Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

New Assistant Coach Hire Candidates

Guys ... we now have a true-blue through and through IU guy as an Assistant Coach. That box has already been checked

The next hire will very likely NOT be: Michael Lewis, AJ Guyton, Dan Dakich (lol), AJ Moye, Jordy Hulls, Sherron Wilkerson, any high school coach, Calbert Cheaney (sadface), or any other "household name." 

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

How about someone with a ton of experience at the NBA level and some at the college level? Avery Johnson?

For some reason, I thought he was the coach at Alabama but I looked it up and he is not there anymore. Good choice, always liked him, just wonder if he's too big for a college assistant job. 

I'm not saying Rangland wouldn't be a good hire, but I honestly had no idea who he was prior to someone mentioning his name. Now I'm also not enough of a basketball junkie to know if my lack of knowing him means anything, but is he a well respected and potentially sought after hire? Looking at his resume, he has the experience, but not necessarily a big name/home run hire from what I can see. 

In peoples opinion, would this be a home run hire?

54 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

I'm not saying Rangland wouldn't be a good hire, but I honestly had no idea who he was prior to someone mentioning his name. Now I'm also not enough of a basketball junkie to know if my lack of knowing him means anything, but is he a well respected and potentially sought after hire? Looking at his resume, he has the experience, but not necessarily a big name/home run hire from what I can see. 

In peoples opinion, would this be a home run hire?

Called a tireless recruiter in the article posted above and also read in a separate article that he has improved offenses where he has gone. If he can improve our offense and works the recruiting trail hard, then it's a home run hire for sure. Doesn't matter to me that I haven't heard of him before.

Guys ... we now have a true-blue through and through IU guy as an Assistant Coach. That box has already been checked
The next hire will very likely NOT be: Michael Lewis, AJ Guyton, Dan Dakich (lol), AJ Moye, Jordy Hulls, Sherron Wilkerson, any high school coach, Calbert Cheaney (sadface), or any other "household name." 

I have no problem if it's not an IU guy. I just mentioned Guyton because Moye and Cheaney were mentioned. Plus I have seen him saying he wanted to be part of IU on social media

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

True, but doing that with Tom Crean is nothing like doing that with others.

Ah well, I'm hoping for Ragland based on what I've read so far.

Didn't Cheaney previously indicate that he had no interest in the long hours and recruiting that went with a college job?

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

For some reason, I thought he was the coach at Alabama but I looked it up and he is not there anymore. Good choice, always liked him, just wonder if he's too big for a college assistant job. 

I don't think he's coaching anywhere right now but it could be good for him getting back into it. But he definitely has that experience and has those NBA ties and knows what it takes which could be intriguing to recruits. 

I’m all aboard for Ragland. Have heard nothing but good things about him, his name has been thrown around for openings at an IU Asst Level. Also was apparently a finalist for the UE job that went to Walter McCarty and then Lickliter took it over after Walter got himself in some trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Allen Griffin from Syracuse? Worked with Archie at Dayton. He is #1 is what is being said on Peegs. He played for Syracuse and Boeheim. I have a hard time believing he would leave his alma mater to come to IU to work with Archie again but who knows. Sounds like the 2nd choice is another East Coast guy with a lot of experience from a high major program. 

28 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Allen Griffin from Syracuse? Worked with Archie at Dayton. He is #1 is what is being said on Peegs. He played for Syracuse and Boeheim. I have a hard time believing he would leave his alma mater to come to IU to work with Archie again but who knows. Sounds like the 2nd choice is another East Coast guy with a lot of experience from a high major program. 

No idea whether this has legs, but it's easy to see how it could be possible: He's worked for both Archie and Boeheim, and he preferred his experience with Archie. With Comar and Ostrom from Dayton on staff he knows who he'd be working with.

No idea whether this has legs, but it's easy to see how it could be possible: He's worked for both Archie and Boeheim, and he preferred his experience with Archie. With Comar and Ostrom from Dayton on staff he knows who he'd be working with.

How do you know he preferred his time with Archie or is that the part you are not sure about.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app