Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

Jon Rothstein - Minnesota is cutting indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, men's gymnastics, and men's tennis, per release.
https://www.flotrack.org/articles/6778849-under-attack-mens-tf-teams-are-told-not-to-fight-back

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oklahoma will be playing in front of 20k fans today while the Big Ten is not playing at all. Notre Dame is playing in front of 15k fans while IU and Purdue can’t play at all. Just a colossal failure all around. Thousands of high schools around the country have made it work, but a P5 conference can’t? Smh. I don’t really know how anyone can make excuses for the Big Ten at this point. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

You act as if they didn’t try.  The big ten basically just admitted that they couldn’t come up with plan.  And you refuse to admit they even tried.   Just because other leagues are playing doesn’t mean they are prepared and being responsible. 

One screw up can infect multiple people.  It doesn’t need to be a super spreader to take out a team.  And that doesn’t really cover:

the logistics of keeping kids on lockdown between testing and game day. 

Testing and keeping all the support personnel on lockdown.  They can just as easily infect the players post test   

How do you handle game cancellations?   Was Ohio State going to be ok with Losing a title because they played one less game than another team? 

There’s tons of stuff to work out  just because other organizations decided to proceed without a plan doesn’t mean that the Big Ten doesn’t want it enough or didn’t try.  I don’t even follow college football all that much and I know there have been a couple major cancellations seems like their “plans” were up to the challenge of a pandemic  

This time last year nobody would have batted an eye if you accused the big ten of only caring about money.  Now they are doing something without money as the motivator and people are up in arms about it. 

Their failure to prep a bubble for basketball is just a glaring display of incompetence. The NBA handed them a working blue print months ago.  

I guess I’m thinking that potential problems like game cancellations may happen, and that’s not a big problem as long as that doesn’t create a public health hazard.

12 hours ago, mdn82 said:

The only 3 things that will survive the apocalypse are twinkies, cockroaches, and Big Ten committees. 

btw, UVA/VT has been postponed for today, and the NHL have been in two bubbles(Toronto/Edmonton); they just don't shove it your face every second like the NBA does.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Oklahoma will be playing in front of 20k fans today while the Big Ten is not playing at all. Notre Dame is playing in front of 15k fans while IU and Purdue can’t play at all. Just a colossal failure all around. Thousands of high schools around the country have made it work, but a P5 conference can’t? Smh. I don’t really know how anyone can make excuses for the Big Ten at this point. 

Difference of opinion man.  That’s all.  I think everyone knows where I sit.  But in this environment?  Yeah you will never find a consensus.  Hell Kentucky can’t agree on if they are racist or not.  I highly doubt we are all going to agree on the best outcome of a public pandemic when it relates to fall sports.  

21 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

The only 3 things that will survive the apocalypse are twinkies, cockroaches, and Big Ten committees. 

btw, UVA/VT has been postponed for today, and the NHL have been in two bubbles(Toronto/Edmonton); they just don't shove it your face every second like the NBA does.

What is this NHL you speak of?

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Wait, because other leagues are proceeding they don’t have a plan? WTF

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not apparently a good one since there’s been yet another cancellation since I made that post.  Doesn’t exactly seem to be working. 

To me it’s much smarter to wait till the fall. Be the only major football and be more prepared to not have to cancel games at the last second. 

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Wow. Not only are we not on the same page, we aren’t in the same library.

NHL is doing just fine without a bubble. High School football with next to zero funding is doing great. MLB, after a few hiccups (which included positive tests, but no real damage) is surprisingly doing well.

The B1G was fear mongered by potential legal ramifications to shut things down based on completely falsified complications of Covid. They still haven’t answered to what made them make the decision besides that terrible myocarditis study.

You’ve got your mind made up and so do I, so I’m not sure why I even bother.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

NHL has a bubble. But don’t let facts get in the way

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Difference of opinion man.  That’s all.  I think everyone knows where I sit.  But in this environment?  Yeah you will never find a consensus.  Hell Kentucky can’t agree on if they are racist or not.  I highly doubt we are all going to agree on the best outcome of a public pandemic when it relates to fall sports.  

The player safety issues seem to be the driving reason for opponents of playing, and those just don’t hold up under scrutiny to me. We know that college students are very low-risk. It’s all the potential long-term effects. Yet, we know that football itself causes long-term effects. Players suffer long-term brain damage from football. We don’t let that keep them from playing, so why are potential long-term covid effects stopping them? Also, it’s not like players become safe if there isn’t a season. They know that they’re low risk. We see college students throughout the US partying every day. If anything, canceling the season increases the chances that they catch the virus. If you’re no longer at-risk of missing playing time if you test positive, you’re now more likely to go to that party or other social function. 

Plus, high schools have been playing for several weeks now across the country. I saw an article earlier this week that zero outbreaks have been traced back to football games. It seems to be working as well as you could expect during a pandemic in the places that have tried.

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not apparently a good one since there’s been yet another cancellation since I made that post.  Doesn’t exactly seem to be working. 

To me it’s much smarter to wait till the fall. Be the only major football and be more prepared to not have to cancel games at the last second. 

No one has said that the season would go perfectly without any hitches. There will be postponed games. The MLB has canceled some games. They could’ve easily thrown in the towel when the Marlins has an outbreak. Instead, they’re now a couple weeks away from the playoffs. Would you say “doesn’t exactly seem to be working” about the MLB?

The chances of a winter season are 0, imo. They’re not going to play two seasons that close to one another. If they don’t play with the other conferences this fall there isn’t going to be a Big Ten season until fall 2021. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

No one has said that the season would go perfectly without any hitches. There will be postponed games. The MLB has canceled some games. They could’ve easily thrown in the towel when the Marlins has an outbreak. Instead, they’re now a couple weeks away from the playoffs. Would you say “doesn’t exactly seem to be working” about the MLB?

The chances of a winter season are 0, imo. They’re not going to play two seasons that close to one another. If they don’t play with the other conferences this fall there isn’t going to be a Big Ten season until fall 2021. 

The NBA pulled it off.  But then again they had a clear and conscise plan.  They took great care to make the logistics work 

The other leagues haven’t.  If the Big Ten is able to weather this out and get huge ratings in the spring without any cancellations it’s going to look like a genius move.  

It’s too soon to be criticizing either decision. But the fact teams are already having to cancel game’s doesn’t bode well for their plan. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The player safety issues seem to be the driving reason for opponents of playing, and those just don’t hold up under scrutiny to me. We know that college students are very low-risk. It’s all the potential long-term effects. Yet, we know that football itself causes long-term effects. Players suffer long-term brain damage from football. We don’t let that keep them from playing, so why are potential long-term covid effects stopping them? Also, it’s not like players become safe if there isn’t a season. They know that they’re low risk. We see college students throughout the US partying every day. If anything, canceling the season increases the chances that they catch the virus. If you’re no longer at-risk of missing playing time if you test positive, you’re now more likely to go to that party or other social function. 

Plus, high schools have been playing for several weeks now across the country. I saw an article earlier this week that zero outbreaks have been traced back to football games. It seems to be working as well as you could expect during a pandemic in the places that have tried.

It’s Covid man.  The fact you are getting 90%+ of the people that agree there should be a season should say something.  But yeah, I didn’t argue against anything you said so I got nothing.

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

The highway system led to more auto accidents and deaths. Horrible plan.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Are you trying to say that a plan to keep football going but results in people dying over a game is anything but bad?   That’s pretty callous maybe evil. 

People dying is certainly a fact of life but being willing to knowingly trade human life for a football game wow. 

EDIT

And for the record the deadliest time for vehicle deaths was prior to the interstate system. 

Are you trying to say that a plan to keep football going but results in people dying over a game is anything but bad?   That’s pretty callous maybe evil. 

People dying is certainly a fact of life but being willing to knowingly trade human life for a football game wow. 

EDIT
And for the record the deadliest time for vehicle deaths was prior to the interstate system. 

KNOWINGLY is quite a high standard and a pretty big stretch. But whatever you say

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app