Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

Recommended Posts

A glimpse at what high school football could look like this fall.  I am keeping stats for our local team and have heard of our plan — cleared by the county health department.  
 

IHSAA guidelines:  250 fans per “bleacher”;  one side of the field may have multiple “bleachers” if the sections are not attached.  If a school uses multiple “bleachers” on a side, they need to have a separate entrance for each set of bleachers.

As a for instance, one local school (not where I am at) has a ticket limitation of 1500 (combined, hone and road).  This likely is about 1000 home and 500 road.  On the hone side, if there are 7 “sections” of seats, they could use the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th sections, making sure to give no more than 250 in any section.  If the visitors side has 4 sections, they could use either the second or fourth, with no more than 250 per section.  For this particular school, I would predict they will not sell 1500 tickets for every game.

The school I am at and will be keeping stats for us a very football intensive community and had a very good team last year and again this year.  The seating capacity of our stadium is 6,000.....I would say that there are around 3800 seats on the hone side and 2200 on the visitors.  On a typical Friday night, I would say that there are between 2000 and 2500 home fans (although in a big game it will be 3000 to 3500).  Visiting fan numbers vary widely....schools that don’t travel well may only have a couple hundred fans;  teams that travel well may have a max of 1200 to 1500.

Our plan, approved by the county health department, will see a cap of about 1600 — I am envisioning this as either a 1000 hone, 600 away cap or 1100 home, 500 away cap.  Football players are given first dibs on up to four tickets for each game, so approximately 30% of the tickets will be going to players families.  The remaining tickets can be purchased by students/community.  Tickets must be purchased in advance — no walk up day of game tickets to avoid congregation at the ticket booth and overflow.  I believe our plan calls for fans to wear masks.....don’t if mandated or requested because of the way the executive order reads, but I am expecting a higher rate of compliance than at, say, a public beach, but probably less than you would see at a typical indoor business.  I can tell you what I observe after the first game.

Per IHSAA suggestion, players in the sideline are not allowed to be spaced from 10 yard line to 10 yard line instead of normal 30 to 30 in order to spread out.  Players will mostly wear masks when not in game....likely exception will be a player who is going to be in and out of the game quickly.  
 

there will be more breaks during the game where footballs are replaced.  Likely will be no post game handshake line.

teams with a lot of players will likely limit the number that travel to away games.

who knows if it will work out or not — a lot of luck is going to be involved in which teams have their operations changed due to covid cases.  I believe that a higher rate of athletes than non-athletes will choose to go virtual in school if their district offers a choice to avoid the possibility of either catching covid in school classrooms or having to quarantine because of someone sitting next to someone in the class that catches it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Technically, this isn't virus-related, but it was retweeted by Rex Chapeman (yes, I know he went to UK ...), so maybe that takes care of the sports requirement.
 If this don't get you in the heart, you might not have a heart ... 
 
 
He retweets a lot of cool stuff like this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

And apparently now there are questions as to whether or not a vote to cancel the fall football season was even held.

I'd link Nicole Auerbach's twitter if I knew how, but evidently there are a few ADs/college presidents who don't know if a vote even took place.

Adding that to the non-answers from Warren, and things are starting to look rather peculiar.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it weren't.   Kevin Warren is not close to qualified to run an athletic conference.   I don't care how many law degrees he has, the personal and competition elements of it are incredibly beyond his realm of leadership.  I know he was the COO of the Vikings, but he shows about as much understanding of how to run the Big Ten as sportswriters do about covering sports.   It's really sad what the Big Ten has become.   It's now a politically correct, err on the side of extreme and over-caution, let's try to please everyone, kumbaya, over-thinking, over-assume their position of leadership in college sports bastion of ignorance and "everyone gets a trophy."   God, I miss John Ryan, Ralph Floyd, and Wayne Duke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live right behind the DuPont Manual stadium here in Louisville...like, my back yard backs into the bleachers across the alley. It’s a huge stadium and they’re a big football school, almost always making it to the Kentucky state playoffs. They're making a decision Thursday to see if Jefferson County Public will play sports. Since I moved in right after lockdown, I have yet to experience a “Friday night lights” game. I’m honestly not going to be upset if they cancel because according to my neighbors it gets LOUD.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

A glimpse at what high school football could look like this fall.  I am keeping stats for our local team and have heard of our plan — cleared by the county health department.  
 

IHSAA guidelines:  250 fans per “bleacher”;  one side of the field may have multiple “bleachers” if the sections are not attached.  If a school uses multiple “bleachers” on a side, they need to have a separate entrance for each set of bleachers.

As a for instance, one local school (not where I am at) has a ticket limitation of 1500 (combined, hone and road).  This likely is about 1000 home and 500 road.  On the hone side, if there are 7 “sections” of seats, they could use the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th sections, making sure to give no more than 250 in any section.  If the visitors side has 4 sections, they could use either the second or fourth, with no more than 250 per section.  For this particular school, I would predict they will not sell 1500 tickets for every game.

The school I am at and will be keeping stats for us a very football intensive community and had a very good team last year and again this year.  The seating capacity of our stadium is 6,000.....I would say that there are around 3800 seats on the hone side and 2200 on the visitors.  On a typical Friday night, I would say that there are between 2000 and 2500 home fans (although in a big game it will be 3000 to 3500).  Visiting fan numbers vary widely....schools that don’t travel well may only have a couple hundred fans;  teams that travel well may have a max of 1200 to 1500.

Our plan, approved by the county health department, will see a cap of about 1600 — I am envisioning this as either a 1000 hone, 600 away cap or 1100 home, 500 away cap.  Football players are given first dibs on up to four tickets for each game, so approximately 30% of the tickets will be going to players families.  The remaining tickets can be purchased by students/community.  Tickets must be purchased in advance — no walk up day of game tickets to avoid congregation at the ticket booth and overflow.  I believe our plan calls for fans to wear masks.....don’t if mandated or requested because of the way the executive order reads, but I am expecting a higher rate of compliance than at, say, a public beach, but probably less than you would see at a typical indoor business.  I can tell you what I observe after the first game.

Per IHSAA suggestion, players in the sideline are not allowed to be spaced from 10 yard line to 10 yard line instead of normal 30 to 30 in order to spread out.  Players will mostly wear masks when not in game....likely exception will be a player who is going to be in and out of the game quickly.  
 

there will be more breaks during the game where footballs are replaced.  Likely will be no post game handshake line.

teams with a lot of players will likely limit the number that travel to away games.

who knows if it will work out or not — a lot of luck is going to be involved in which teams have their operations changed due to covid cases.  I believe that a higher rate of athletes than non-athletes will choose to go virtual in school if their district offers a choice to avoid the possibility of either catching covid in school classrooms or having to quarantine because of someone sitting next to someone in the class that catches it.

A little clarification -- I've seen the letter sent parents and the community in general -- instead of alternating sections being marked off, it looks like alternate rows, so for instance if there were ten rows going up marked A through J, fans could sit in A, C, E, G, and I;  the others would be marked off.  Fans are to sit six feet apart (I assume this applies to people not in the same family).  The math actually works out think that there is space to give the six feet between people that would need to socially distance between people outside of your family that are at the game.  I'm not naive enough to think that everyone will space between non-family members, but I the space is there.  There will be a designated student section that will be supervised so that area will probably be the best in terms of spacing.  All fans are to have a face covering unless eating or drinking.

While there certainly could be a covid spread, I'm not sure what else could be done short of having no fans or very few fans.  I think there will be a decent rate of compliance because of the ever present threat that the school could simply go to a smaller fan limit or a no fan option if there isn't compliance (several schools in the area have already but very stringent limits or no fans for game one and there are four teams that have already removed fall athletics and a couple of others who have chosen to not play until September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

I live right behind the DuPont Manual stadium here in Louisville...like, my back yard backs into the bleachers across the alley. It’s a huge stadium and they’re a big football school, almost always making it to the Kentucky state playoffs. They're making a decision Thursday to see if Jefferson County Public will play sports. Since I moved in right after lockdown, I have yet to experience a “Friday night lights” game. I’m honestly not going to be upset if they cancel because according to my neighbors it gets LOUD.  

I can tell you that in Indiana, several teams -- particularly tradtionally large drawing schools are getting televised agreements with broadcasting companies.  My school's high school has been live streaming the football games on youtube for the past couple of years;  it's decent production for high school, but not as good as when a regional coverage broadcast covers it.  This year, for the first time, the regional radio and tv network is actually paying the school for the rights to televise all of our games.  With the number of fans allowed at the stadium dropped, there is more of a need for televised coverage and they can expect their ad revenue to go up.  It's one way for a school to recoup lost revenue at the gate.  The IHSAA is providing links to a number of broadcasts as well as broadcasting a few themselves;  this Friday there are 23 games that can be viewed (14 for free, 9 require an access fee).  Considering there are just over 300 teams, or around 150-160 games per week, there are a decent number that can be viewed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Technically, this isn't virus-related, but it was retweeted by Rex Chapeman (yes, I know he went to UK ...), so maybe that takes care of the sports requirement.

 If this don't get you in the heart, you might not have a heart ... 
 

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I want to know is what do the ACC, SEC and Big 12 medical people and administrators know that the B1G's don't? Or vice versa.

 

I get mid-majors like Mountain West and MAC pulling the plug on spring football -- they don't have money to continually test players and staff and really work to ensure their safety. But it seems to me (and I'm sure I'm being too simplistic here) that the Power 5 conferences should be on the same page -- either everyone plays, or nobody plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

All I want to know is what do the ACC, SEC and Big 12 medical people and administrators know that the B1G's don't? Or vice versa.

 

I get mid-majors like Mountain West and MAC pulling the plug on spring football -- they don't have money to continually test players and staff and really work to ensure their safety. But it seems to me (and I'm sure I'm being too simplistic here) that the Power 5 conferences should be on the same page -- either everyone plays, or nobody plays. 

The PAC 12 came to the same conclusion as the Big, but went even further in stopping athletics through the end of the calendar year.

one theory I heard floated around on ESPN radio after the news broke about the Big Ten was that the feeling was that once students returned to campus that the spread was going to shut down the campuses within a month.  It did happen at UNC and Notre Dame now and I believe that Michigan (or Mich St)? has already decided to go virtual.  It’s possible that although there were concerns about a spread among their players there was a bigger concern about a spread in those college towns on game days even without fans in the stands as they tailgated and packed places.  Just a theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It points out one thing I don't get.....the criticism of Warren and acting like it was he alone that pulled the plug.  Warren would be negligent in his duty if he went against the overwhelming opinion of the conference members.  It was obvious that whether there was an 'official' vote or not, there were only a couple of schools presidents or chancellors who were in favor of playing.  It is the school president's job to be in communication with all parties involved at their school to help form that opinion.  That is not on Warren if there is a disagreement between a school president or athletic staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

It points out one thing I don't get.....the criticism of Warren and acting like it was he alone that pulled the plug.  Warren would be negligent in his duty if he went against the overwhelming opinion of the conference members.  It was obvious that whether there was an 'official' vote or not, there were only a couple of schools presidents or chancellors who were in favor of playing.  It is the school president's job to be in communication with all parties involved at their school to help form that opinion.  That is not on Warren if there is a disagreement between a school president or athletic staff.

I think most are disgusted with how this was handled and is being handled. It's literally a circus right now and the BIG is getting ripped publicly because of it. That alone is on Warren. He is paid millions to do much better than this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I think most are disgusted with how this was handled and is being handled. It's literally a circus right now and the BIG is getting ripped publicly because of it. That alone is on Warren. He is paid millions to do much better than this. 

I just think he was put in a situation where he was set up to be the scapegoat.  For instance, if the Big Ten presidents felt there was a better chance to earn revenue with the possibility of games with fans -- albeit in the possibility of a limited fashion -- in the spring as opposed to in the fall without fans, he likely would not be given the green light to say so publicly.  IMO, he is paid millions of dollars partially to take heat when the conference members don't want to do so individually.  I don't everything he is saying publicly is what the presidents have allowed him to say.

Conference commisioners, IMO, may provide some guidance but at the end of the day the Big commisioner has 14 bosses pulling the strings.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I just think he was put in a situation where he was set up to be the scapegoat.  For instance, if the Big Ten presidents felt there was a better chance to earn revenue with the possibility of games with fans -- albeit in the possibility of a limited fashion -- in the spring as opposed to in the fall without fans, he likely would not be given the green light to say so publicly.  IMO, he is paid millions of dollars partially to take heat when the conference members don't want to do so individually.  I don't everything he is saying publicly is what the presidents have allowed him to say.

Conference commisioners, IMO, may provide some guidance but at the end of the day the Big commisioner has 14 bosses pulling the strings.  

Yeah I guess we will disagree on how much power he has. I know Jim Delaney would not have settled to just be a scapegoat in this situation. I think it would have been handled quite differently, but yes that is just speculation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

It points out one thing I don't get.....the criticism of Warren and acting like it was he alone that pulled the plug.  Warren would be negligent in his duty if he went against the overwhelming opinion of the conference members.  It was obvious that whether there was an 'official' vote or not, there were only a couple of schools presidents or chancellors who were in favor of playing.  It is the school president's job to be in communication with all parties involved at their school to help form that opinion.  That is not on Warren if there is a disagreement between a school president or athletic staff.

A lot of people just don't understand how these decisions are made and "shoot the messenger."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mike Schumann said:

A lot of people just don't understand how these decisions are made and "shoot the messenger."

 The messenger is being shot in this case because he muffed the message. I mean when coaches, AD's, AND players are complaining about the lack of communication how is it not on partially on him?

Edit: I mean wouldn't those be people who DO understand how these decisions are made?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×