Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Bruiser Could Leave for UK?

Cliff Marshall, Tim Garl, and maybe Bill Comar are the three that Archie really wants to have with him no matter what IMO. 

I think that Coach Roberts is really, really good, and that Tom Ostrom is a truly excellent recruiter, but it is normal course of business for successful assistants to move upward and onward on a semi-regular basis.

For what it's worth, I listened to the Hoosier Hysterics looooong podcasts of their IUBB fantasy camp experience, in which the HH podster was head-coached by Bruiser, and of the extended (two hour) Bruiser Flint interview. My take?

1. Bruiser is a really good guy.
  2. He is very savvy, with the context that comes from having been in the D1 game for upwards of thirty years.
  3. He is not a basketball coaching savant from a technical perspective.
  4. He had quite literally no relationship with Archie when Calipari recommended him to Archie and IU.
  5. He has as long and intertwined a relationship to Calipari as humanly possible. They are best buds through and through.
  6. He has been a good guy to have on staff, but is replaceable.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Cliff Marshall, Tim Garl, and maybe Bill Comar are the three that Archie really wants to have with him no matter what IMO. 

I think that Coach Roberts is really, really good, and that Tom Ostrom is a truly excellent recruiter, but it is normal course of business for successful assistants to move upward and onward on a semi-regular basis.

For what it's worth, I listened to the Hoosier Hysterics looooong podcasts of their IUBB fantasy camp experience, in which the HH podster was head-coached by Bruiser, and of the extended (two hour) Bruiser Flint interview. My take?

1. Bruiser is a really good guy.
  2. He is very savvy, with the context that comes from having been in the D1 game for upwards of thirty years.
  3. He is not a basketball coaching savant from a technical perspective.
  4. He had quite literally no relationship with Archie when Calipari recommended him to Archie and IU.
  5. He has as long and intertwined a relationship to Calipari as humanly possible. They are best buds through and through.
  6. He has been a good guy to have on staff, but is replaceable.

100% on Cliff too. He is special. I forgot to mention him. Bill is the most organized person I have ever been around. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

If UK was interested I would have hoped they already would have been sniffing. Fingers crossed 

They weren't interested BEFORE.

You can bet they'll be interested now.

Bruiser and Shawn Harmon apparently get along very well.

5 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Harmon's reaction to news is that it won't change interest in Indiana.  Nice to hear, but of course it can just be saying the right things:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/report-indiana-assistant-coach-bruiser-flint-will-join-longtime-friend-john-calipari-at-kentucky/

Look, if Archie wanted him on his staff, then it is a loss.  On one hand it stinks that UK can poach a coach from us.  On the other hand, that at least speaks somewhat to the quality that Flint would bring.  

From what I've seen and come to understand, Bruiser was pretty crucial in communicating with some of the families of recruits and players.  I've even seen quotes from parents that they feel better having Bruiser there with their kids.  And yes, much of this is absolutely because he is a black man.  Archie, I'm sure, is keeping this in mind as he considers his next hire.  It matters.  (Good souls I hope I didn't just spark a nasty discussion here.)

Also, can we agree the name alone is irreplaceable?  Bruiser Flint?  Are you kidding me?  Coolest name ever.  

God forbid it start a nasty discussion, you're just stating the obvious.

36 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Aminu Mohammed

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I won't pretend to be incredibly inside here, but it's my understanding that at this point Archie is communicating directly with Mohammed/Harmon and has been for a while. The only impact Flint's departure would have is if he convinced Cal to jump in. That would absolutely be a problem.