Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In Evansville - 

All indoor athletic events, including EVSC schools, Catholic Diocese (Memorial & Mater Dei), and Evansville Christian will be limited to 2 fans per student athlete for attendance. 0 fans for Swimming/Diving. Face masks must be worn by players & coaches on bench.

Also:

Scouting will not be allowed at games within City of Evansville. College recruiters however are allowed to attend.

Wrestling is expected to happen. Though all winter sports could be postponed if COVID-19 outbreak gets worse in Evansville.

The 2-fan per student athlete capacity falls hardest on Basketball. This will be the same at all levels. High School, Middle School and Elementary.

Cheerleaders will be allowed to attend games. No pending word yet on Pep Bands, as that is still being discussed.

My only regret is that soccer still occurred.  Three happiest moments of my life were my wedding day, the birth of my children, and the day my kids decided they didn’t want to play soccer any more.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

If there was a spread as a result of the game....yeah, they would look back and say maybe we should have cancelled it.  I can tell you there has been an issue with kids being symptomatic but not coming forward because they wanted to play or didn’t want to risk having their team shut down for a week. It’s not a simple issue.  Players are decentivized in the short run for coming forward with symptoms.  I know first hand of cases where high school football players in Indiana have been symptomatic and haven’t come forward.....in fact I know of athletes who were had some light symptoms and decided to get tested without telling their coach and continued to practice while they were awaiting their results.  It’s selfish of the parents and player to do so, but the mentality seems to be that they think the chances of catching it are slim and rather than come forward and perhaps miss time while getting cleared, they gambled on a negative result.

anyway, the bottom line I was trying to say to your original point was when your asking about testing players at the high school level — it’s not like college.  High schoolers aren’t tested as a group, regardless of being athletes or not.  This can lead to a larger chance of spread because it won’t be caught as early as it is among college football teams which have scheduled tests.

Are spreads occurring now because of games being played? I haven't heard anyone suggesting it. 

34 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Are spreads occurring now because of games being played? I haven't heard anyone suggesting it. 

I'm having trouble following.....if spreads aren't occurring and games have been cancelled because of positive cases among players, then isn't cancelling those games helping to prevent the spread?  I keep stats for our local team and we had one game cancelled due to our opponent having multiple positive cases and timing wise also put others in a high risk of also being positive.  Bottom line is that high school football isn't like college football where the abundance of testing allows for a much easier assessment of the situation.  

Don't want to get political at all, but it is worth mentioning that in Indiana we are at our highest seven day average of daily cases ever.  And it's not just increased testing -- we are also at our highest seven day positivity rate since late May.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Southwood is testing all of their players and will be back in the fold if they are all negative. 

Apparently common sense is still a thing. 

Common sense is...it’s more about $ in terms of testing everyone on the team. I have no problem with them playing after testing and am glad they can play.  I’m not sure how they paid for it but I’m guessing that there was community support for either the school taking on the expense or donations/booster money helping those who couldn’t afford testing.  Unfortunately if it happens to a team that isn’t very good or in a poor community, it probably ends their season.

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Southwood is testing all of their players and will be back in the fold if they are all negative. 

Apparently common sense is still a thing. 

BTW, do you know what the initial conditions were that had them choosing to cancel?  Who had tested positive?

i know at the school I work at if you are in close contact of a positive you only have to remain quarantined until you receive a negative test.  In my area the turnaround from being tested to receiving results right now is 24 to 48 hours and you can schedule tests immediately through drive up.  My son works for the school system as well and had minor symptoms Monday night, had to test to come back and got an appt right away and had results by Wednesday afternoon....back at work on Thursday.  It seemed strange to me that Southwood was making the decision to forfeit on a Monday when all the players would have to do to return to school could have been taken care of well before Friday.   

3 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

BTW, do you know what the initial conditions were that had them choosing to cancel?  Who had tested positive?

It was someone not on the team, and everyone on the team was considered a close contact. 

I get what you're saying about schools not having the resources to test all their players, and that makes perfect sense. I just think the "close contact" guideline is stupid. It's fear-mongering of the highest order. If kids aren't showing symptoms, let them play. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

It was someone not on the team, and everyone on the team was considered a close contact. 

I get what you're saying about schools not having the resources to test all their players, and that makes perfect sense. I just think the "close contact" guideline is stupid. It's fear-mongering of the highest order. If kids aren't showing symptoms, let them play. 

I will say that the number of close contacts involved is often dependent on seating.  For instance, in the classrooms where I teach, we are able to maintain six feet of distance and a positive test of a student in our room wouldn’t require another student to be out for bring a close contact.  In other schools I’ve seen students seated much closer together with no masks.  I have a picture of another school classroom of their ‘distanced’ seats if you want to see it (and they are maskless in their rooms) where I could see having many close contacts.

Most of the students we have out due to being close contacts are family members of positive testers or those awaiting tests.

Michael O'Brien is the high school sports editor for the Chicago Sun-Times and has been closely following Illinois Gov. Pritzker's pronouncements as they relate to high school winter sports.  Per the Governor's press conference earlier today, basketball, hockey and wrestling have been moved to "Higher Risk" and have been put on hold.  Looking very doubtful that these sports will be played.

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Michael O'Brien is the high school sports editor for the Chicago Sun-Times and has been closely following Illinois Gov. Pritzker's pronouncements as they relate to high school winter sports.  Per the Governor's press conference earlier today, basketball, hockey and wrestling have been moved to "Higher Risk" and have been put on hold.  Looking very doubtful that these sports will be played.

Ridiculous!

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It's a tough move, but ultimately the right call. 

After all, kids who are of high school age only have roughly a 99.998% chance of surviving once they show symptoms of the virus. 

About to get very interesting with high school basketball in Illinois.

From the Chicago Sun-Times:

According to several sources, the Illinois High School Association will announce Wednesday that the basketball season can start as scheduled. It’s a totally unexpected move that directly contradicts the guidelines Gov. J.B. Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Public Health outlined on Tuesday.

Pritzker and the IDPH put winter sports on an indefinite hold and moved basketball from a medium-risk sport to a higher-risk sport in the IDPH guidelines.

‘‘As with sports in the fall, nothing is ‘canceled,’ just put on hold until we’re through the thick of this pandemic,’’ Pritzker said in a statement.

According to the IHSA calendar, basketball practices are scheduled to start on Nov. 16 and the first games can be played on Nov. 30

The disagreement between the IHSA and the governor/IDPH likely means the final decision will come down to the individual school districts. Theoretically the school districts would open themselves up to tremendous liability by playing against the guidelines of the governor and the IDPH.

About to get very interesting with high school basketball in Illinois.
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
According to several sources, the Illinois High School Association will announce Wednesday that the basketball season can start as scheduled. It’s a totally unexpected move that directly contradicts the guidelines Gov. J.B. Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Public Health outlined on Tuesday.
Pritzker and the IDPH put winter sports on an indefinite hold and moved basketball from a medium-risk sport to a higher-risk sport in the IDPH guidelines.
‘‘As with sports in the fall, nothing is ‘canceled,’ just put on hold until we’re through the thick of this pandemic,’’ Pritzker said in a statement.
According to the IHSA calendar, basketball practices are scheduled to start on Nov. 16 and the first games can be played on Nov. 30
The disagreement between the IHSA and the governor/IDPH likely means the final decision will come down to the individual school districts. Theoretically the school districts would open themselves up to tremendous liability by playing against the guidelines of the governor and the IDPH.
Will the IHSA have the cojones to follow through? That is the question.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wisconsin-Nebraska game canceled due to rise in positive test on the Badger team

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

And won't be rescheduled. How is that going to work? Would it be fair to put a 7-0 Wisconsin team in B1G championship over a 7-1 team? Talk about a catch 22. People will be upset regardless of how that plays out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

And won't be rescheduled. How is that going to work? Would it be fair to put a 7-0 Wisconsin team in B1G championship over a 7-1 team? Talk about a catch 22. People will be upset regardless of how that plays out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

So in a roundabout way you are saying it wouldn’t be the worse thing if our OSU game was cancelled.