Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Pamela Whitten Replaces McRobbie as IU President

Not a particularly good look for the IU Board of Trustees.  The author later makes the claim that the consulting services payment made to McRobbie was never discussed nor approved in a public meeting as required by state law.

https://medium.com/@stevesan/you-have-no-idea-how-strange-this-process-has-been-the-difficult-search-for-iu-s-19th-president-f61b473014d4

59 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Not a particularly good look for the IU Board of Trustees.  The author later makes the claim that the consulting services payment made to McRobbie was never discussed nor approved in a public meeting as required by state law.

https://medium.com/@stevesan/you-have-no-idea-how-strange-this-process-has-been-the-difficult-search-for-iu-s-19th-president-f61b473014d4

Whoa! I wish I could share my research of our beloved University as well but it all becomes political.  Many questions need answered about McRobbie's tenure and the direction of our University.  Many pockets got lined, and I'll leave it at that for now.  

Paying McRobbie $582,000 for six months "consulting" (i.e., severance) bothers me more than the selection process. A closed process is probably not a good idea at a university. On the other hand, an open process means potential candidates will be attacked ruthlessly on social media causing good ones to drop out or avoid it altogether. Mike Woodson was selected head basketball coach in a closed process. When his name leaked, there was a lot of criticism but so far it appears to be a good decision. Not everyone will be happy no matter who is chosen. Choosing a president is the responsibility of the Trustees, not some ad hoc committee. Apparently their recommendation fell flat. In any event, not many IU presidents have been stellar since the days of Herman B Wells.  And, there aren't many people of Herman B Wells' calibre these days.

43 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Paying McRobbie $582,000 for six months "consulting" (i.e., severance) bothers me more than the selection process. A closed process is probably not a good idea at a university. On the other hand, an open process means potential candidates will be attacked ruthlessly on social media causing good ones to drop out or avoid it altogether. Mike Woodson was selected head basketball coach in a closed process. When his name leaked, there was a lot of criticism but so far it appears to be a good decision. Not everyone will be happy no matter who is chosen. Choosing a president is the responsibility of the Trustees, not some ad hoc committee. Apparently their recommendation fell flat. In any event, not many IU presidents have been stellar since the days of Herman B Wells.  And, there aren't many people of Herman B Wells' calibre these days.

It’s so much deeper than that.  We aren’t talking about head coaches.  We are talking a multi-billion dollar State University that is a “public school”.  

I never knew the governor appoints the majority of the trustees. That’s interesting. 

WayneFleekHoosie said, "I never knew the governor appoints the majority of the trustees."

You know that "we aren't talking about head coaches", but you don't know that the majority of IU Trustees are appointed the governor? How is that possible? In fact, the Trustees at most  universities are appointed, not elected. IU's process gives alumni more input than most.

58 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Paying McRobbie $582,000 for six months "consulting" (i.e., severance) bothers me more than the selection process. 

What irks me more than that is President Dundee has the option to return to IU in a year or so as a "professor" in a non-teaching capacity at 2/3 salary which amounts to $430K. Plus the post-prez sabbatical he's taking this academic year is at full salary too. 

4 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

WayneFleekHoosie said, "I never knew the governor appoints the majority of the trustees."

You know that "we aren't talking about head coaches", but you don't know that the majority of IU Trustees are appointed the governor? How is that possible? In fact, the Trustees at most  universities are appointed, not elected. IU's process gives alumni more input than most.

5 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Yes.

I said all those things you quoted.  “More input than most” is irrelevant when they don’t make up the majority and 1 appointing body is ultimately responsible for all decisions being made.  Flawed system, regardless.