Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I would be surprised if it's not at full capacity. You might have to wear a mask but they're going to have a lot of people in there. It would have to come from someone not affiliated with IU to tell them they can't have a full house. The new president has an opinion on all of this and it is much different than McRobbie. 

Thank God if true.  I’ll remain a skeptic though until noticeable changes in philosophy.  

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Thank God if true.  I’ll remain a skeptic though until noticeable changes in philosophy.  

There was a reason why the vaccine mandate was announced in June before she took over. Also, a reason why it was announced that you no longer had to wear a mask on campus was announced on July 2nd, since she took over on July 1st. I'm not on either side but she has made it known to people that how she feels. 

There was a reason why the vaccine mandate was announced in June before she took over. Also, a reason why it was announced that you no longer had to wear a mask on campus was announced on July 2nd, since she took over on July 1st. I'm not on either side but she has made it known to people that how she feels. 
I can second this. I've heard her philosophy is anti-mandate. This was told to me before we reinstated the mask policy for campus, but I assume that's tied to the fact Bloomington City Council is bringing it back.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Supreme Court justice won't block IU vaccine mandate

WASHINGTON — Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett on Thursday refused to block a plan by Indiana University to require students and employees to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

Barrett’s action came in response to an emergency request from eight students, and it marked the first time the high court has weighed in on a vaccine mandate. Some corporations, states and cities have adopted vaccine requirements for workers or even to dine indoors, and others are considering doing so.

The students said in court papers that they have “a constitutional right to bodily integrity, autonomy, and of medical treatment choice in the context of a vaccination mandate.” They wanted the high court to issue an order barring the university from enforcing the mandate. Seven of the students qualify for a religious exemption.

College officials across the country have struggled with whether to require vaccinations, with some schools mandating them and others questioning whether they have legal authority to do so. Similar lawsuits against student vaccine requirements have been filed in other states.

The court’s newest justice rejected the plea without even asking the university for a response or getting her colleagues to weigh in. Justices often act on their own in such situations when the legal question isn’t particularly close. Barrett handles emergency matters from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit, which includes Indiana.

A three-judge federal appeals court panel, including two judges appointed by former President Donald Trump, was one of two lower courts to side with Indiana University and allow it to require the vaccinations, even as legal proceedings continue. The plan announced in May requires roughly 90,000 students and 40,000 employees on seven campuses to receive COVID-19 vaccinations for the fall semester.

Students who don’t comply will have their registration canceled and workers who don’t will lose their jobs. The policy does have religious and medical exemptions, but exempt students must be tested twice a week for the disease. The school recently announced that for now, everyone, regardless of vaccination status, must wear a mask indoors while on campus.

I’m capable of having a civil debate and so are you, Stuhoo. I’ll cease and desist, but it’s sad that our rights are being infringed in every possible way imaginable. And our avenues to speak out against such violations are getting shut down at even faster rates.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m capable of having a civil debate and so are you, Stuhoo. I’ll cease and desist, but it’s sad that our rights are being infringed in every possible way imaginable. And our avenues to speak out against such violations are getting shut down at even faster rates.

Agreed! But it’s an IU sports message board, so pms for the other stuff.

Cause even if you and I stay civil, the ship our opposing civil points are sailing on will take on others’ water and still sink

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Wow, it never occurred to me that there wasn’t already such a role. Is the B1G late to the party on this?

16 minutes ago, Demo said:

Wow, it never occurred to me that there wasn’t already such a role. Is the B1G late to the party on this?

I think it was a collective effort, especially during the pandemic. IU’s Dr. Larry Rink served as a de facto CMO during that, as I understood it. 

****not a political post, just providing information*****

CDC updating guidelines on isolation.  Five days of isolation and if asymptomatic after five days, recommending isolation can end but recommends wearing mask for five days when around others.

Do not know the effect this will have on NCAA basketball, but both the NFL and NBA have now reduced their isolation period.  NFL is testing for viral load, don't know if/how the NCAA will guide.

11 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

****not a political post, just providing information*****

CDC updating guidelines on isolation.  Five days of isolation and if asymptomatic after five days, recommending isolation can end but recommends wearing mask for five days when around others.

Do not know the effect this will have on NCAA basketball, but both the NFL and NBA have now reduced their isolation period.  NFL is testing for viral load, don't know if/how the NCAA will guide.

I can tell you NBA and NFL have leadership and will and have adapted to the new guidance.

College, unless NCAA or conferences make uniform standards will continue to vary by what each team decides to do. Some like Calipari and UK will follow the CDC and only test symptomatic players, but others will come to their own conclusion and test everyone everyday or every few days.

9 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I can tell you NBA and NFL have leadership and will and have adapted to the new guidance.

College, unless NCAA or conferences make uniform standards will continue to vary by what each team decides to do. Some like Calipari and UK will follow the CDC and only test symptomatic players, but others will come to their own conclusion and test everyone everyday or every few days.

The NBA was ahead of schedule honestly. And good on Silver saying the part that many of us have already been saying. 

Big Ten has modified its forfeiture policy and will now endeavor to play games involving teams with positive COVID-19 cases rather than require forfeiture, provided that teams have a minimum threshold of scholarship players available.  Full details at the link.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/big-ten-announces-updated-forfeiture-policy-for-2021-22-basketball-season/?fbclid=IwAR2NRgTfCCQLTy6ClVx89AZviSVjGLXSbm795-RaHNu8FJd64vKa-uK1hPg

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

NHL looking to only test symptomatic players after all star break. Reports of many “asymptomatic positives”. I can 100% get behind this.

I do wonder why leagues haven't went to the viral load tests that the NFL started to emply.

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

NHL looking to only test symptomatic players after all star break. Reports of many “asymptomatic positives”. I can 100% get behind this.

This should be the norm for all of society. The UK just dropped pre-flight testing for inbound international passengers since just about everyone will test positive at this point and testing is doing zilch to stop the spread. Barring a much deadlier variant that vaccines are completely useless against, it’s time to start treating this like other cold-like diseases. 

IU announced Friday masks will be optional at all campuses in indoor areas beginning March 4, according to an IU Today article. 

Indoor spaces where masks will be optional include classrooms, residence halls, dining spaces, common areas in buildings and IU Athletic venues.

Masks will still be required in healthcare settings and research spaces, according to the article.

The decision is a result of state and county public health orders expected to expire on March 4 as well as declining COVID-19 cases at IU and in Indiana, according to the article.

IU will still distribute KN95 and N95 masks.