Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I thought you were talking about the 19 positive tests at Florida and I couldn’t find anything on them being false positives.

Hate to sound like the old dude but sometimes I swear autocorrect gets me, and other times I am positive I am just being a dumbass when typing on the phone.  This time?  I will go with dumbass.

On 10/14/2020 at 2:14 PM, brumdog45 said:

Saturday, after Florida lost at Texas A&M, Florida coach Dan Mullen said that he wanted Florida's president to allow a full capacity crowd (90,000) for next week's game so that the Gators could get a home field advantage like Texas A&M had (for the record, A&M held their attendance to quarter capacity).

Three days later, 21 Florida players and 2 assistant coaches have tested positive for covid and this week's LSU/Florida game is postponed.  

Also seems likely that the outbreak started prior to Florida traveling to A&M -- a couple of Florida players have come forward and said they had allergy-type symptoms prior to leaving for Texas but didn't report it to UF officials.

Now Dan Mullen has tested positive himself.

Indiana State's position on basketball --

Indiana State has announced new rules for attending Sycamore basketball games this season due Covid-19.  Seating capacity in the Hulman Center is limited to 25 percent.  Fans and staff members are required to wear face coverings when entering, leaving, moving throughout facility.

“All season ticket holders who have opted-in will receive tickets to games this year.  Seats will be relocated based on priority points and the health and wellbeing of all”.

10 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Indiana State's position on basketball --

Indiana State has announced new rules for attending Sycamore basketball games this season due Covid-19.  Seating capacity in the Hulman Center is limited to 25 percent.  Fans and staff members are required to wear face coverings when entering, leaving, moving throughout facility.

“All season ticket holders who have opted-in will receive tickets to games this year.  Seats will be relocated based on priority points and the health and wellbeing of all”.

I imagine it will be something similar in Bloomington.  Only now it will take two hours to get out of the parking lot.

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Wonder if this idea will catch on?

Jon Rothstein - 

Sources:  Conference USA is expected to soon officially announce a "health and safety" scheduling model for the 20-21 season. All league games will be Thursdays and Saturdays at the same location.

I'd be OK with this. Not having Big Ten road games would be a blessing, and Assembly Hall doesn't give us the edge it used to. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I'd be OK with this. Not having Big Ten road games would be a blessing, and Assembly Hall doesn't give us the edge it used to. 

actually seems like a decent logistical idea considering covid, but imo my favorite thing about college basketball is the home court advantages

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Wonder if this idea will catch on?

Jon Rothstein - 

Sources:  Conference USA is expected to soon officially announce a "health and safety" scheduling model for the 20-21 season. All league games will be Thursdays and Saturdays at the same location.

Doesn't that potentially risk shutting the whole conference down if one infected dude walks into that bubble?  

First bombshell of the IHSAA football tournament: undefeated Southwood, ranked #3 in Class 1A, has to forfeit their game this Friday. 

How does testing work for high school teams? My question is, why don't they test the day before the game and just isolate the players who test positive? 

Doesn't that potentially risk shutting the whole conference down if one infected dude walks into that bubble?  

This is my concern as well. How many locker rooms are available for use? Are they going to shut all games down if someone there tests positive? It sounds solid if everyone is going there and staying there. Otherwise, there are advantages to playing at many different sites.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

First bombshell of the IHSAA football tournament: undefeated Southwood, ranked #3 in Class 1A, has to forfeit their game this Friday. 

How does testing work for high school teams? My question is, why don't they test the day before the game and just isolate the players who test positive? 

High schoolers don't test unless they are symptomatic or have been in contact with someone that has tested positive or is symptomatic awaiting a test result.  There is no testing of a whole football team.  Big difference in the $ involved in high school and college sports.

Sorry to hear about Southwood.  Hate to hear a team to have to end like that, but with the state football tournament's schedule there really isn't any leeway.  The exception would be at 5A and 6A which get a week off between the end of the regular season and first round of the playoffs due to there only being 32 teams in each of those classes instead of 64.

11 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

High schoolers don't test unless they are symptomatic or have been in contact with someone that has tested positive or is symptomatic awaiting a test result.  There is no testing of a whole football team.  Big difference in the $ involved in high school and college sports.

Sorry to hear about Southwood.  Hate to hear a team to have to end like that, but with the state football tournament's schedule there really isn't any leeway.  The exception would be at 5A and 6A which get a week off between the end of the regular season and first round of the playoffs due to there only being 32 teams in each of those classes instead of 64.

I've not been anti-mask.

I've not mocked anyone for changing their habits. 

I've not been critical of limited attendance at games. 

But I really, really want someone to give me a good, reasonable explanation for why this makes any sense at all. 

Look at it this way. If the game was played this week, would anyone look back later and think "gee, maybe we should have cancelled it"? If the players aren't symptomatic, let them play. This isn't right. 

In Evansville - 

All indoor athletic events, including EVSC schools, Catholic Diocese (Memorial & Mater Dei), and Evansville Christian will be limited to 2 fans per student athlete for attendance. 0 fans for Swimming/Diving. Face masks must be worn by players & coaches on bench.

Also:

Scouting will not be allowed at games within City of Evansville. College recruiters however are allowed to attend.

Wrestling is expected to happen. Though all winter sports could be postponed if COVID-19 outbreak gets worse in Evansville.

The 2-fan per student athlete capacity falls hardest on Basketball. This will be the same at all levels. High School, Middle School and Elementary.

Cheerleaders will be allowed to attend games. No pending word yet on Pep Bands, as that is still being discussed.

10 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Look at it this way. If the game was played this week, would anyone look back later and think "gee, maybe we should have cancelled it"? If the players aren't symptomatic, let them play. This isn't right. 

If there was a spread as a result of the game....yeah, they would look back and say maybe we should have cancelled it.  I can tell you there has been an issue with kids being symptomatic but not coming forward because they wanted to play or didn’t want to risk having their team shut down for a week. It’s not a simple issue.  Players are decentivized in the short run for coming forward with symptoms.  I know first hand of cases where high school football players in Indiana have been symptomatic and haven’t come forward.....in fact I know of athletes who were had some light symptoms and decided to get tested without telling their coach and continued to practice while they were awaiting their results.  It’s selfish of the parents and player to do so, but the mentality seems to be that they think the chances of catching it are slim and rather than come forward and perhaps miss time while getting cleared, they gambled on a negative result.

anyway, the bottom line I was trying to say to your original point was when your asking about testing players at the high school level — it’s not like college.  High schoolers aren’t tested as a group, regardless of being athletes or not.  This can lead to a larger chance of spread because it won’t be caught as early as it is among college football teams which have scheduled tests.