but is better by a lot than Herbert and Brand before him. I think he has issues with being hostile towards athletics but has done a lot of good things and is a much better human being than others before him.

McRobbie is a lot like David Stern and Bud Selig in that he was decent but had flaws. The question for IU is to they go out and get an Adam Silver who is even better than Stern and take another step forward or do they go out and get a Rob Manfred who is worse than Selig. Selig himself even took over for Fay Vincent who was awful.

This is a big moment for IU in that they went from complete incompetence to decent in leadership under McRobbie and now they need to make sure they get an Adam Silver like person who can elevate it more and not get a Manfred who will make things worse and backslide the progress. 

Someone who gets athletics more as part of a university setting would be nice. 

30 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Can Mark Cuban replaces him?

He'd get my vote.  It's long overdue that larger universities don't start putting experienced business people in charge of the institution instead of academicians.   Say what you will about PUke, but IMO Mitch Daniels was a home run hire with his business background.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He'd get my vote.  It's long overdue that larger universities don't start putting experienced business people in charge of the institution instead of academicians.   Say what you will about PUke, but IMO Mitch Daniels was a home run hire with his business background.

Lol

Mark Cuban for University President, and Avery Johnson and Dane Fife for Assistant Bball Coach. 

Let's shoot for John Mellencamp as Marching 100 Conductor while we're at it!

What’s the qualifications between an Athletic Director & President of a university? .. Is it possible that some of the people that applied for the Athetic Director position would be interested in being president?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

McRobbie is the only IU president I’ve experienced, as my freshman year began fall 2007. The IU that I entered and the IU we see now (COVID aside) feel like two different schools, and depending on when you went to IU that could either be a good thing or a bad thing.

McRobbie helped revamp many of the facilities on campus, which were long due for an overhaul when I started. IU held its own and then some in the campus arms race. For what that’s worth in the world of COVID...what can anyone do about it at this point. IU is facing the same issue every other university is right now.

McRobbie helped IU become a destination school for OOS students, particularly for east coasters, like myself. Some of you may think we ruined the Breaking Away-like university older alumni may remember,  but I see IU apparel everywhere I go now, and that’s a good thing. Like it or not, the extra money brought by OOS students helped transform the campus and help the local Bloomington economy. 

Now turning to academics, I don’t know what IU was 40+ years ago, but in my time it has always been one of those “A+ schools for B+ students” type of schools. IU offers a great education, which is what is most important. I went to IU for undergrad and grad school, and while it is unsurprising that the grad students were of a higher caliber, I was somewhat unimpressed with many of my undergrad classmates, particularly those in the College of Arts and Sciences. Kelley and Jacobs attract a higher caliber student, but IU was way too easy to get into compared to many of its Big Ten peers when I began undergrad, especially given the quality of the education being provided. Say what you want about college losing its value, but lots of students aren’t living up to the school’s standards either. 

We haven’t done too well since then moving up in the university rankings lists, for whatever they’re worth, but the admission standards have gone up the last decade. IU remains a brand name university for many high school students, even without the help of a successful basketball or football program during that period. Our graduate programs have not lost steam at all, and this point is more important. McRobbie did also help bring an engineering program to IU, which is a big step for the university even if the program itself is limited in scope right now. 

I’m not going to get into it again about what McRobbie did or did not do with regard to our athletics department. That was debated to death in the Tom Crean and Fred Glass threads. This discussion really boils down to IUBB fans looking to blame everyone possible for the program’s lack of success the last two decades. We’ve made a couple of bad coaching hires, it’s that simple. There isn’t some massive double secret probation agenda to keep IU sports down by the administration. When basketball was good between 2011 and 2016, this school was ablaze in Hoosier fever. I always find it silly that some folks think if McRobbie “cared more” then we would’ve got Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan, or that Tom Crean could have cheated. 

So I’ll end this drawn out post that no one is going to read anyway with I came to IU during McRobbie’s first year, earned two degrees from the university, and look back at my time there with a lot of fond memories. College and grad school were two very successful chapters in my life, and I’m better off for having attended IU. President McRobbie played a part in making that happen, and I wish him the best in his retirement. 

Probably need a longer time period to reference.  But to me here is a symptom of the problem.  Years ago, when HD tv came out I caught the Little 500 on tv -- I think it was Cuban's channel at the time.  Fast forward to today.  I can watch a freaking hot dog eating contest on ESPN, can watch 12 year olds play baseball in August, but can't find the Little 5 anywhere (ok, it steams online).  How much money have they left on the table for the student foundation?  What kind of national publicity did they give up?  It could have been huge.  Duplicate that for basketball and these days, football.  

Someone has to have a GE mentality -- we want to be the best at everything we do.  Academics, athletics, etc.   If you're not first, your last.  

Interesting read from the Indiana Daily Student on McRobbie's tenure.  Here's a teaser:  

While McRobbie is hailed as a harbinger of technological innovation and international recognition, his tenure represents a history of empty promises and priorities that ignored a decaying campus life.

You would be hard-pressed to find a student or IU worker who has interacted with McRobbie personally. In stark contrast to IU’s most famous president, Herman B Wells, McRobbie’s inaccessibility and absence from IU Bloomington’s campus serve as defining features of his presidency. 

http://specials.idsnews.com/opinion-iu-mcrobbie-legacy-student-needs-harry-potter/

54 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Interesting read from the Indiana Daily Student on McRobbie's tenure.  Here's a teaser:  

While McRobbie is hailed as a harbinger of technological innovation and international recognition, his tenure represents a history of empty promises and priorities that ignored a decaying campus life.

You would be hard-pressed to find a student or IU worker who has interacted with McRobbie personally. In stark contrast to IU’s most famous president, Herman B Wells, McRobbie’s inaccessibility and absence from IU Bloomington’s campus serve as defining features of his presidency. 

http://specials.idsnews.com/opinion-iu-mcrobbie-legacy-student-needs-harry-potter/

Can’t say I disagree.  I haven’t heard of too many people in and around Bloomington crying over this.  

Just got this email, this is the website that is supposed to be linked; serious inquiries only ;) https://trustees.iu.edu/presidential-search/index.html

IU

Indiana University
Dear XXXX:

As you may know, Michael McRobbie recently announced his decision to step down from the Presidency at the end of this coming academic year. We appreciate the remarkable and many contributions Michael has made to the growth and advancement of IU over the past 13 years and we celebrate his tenure as President.  

The Board of Trustees is now beginning the formal process of recruiting a new president, a leader who can further build upon the university’s rich history and international reputation.

You are a valued member of the IU family, and we wanted you to be among the first to know that we launched a national search to recruit our next president. We are intent upon finding the very best candidates and welcome your suggestions and nominations for this very important leadership role.

Befitting the importance of our task, the Board has appointed a diverse and distinguished Search Committee and Search Advisory Committee and has carefully designed a process to assure that the Board has an exemplary pool of candidates to consider for the post. We invite you to go to our website to view a list of the individuals who are so graciously giving of their valuable time.

The Board retained the services of R. William Funk & Associates to work with them on this recruitment. Bill Funk, the firm’s President, is one of the most highly regarded higher education search consultants in the country and will personally work with the Search Committee and Board. Mr. Funk has worked with our university in the past and has an impressive track record of helping universities around the country attract outstanding new leaders.

Ours is a challenging task and we appreciate your support and help. If you would like to make a nomination, please forward your correspondence directly to the search firm via email to krisha.creal@rwilliamfunk.com.

Indiana University has grown and prospered dramatically over the years. It is an important institution that has positively changed the lives of thousands of individuals and has contributed significantly to the educational and economic life of the state, the nation and beyond. The Board of Trustees is committed to this wonderful legacy, and with your assistance, Indiana University will continue to be a beacon of what is best in public higher education.

Very truly yours,

Mike Mirro Signature
Mike Mirro
Chair,
Board of Trustees

Melanie Walker Signature
Melanie Walker
Co-Chair,
Search Committee

Harry Gonso Signature
Harry Gonso
Co-Chair,
Search Committee

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2021/04/search-for-new-iu-president-final-stages

IU announced the search for a new president is in its final stages, according to a press release. The IU Board of Trustees authorized four trustees to begin negotiations for a contract with a final candidate. The candidate has not yet been named.

The Board of Trustees said it anticipates announcing the new president this month, who will take over for outgoing President Michael McRobbie on July 1. The board has been searching for a replacement for President McRobbie since he announced his retirement in August 2020.