Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2019) PF Trayce Jackson-Davis to INDIANA

Named to the Naismith Watch List.

The Atlanta Tipoff Club announced today the 2021 Jersey Mike’s Naismith Trophy Watch List, which 50 of the top players in college basketball.

Among the candidates is Indiana sophomore forward and Preseason All-American Trayce Jackson-Davis.  A graduate of Center Grove High School, Jackson-Davis was named third-team All-Big Ten after he started all 32 games and averaged a team-high 13.5 points for the Hoosiers last season.  He was one of only four freshmen in the country to lead his team in scoring, rebounding, free throw percentage and blocks.  He finished second in the league in field goal percentage (56.6), and 7th in blocked shots (1.9) and rebounds (8.4).  He also led the team with 115 free throws made in 168 attempts and set an IU freshman record with 270 rebounds.  He led the team with 59 blocked shots.  He also was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team. He also is on the watch list for the Karl Malone Award.

Hoosier legends Scott May (1976) and Calbert Cheaney (1993) are former recipients of the award.  Victor Oladipo was a finalist for the honor in 2013.

“The beginning of the season is filled with excitement, optimism and anticipation as each team and every player is undefeated, making the race for the Jersey Mike’s Naismith Trophy wide open. While these 50 candidates are those to keep an eye on, there will be plenty of others who will enter the competition throughout the season,” said Eric Oberman, executive director of the Atlanta Tipoff Club. “This year will be especially exciting as players who were unable to finish their seasons last year have even more to prove.”

A list of the midseason 30 team will be released in early February, followed by the 10 national semifinalists and four finalists on March 4, 2021, and March 16, 2021, respectively. Players who do not make the watch list are still eligible to be selected for the midseason 30 team. The 2021 Jersey Mike’s Naismith Trophy will be awarded during the Final Four at the Naismith Awards Brunch on April 4, 2021.

“As we sponsor the collegiate honor for the first year, Jersey Mike’s is excited to partner with the Naismith Trophy,” said Rich Hope, chief marketing officer, Jersey Mike’s Franchise Systems, Inc. “We look forward to following these stellar athletes throughout the season and honoring one of these talented players as the winner of the 2021 Jersey Mike’s Naismith Trophy.”

247Sports - 

Indiana sophomore forward Trayce Jackson-Davis has been named to the Division I Player of the Year Watch List by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

Jackson-Davis was one of only four freshman nationally a year ago to lead his team in scoring, rebounds, field goal percentage, free throws made, free throws attempted and blocked shots.

Jackson-Davis has been named to several Preseason All-American teams and is also on the watch lists for the Naismith Award (national player of the year) and Karl Malone Award (nation’s best power forward).

As a freshman, he was named third team All-Big Ten. He had 12 double-doubles, the most by an IU player since D.J. White had 20 in 2007-08.

The 2019 Indiana Mr. Basketball and a McDonald’s All-American from Center Grove High School, Jackson-Davis averaged a team- best 13.5 points and 8.4 rebounds for Indiana as a freshman.

The 2021 NABC Division I Player of the Year award will be announced during the 2021 AT&T NABC Guardians of the Game Awards Show, which takes place alongside the NABC Convention and Final Four. Former Dayton standout Obi Toppin won the award last season.

2021 NABC Division I Player of the Year powered by ShotTracker – Preseason Watch List
Brandon Boston Jr., Kentucky (G-Fr.)
Garrison Brooks, North Carolina (F-Sr.)
Jared Butler, Baylor (G-Jr.)
Jalen Crutcher, Dayton (G-Sr.)
Cade Cunningham, Oklahoma State (G-Fr.)
Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois (G-Jr.)
Marcus Garrett, Kansas (G-Sr.)
Luka Garza, Iowa (C-Sr.)
Collin Gillespie, Villanova (G-Sr.)
Sam Hauser, Virginia (F-R-Sr.)

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana (F-So.)
Keyontae Johnson, Florida (F-Jr.)
Corey Kispert, Gonzaga (F-Sr.)
Remy Martin, Arizona State (G-Sr.)
Evan Mobley, USC (F-Fr.)
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Villanova (F-So.)
Oscar Tshiebwe, West Virginia (F-So.)
Trendon Watford, LSU (F-So.)
McKinley Wright IV, Colorado (G-Sr.)
Marcus Zegarowski, Creighton (G-Jr.)

31 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

I love the kid but to me right now. He isn’t even that. So much to work on. I’ll leave it at that. I’d love to see him get to the league

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He's a center. No shame in being a rebounding, rim protecting cleanup man. Being 6-9 and playing center isn't uncommon anymore. Ask the Celtics.

Jared Jeffries was very similar to TJD. Indiana Mr. Basketball. JJ played for the Hoosiers for two seasons. Jeffries led the team to the NCAA championship game, but he had a much stronger supporting cast than TJD currently has. Like TJD he couldn't shoot. Nearly all of his points came from layups, dunks and free throws.  Jeffries had a solid NBA career because he could rebound and play defense. Of course, Jared Jeffries was 6'11" and TJD is only 6'9" which makes some difference at their position in the NBA. Nonetheless, I would be very surprised if TJD stays in college another year, particularly with the average players IU has to surround him. But stranger things have happened.

Jared Jeffries was very similar to TJD. Indiana Mr. Basketball. JJ played for the Hoosiers for two seasons. Jeffries led the team to the NCAA championship game, but he had a much stronger supporting cast than TJD currently has. Like TJD he couldn't shoot. Nearly all of his points came from layups, dunks and free throws.  Jeffries had a solid NBA career because he could rebound and play defense. Of course, Jared Jeffries was 6'11" and TJD is only 6'9" which makes some difference at their position in the NBA. Nonetheless, I would be very surprised if TJD stays in college another year, particularly with the average players IU has to surround him. But stranger things have happened.

I’m sorry but TJD and JJ are nothing alike as far as their basketball abilities. I haven’t looked this up but I remember him being a roughly 1/3 3pt shooter for his career at IU

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I have been poking around on different NBA draft sites and haven't seen much of TJD. CBS released this list today and TJD is nowhere to be found. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2021-nba-draft-big-board-oklahoma-states-cade-cunningham-leads-first-prospect-rankings/

NBA draft net doesn't have him listed in their mock draft either. Espn hasn't updated in awhile but he was a late 2nd round last I checked. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He fits. He just has to own it. 6-9 center that can rebound and dunk. 

That sounds like an undrafted free agent/D-League signing to me. Nothing wrong with that, but not worth leaving college early, IMO. 

Unless he's had enough of the current state of IU BB