Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Name, Image & Likeness (NIL)

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Raby - As point of order - and Fred Glass emphasized this when we spoke - NIL deals are not and can not be contingent on players returning to school in the fall. The deals are made at face value at the time they are made.

You really gonna give race a 6 fig deal if he doesnt plan on coming back tho? I dont think so. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

You really gonna give race a 6 fig deal if he doesnt plan on coming back tho? I dont think so. 

I would never donate again to them. Not that would be a big deal. But that would just be bad business all around giving money to guys leaving and those players taking that kind of money. 

15 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Raby - As point of order - and Fred Glass emphasized this when we spoke - NIL deals are not and can not be contingent on players returning to school in the fall. The deals are made at face value at the time they are made.

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I would never donate again to them. Not that would be a big deal. But that would just be bad business all around giving money to guys leaving and those players taking that kind of money. 

Kinda like when Butch McRae wanted to leave Western University and asked if his mom could keep the house the boosters bought her. Pete Bell was having none of it. 

Not in Hall of Fame - Butch McRae

Wonder if NIL had been around a few years ago, would Romeo have stayed in school for another year?

Seems if I read that he actually sorta liked college, but his family wasn't doing well at all and he needed to make some money. Had he been able to make six figures as a freshman or sophomore, would that have helped tide things over until he went to the NBA? 

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Wonder if NIL had been around a few years ago, would Romeo have stayed in school for another year?

Seems if I read that he actually sorta liked college, but his family wasn't doing well at all and he needed to make some money. Had he been able to make six figures as a freshman or sophomore, would that have helped tide things over until he went to the NBA? 

Probably not. A lottery pick makes more than that. 

And a new wrinkle.  In a nutshell, '24 Nassir Cunningham will sign with OTE but forego a salary which presumably preserves any college eligibility should he eventually go that route.  At the same time he'll be able to make NIL money while in high school.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33803461/naasir-cunningham-no-1-high-school-basketball-recruit-2024-sign-elite-keep-college-eligibility