Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Name, Image & Likeness (NIL)

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I believe Lander signed something with a gaming company where you can pay to game with him.

Khristian Lander announces on Instagram that he’s partnering with Yoke Gaming, which will allow fans to play video games with him

42 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

One of Master P’s sons had his own episode of MTV Cribs when he still a kid. I would consider this an outlier.

Yeah, Hercy Miller was a 3 star recruit. This endorsement deal is because his dad is Master P. This won’t be the norm, imo.

Also funny that his name is Hercy, his brother is Mercy, and his dad is Percy. Lol. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yeah, Hercy Miller was a 3 star recruit. This endorsement deal is because his dad is Master P. This won’t be the norm, imo.

Also funny that his name is Hercy, his brother is Mercy, and his dad is Percy. Lol. 

Shouldn’t his sister be Her-cy?

13 minutes ago, Southside said:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2021/07/02/roundup-what-iu-basketball-players-are-saying-about-name-image-and-likeness-on-social-media/

I have zero problem with NIL in theory, but boy I hope it's not a distraction. Love seeing the tweet from XJ.

I would argue that the previous NCAA rules against this sort of thing will prove to have been more of a distraction than NIL. I can’t count how many prominent collegiate players openly voiced their frustration about the hypocrisy of the NCAA. This is a good thing imho. Will help schools like IU and others with sizable alumni/fanbases. 

18 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I would argue that the previous NCAA rules against this sort of thing will prove to have been more of a distraction than NIL. I can’t count how many prominent collegiate players openly voiced their frustration about the hypocrisy of the NCAA. This is a good thing imho. Will help schools like IU and others with sizable alumni/fanbases. 

I honestly don't care about prominent players being frustrated though lol. At worst, students athletes were given a free education. And a lot of the money went to funding sports and athletes in not so prominent sports and areas. 

There are lots of nuances to the whole topic. I do think the NCAA has been hypocritical though. It developed into a business a long time ago, and a lot of people have made money off of athletes. Now had the NCAA not been such money grubbing ***** for decades, I might think differently.

At the end of the day, there used to be some level of amateurism in college sports, and those days were really nice. Now big schools are more about the money, care very little about grades (only that players remain eligible), and kids are mostly interested in getting to the next level rather than getting an education.

The bigger question is where does it end lol. I'm just waiting on some HS kids to start demanding their cut lol. 

On the topic of distraction though, it's a real concern. Just like one of our players has signed on to a business where people can pay money to play video games with their favorite players. Do you really want your players trying to carve out time during the week away from classes and practice to play video games and collect a pay check. Now I'm sure most will be responsible, but as we all know, some people suffer with common sense issues. I don't know what the rules are, but I would hope that schools/kids limit this kind of activity during the season.

4 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

Annnndddd…college athletes are officially salaried employees while in college. 

Add nine more boosters to this one guy and each U football player will collect $60k annually for their occasional social media posts, all while receiving fully paid for room and board at their university.

This may put a serious hurt on smaller fan bases—potentially great for a mega-fan base like IU. ESPECIALLY when it’s applied to a 13 player basketball roster.

Think of it this way:

For about $300,000 a year a booster can “hire” every IU bball player at $2,000 a month. If the program collects 20 boosters at that average rate, each IUBball player would be collecting $480,000 annually.

That’s not an entirely far-fetched scenario.

9 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Annnndddd…college athletes are officially salaried employees while in college. 

Add nine more boosters to this one guy and each U football player will collect $60k annually for their occasional social media posts, all while receiving fully paid for room and board at their university.

This may put a serious hurt on smaller fan bases—potentially great for a mega-fan base like IU. ESPECIALLY when it’s applied to a 13 player basketball roster.

Think of it this way:

For about $300,000 a year a booster can “hire” every IU bball player at $2,000 a month. If the program collects 20 boosters at that average rate, each IUBball player would be collecting $480,000 annually.

That’s not an entirely far-fetched scenario.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been going on for years already and instead of getting paid a small stipend weekly/monthly, they got a sizable 'pension' when they left school so technically they weren't students anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been going on for years already and instead of getting paid a small stipend weekly/monthly, they got a sizable 'pension' when they left school so technically they weren't students anymore.

IMO, a lot were getting paid in tattoos as well

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app