Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

New Assistant Coach Hire Candidates

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:
  • Kenya Hunter's bread and butter recruiting territory is the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia)
  • A member of a national coaches social action committee

A personality profile:

If he’s heavily connected in the DMV, I would assume he knows Shawn Harmon. No way that’s a bad thing.

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:
  • Kenya Hunter's bread and butter recruiting territory is the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia)
  • A member of a national coaches social action committee

A personality profile:

Lots of talk about top talent and recruiting good kids.  That’s the key. Marry those things and you have a proud program. 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Some have said they feel he was Archie’s first choice throughout the process. It was reported there were 2 top targets they wanted and they landed one of them. Kudos to the staff

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Is it safe to assume that Griffin was the other lead candidate, or was there another name in the discussion that wasn't as public?

Hunter was also on the staff of Georgetown and worked with future NBA players there.  With Xavier previously.  While I don't really give a crap about East Coast connections, he does have experience at solid to good programs and working with future pros.

26 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Listened to this. Pretty solid listen. Likeable guy. He didn’t wow me, but he seems like a great fit for Archie. Knows he needs to get it done recruiting. Enjoys the work on skill development.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I read he's worked with bugs, but can he help with shooting?  I don't know if I've ever seen an Indiana team shoot so poorly.

I read he's worked with bugs, but can he help with shooting?  I don't know if I've ever seen an Indiana team shoot so poorly.

Not sure we needed an Entomologist. 🤣

If Archie, a great shooter can’t help with that, then they need >>>>>>>>>> more reps and better talent.

He was a guard, but it appears he’s willing to work with bigs or guards.

Archie has coached 2 of the worst shooting teams in Indiana history. That needs fixed yesterday.

12 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not sure we needed an Entomologist. emoji6.png

If Archie, a great shooter can’t help with that, then they need >>>>>>>>>> more reps and better talent.

He was a guard, but it appears he’s willing to work with bigs or guards.

Archie has coached 2 of the worst shooting teams in Indiana history. That needs fixed yesterday.

Somehow I caught the typo the first time and made the same mistake again.

It's pretty common for Miller's teams to struggle with shooting, it didn't just start when he got to IU.  That's concerning to me.

Somehow I caught the typo the first time and made the same mistake again.
It's pretty common for Miller's teams to struggle with shooting, it didn't just start when he got to IU.  That's concerning to me.

Hard to make any real sense of it. Besides he values athletes over shooting in recruiting. Leal is a shooter, but also an athlete, probably the most natural shooter he’s recruited to Indiana so far. Some guys are natural shooters. Shooting can improve. I think we see that on a minor scale. To me it comes back to recruiting priorities. Lots of those missed 3s are wide open, so as clunky as his offense has looked, the percentages I don’t think can be blamed on a bad system.

Hopefully we get guys shooting better and then everything will run more smoothly.

28 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Hard to make any real sense of it. Besides he values athletes over shooting in recruiting. Leal is a shooter, but also an athlete, probably the most natural shooter he’s recruited to Indiana so far. Some guys are natural shooters. Shooting can improve. I think we see that on a minor scale. To me it comes back to recruiting priorities. Lots of those missed 3s are wide open, so as clunky as his offense has looked, the percentages I don’t think can be blamed on a bad system.

Hopefully we get guys shooting better and then everything will run more smoothly.

It's not just 3s, we suck from the free throw line too and that's the easiest shot in the game.  We ranked a 219th in 3P% and 7th in B1G, but FT% we were even worse at 273rd nationally and 12th in B1G; as a team we shot 67.9% (67.3% in B1G) from the stripe.

Our best returning shooter is Durham at 38% from 3, but he only shot 81% from the line and that's nothing special for a guard.  Hunter shot 75% and Phinisee only shot 72.5%, that's 2nd and 3rd returning in FT%.

We're closer to being a good 3P team than FT team, and we're certainly nothing to write home about from 3.  We generally just suck at shooting, even if everyone wants to focus on the perimeter numbers.