Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Name, Image & Likeness (NIL)

25 minutes ago, VO5 said:

That money came from shoe companies in the hopes that those highly ranked kids would sign with them once they hit the NBA. TJD is a fringe NBA player who doesn’t have that kind of value. 

It’s still the free market they weren’t just bidding against other shoe companies they were bidding against boosters as well. And from stories I have heard a certain Syracuse’s coach own pocket. 

The idea that college stars are going to start making less money now that they can profit off their likeness is just mind boggling. 

And your exactly right TJD is a fringe NBA player but he’s a stud in college.  Why wouldn’t some booster want to keep him around?  He seem so hung up on the person making the payment getting equal Monetary return in exchange for it and that’s the issue.  Boosters don’t get monetary return and they have existed for decades.  

14 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Depends on the professional offer.  But he has to make the choice before he actually has the offer.  Guaranteed vs potential income   

Not saying it’s likely.  Currently he doesn’t appear poised to get drafted.  Hopefully he has a great year and that changes.

I’m just saying that it’s now possible for a booster who thinks a player could be the missing link to keep the team together.  

Also these guys need to remember that if they go pro that they have to hire an agent which cost a lot.  Also you usually hire a personal trainer which will take more of your money.  If you stay in school and get a good NIL deal you keep all of it except for taxes.

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

https://www.josecolorado.com/overseas-basketball-salaries

Outside of the US there is one league that pays on average millions.  And that’s average not for a rookie.  The vast majority of leagues you would hope to make 6 figures. 

That's a great link, appreciate it...

I agree that starting out, TJD would not get millions overseas.  Someone with his college pedigree would almost certainly be playing in either the top European leagues or China, so he'd probably start out making 6 figures pretty easily.  With good performance that could increase into the millions.

Our program needs to get back to a national level for our men to get big endorsement deals. Right now we’re coming off a horrible season and havent made the tournament since 2016. Zeller and Oladipo would’ve got good offers in 2012. Yogi would have too in 2016. We just need to get back to that level. 

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Sorry to the traditionalists, but this may mean names on the back in the near future. Cuz what's the difference between an Eric Gordon #23 and a TJD #23? Maybe there's a compromise like the Yankees have where they keep the game jerseys nameless but sell jerseys to fans with current players names on the back.

1 hour ago, LIHoosier said:

Sorry to the traditionalists, but this may mean names on the back in the near future. Cuz what's the difference between an Eric Gordon #23 and a TJD #23? Maybe there's a compromise like the Yankees have where they keep the game jerseys nameless but sell jerseys to fans with current players names on the back.

As long as game jerseys are nameless I’m all good.  Or maybe a cool tradition could evolve where seniors get to wear their name on senior night. 

5 hours ago, moyemayhem said:

That's a great link, appreciate it...

I agree that starting out, TJD would not get millions overseas.  Someone with his college pedigree would almost certainly be playing in either the top European leagues or China, so he'd probably start out making 6 figures pretty easily.  With good performance that could increase into the millions.

Yeah but there’s nothing to stop them from doing that the year after they take a payday and stay in college 

The @NHRA has signed Indiana basketball players Anthony Leal and Michael Durr to NIL deals to promote this weekend's U.S. Nationals drag races in Indy. 3 football players – Michael Penix, Ty Fryfogle and Sean Wracher – are involved too.

53 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I LOVE to see our coach thinking that players being able to walk away from a program anytime they like will not be an IUBB problem.

*Mods feel free to move this.*

Tamar has his first basketball card available through Topps for those who collect cards & memorabilia, see link below.  If interested, it looks like the card is available through next Wednesday and there are a few higher priced autographs available on the site as well starting at $65 or so if that is your jam.

https://www.topps.com/cards-collectibles/topps-now/tamar-bates-2022-bowman-next-topps-now-reg-basketball-card-12.html

770511811_ScreenShot2022-01-06at6_01_59PM.thumb.png.cacaaacb5dadce77d8a9e71807c260f5.png

*Mods feel free to move this.*
Tamar has his first basketball card available through Topps for those who collect cards & memorabilia, see link below.  If interested, it looks like the card is available through next Wednesday and there are a few higher priced autographs available on the site as well starting at $65 or so if that is your jam.
https://www.topps.com/cards-collectibles/topps-now/tamar-bates-2022-bowman-next-topps-now-reg-basketball-card-12.html
770511811_ScreenShot2022-01-06at6_01_59PM.thumb.png.cacaaacb5dadce77d8a9e71807c260f5.png

Looks like he has his jersey on backwards.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

On 10/2/2021 at 3:27 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Indiana G Tamar Bates has signed with Excel Sports Management for NIL representation.  Excel describes itself as an industry-leading management and marketing agency for talent, brands and properties.

What are the letters on his jersey?  It certainly doesn't look like an E, S, or M.  It looks much more like an S and G (perhaps for shooting guard???).  I only ask because if those are supposed to be an E and an S for Excel Sports, then they are not excelling at making logos which are legible.

What are the letters on his jersey?  It certainly doesn't look like an E, S, or M.  It looks much more like an S and G (perhaps for shooting guard???).  I only ask because if those are supposed to be an E and an S for Excel Sports, then they are not excelling at making logos which are legible.
53 maybe?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using BtownBanners mobile app