Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

Could get a little pricey and dicey in the SEC.

Southeastern Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey is threatening schools with $100,000 fines and individuals with suspensions if coaches fail to keep masks on during games as the league tries to play through the coronavirus pandemic.

A memo from Sankey to conference coaches and athletic directors, dated Oct. 6, includes a section on “Masks and Sideline Hygiene.” The memo was obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday and first reported by ESPN.

The SEC’s return to practice and play protocols requires the wearing of face coverings on the sideline by all coaches and team personnel to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. A Sept. 30 memo after the opening weekend of the SEC season included a reminder to coaches to be mindful of masking up and following other sideline protocols.

According to the latest memo, going forward SEC schools will be “assessed a $100,000 reduction in Conference revenue” for failure to adhere to requirements. Repeat offenders will face an increase in lost revenue by $100,000 per offense and even suspensions, the memo said.

“In addition, individuals who fail to comply with or disregard the masking requirement could be subject to penalties, including but not limited to, suspension for a specified period,” Sankey wrote.

The NFL commissioner, Roger Goodell, earlier this week issued a similarly stern warning to follow protocols as the league grapples with positive cases.

Georgia coach Kirby Smart acknowledged this week he had been talked to by the commissioner and others about keeping his mask on.

“I just have to figure out a way to get it tighter and more comfortable on there,” he said. “The biggest thing is when you’re in the middle of coaching and talking to somebody, you have to get comfortable being able to leave it up and leave it on.”

ACC Commissioner John Swofford sent a memo Sept. 15 to its schools following the first weekend of games that included a section emphasizing face coverings on the sideline with no threat of penalties. Swofford wrote he had instructed football officials to not talk with coaches during a game if the coach was not “appropriately wearing their face covering.”

Big 12 spokesman Bob Burda said the conference has issued “reminders” directly to coaches and through athletic directors about adhering to mask requirements during games.

Sankey said coaches and ADs were “responsible for providing a copy of this memorandum to and discussing its contents with your assistant coaches, noncoaching staff and other team personnel.”

Due to contract tracing protocols from the CoVid-19 pandemic, the Purdue men’s basketball team will not begin practice on the first official day of allowed practice on Wednesday, Oct. 14 Purdue’s first official day of practice will now be Oct. 21.

Let's hope this kind of crap doesn't happen to us, but I'm afraid it's going to be a pins and needles season.

Saturday, after Florida lost at Texas A&M, Florida coach Dan Mullen said that he wanted Florida's president to allow a full capacity crowd (90,000) for next week's game so that the Gators could get a home field advantage like Texas A&M had (for the record, A&M held their attendance to quarter capacity).

Three days later, 21 Florida players and 2 assistant coaches have tested positive for covid and this week's LSU/Florida game is postponed.  

Also seems likely that the outbreak started prior to Florida traveling to A&M -- a couple of Florida players have come forward and said they had allergy-type symptoms prior to leaving for Texas but didn't report it to UF officials.

On 10/12/2020 at 12:48 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Due to contract tracing protocols from the CoVid-19 pandemic, the Purdue men’s basketball team will not begin practice on the first official day of allowed practice on Wednesday, Oct. 14 Purdue’s first official day of practice will now be Oct. 21.

Let's hope this kind of crap doesn't happen to us, but I'm afraid it's going to be a pins and needles season.

It likely will be.  There is good and bad with basketball:  fewer players means fewer you have to track for the virus, but bigger impact if someone does test positive or you have to quarantine multiple players.

Even if a team does everything extremely well and has luck on their side, there are likely going to be some postponements due to what happens with your opponents.  And unlike football where you may just have to shift one game, in basketball you might have to shift multiple games.

IU Athletics fund raising campaign to raise enough money to pay the nearly $20 million the athletic department must pay the university for scholarships.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Facing-major-financial-shortfalls-IU-athletics-reaches-out-with-enhanced-fundraising-campaign-COVID-19-152982217/?fbclid=IwAR2SYzmblXMYsXFS0OSK2pQnV0duJ8YBNa8ObPqiJrcD_ozEMofrWfQ5Anc

8 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

There is a school near me that went to distance learning for 2 weeks after 2 positive cases. If that's all it takes to shut down a school, then nobody's having classes or playing basketball this winter. 

I would say that's a pretty atypical response from what I have seen around schools in my area, including the one I teach at.  Certainly been schools with 2+ cases of covid that did not close.  At this time, none in the county I teach in nor the county I live in that were open for in person learning have had closed for any period of time due to covid -- certainly been segments quarantined, but no school closure.  

In terms of sports -- particularly football, most teams will not play a full nine game regular season due to their own school cancelling or an opponent.  A few have gotten them all in, but I'd say on average teams have played seven or eight games.  

The only school closure that has occurred was for a school that had a bat infestation, LOL.

26 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IU Athletics fund raising campaign to raise enough money to pay the nearly $20 million the athletic department must pay the university for scholarships.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Facing-major-financial-shortfalls-IU-athletics-reaches-out-with-enhanced-fundraising-campaign-COVID-19-152982217/?fbclid=IwAR2SYzmblXMYsXFS0OSK2pQnV0duJ8YBNa8ObPqiJrcD_ozEMofrWfQ5Anc

I've heard things are getting so bad at Kentucky, the basketball players have offered to take a pay cut.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A university asking for more money.

That's rich.

Saturday, after Florida lost at Texas A&M, Florida coach Dan Mullen said that he wanted Florida's president to allow a full capacity crowd (90,000) for next week's game so that the Gators could get a home field advantage like Texas A&M had (for the record, A&M held their attendance to quarter capacity).
Three days later, 21 Florida players and 2 assistant coaches have tested positive for covid and this week's LSU/Florida game is postponed.  
Also seems likely that the outbreak started prior to Florida traveling to A&M -- a couple of Florida players have come forward and said they had allergy-type symptoms prior to leaving for Texas but didn't report it to UF officials.

Mullen looked like such a moron trying to justify his “pack the stadium” response before the COVID results were announced.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I've heard things are getting so bad at Kentucky, the basketball players have offered to take a pay cut.

I don't think they've gone that far, but they have lowered the quality of steak at the Lexington Four Seasons from Kobe beef to filet mignon.

20 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

I don't think they've gone that far, but they have lowered the quality of steak at the Lexington Four Seasons from Kobe beef to filet mignon.

I heard the players are thinking of picketing over that.  Or more likely, having the kids who take their tests picket for them.

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

I have a bunch of Coronavirus related thoughts, but I'll bite my tongue.

On a sports related note... 

If the NFL is going to continue canceling games and trying to meander around this virus they need to restructure the season. 

I propose-  Blocks of three.  2 games and a bye week, then repeat.  That gives a restructuring window to every team.  It would be fair.  It would work without having to change their current policies.  Can I make 40 million to be commish?

All 4 false positives..... so do those tests stay tabulated? Dont get me started on the deaths/comorbidity/COD/False positive conundrum.

Like I’ve been saying for 6 months. Tests people, tests.

Purdue also had 2 problems with tests causing a 1 day delay for BB practice.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

All 4 false positives..... so do those tests stay tabulated? Dont get me started on the deaths/comorbidity/COD/False positive conundrum.

Like I’ve been saying for 6 months. Tests people, tests.

Purdue also had 2 problems with tests causing a 1 day delay for BB practice.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Yeah sounds like they had to do 19 retests.  All were negative.  At least it’s not like the NCAA where even if it’s a false positive you have to have 3 negative tests before you are cleared.  Why Nick Saban might not coach this weekend. Guessing that has a higher likelihood of getting corrected now.  

20 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Yeah sounds like they had to do 19 retests.  All were negative.  At least it’s not like the NCAA where even if it’s a false positive you have to have 3 negative tests before you are cleared.  Why Nick Saban might not coach this weekend. Guessing that has a higher likelihood of getting corrected now.  

What 19 retests are you referring to?