Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

There is an article on ESPN that will not be good on this board.  But one aspect I thought interesting out of the interview with Rutger’s chancellor is where some of the thinking in all of this is being derived from.  Here is a part of that article:

Big Ten presidents and chancellors voted Aug. 11 to postpone the fall sports season, including football, because of concerns around the coronavirus pandemic. Holloway was among the 11 presidents and chancellors who elected to postpone, and told NJ Advance Media that his position won't change until the COVID-19 situation improves, including in Big Ten states such as Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska.”

I won’t even pretend to know what those state’s numbers are, but that’s the first I heard of what is keeping this from happening.

Seriously. Are the kids getting sick and dropping out of the world? Nope! Im sure a few here will go off ...

It’s not happening! Get a grasp on reality! It’s politics! BS!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

Seriously. Are the kids getting sick and dropping out of the world? Nope! Im sure a few here will go off ...

It’s not happening! Get a grasp on reality! It’s politics! BS!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

The theory is that the pandemic will spread drastically if any portion of the population does not respect and observe preventative measures. So, if lots of young people get infected, lots of people will die; just maybe not many of those particular young people.

That being said—I agree that we should be playing football. Players can be tested the day before the game and stay together throughout game day.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The theory is that the pandemic will spread drastically if any portion of the population does not respect and observe preventative measures. So, if lots of young people get infected, lots of people will die; just maybe not many of those particular young people.

That being said—I agree that we should be playing football. Players can be tested the day before the game and stay together throughout game day.

Think it goes beyond the players. Tons of support personnel behind the scenes.  Plus kids partying because of the game. Not to mention what do you do when 10 players test positive the day before a game. 

Yeah, I’m largely with Wayne in this one. Set up the proper protocols and if a kid breaks them they are out of the equation for the season.

One or two screw ups per team isn’t going to create a pandemic spreader cell. That would be a far bigger issue.

There’s always going to be that small percentage that screws up. Account for that and keep standards in place to deal with them.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jon Rothstein - Minnesota is cutting indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, men's gymnastics, and men's tennis, per release.

I might be late to the game, but do colleges have separate indoor and outdoor track and field teams?

I'd think the indoor guys would man up and venture outside once in a while.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Yeah, I’m largely with Wayne in this one. Set up the proper protocols and if a kid breaks them they are out of the equation for the season.

One or two screw ups per team isn’t going to create a pandemic spreader cell. That would be a far bigger issue.

There’s always going to be that small percentage that screws up. Account for that and keep standards in place to deal with them.

I'd be infinitely more concerned about fans packing bars or tailgating than I would be about the players.

Luckily at IU, football fans can social distance tailgate.  Or attend games in person....without putting restriction on ticket sales.

The school I teach at has a former IU player (and NFL player) as our head coach and another former IU player and not-that-long-ago graduate as our receivers coach.  The word they are hearing is the Big Ten season most likely will have a January start.

If the season doesn’t start by November, then the season’s not happening at all. Zero chance they start after 2020, especially in January.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I suppose we can make excuses ad nauseam. Or we could develop a plan with players that WANT to play and staff that WANT to work and get to business like most of the rest of the world.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

You act as if they didn’t try.  The big ten basically just admitted that they couldn’t come up with plan.  And you refuse to admit they even tried.   Just because other leagues are playing doesn’t mean they are prepared and being responsible. 

8 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

One screw up can infect multiple people.  It doesn’t need to be a super spreader to take out a team.  And that doesn’t really cover:

the logistics of keeping kids on lockdown between testing and game day. 

Testing and keeping all the support personnel on lockdown.  They can just as easily infect the players post test   

How do you handle game cancellations?   Was Ohio State going to be ok with Losing a title because they played one less game than another team? 

There’s tons of stuff to work out  just because other organizations decided to proceed without a plan doesn’t mean that the Big Ten doesn’t want it enough or didn’t try.  I don’t even follow college football all that much and I know there have been a couple major cancellations seems like their “plans” were up to the challenge of a pandemic  

This time last year nobody would have batted an eye if you accused the big ten of only caring about money.  Now they are doing something without money as the motivator and people are up in arms about it. 

Their failure to prep a bubble for basketball is just a glaring display of incompetence. The NBA handed them a working blue print months ago.  

One screw up can infect multiple people.  It doesn’t need to be a super spreader to take out a team.  And that doesn’t really cover:
the logistics of keeping kids on lockdown between testing and game day. 
Testing and keeping all the support personnel on lockdown.  They can just as easily infect the players post test   
How do you handle game cancellations?   Was Ohio State going to be ok with Losing a title because they played one less game than another team? 

There’s tons of stuff to work out  just because other organizations decided to proceed without a plan doesn’t mean that the Big Ten doesn’t want it enough or didn’t try.  I don’t even follow college football all that much and I know there have been a couple major cancellations seems like their “plans” were up to the challenge of a pandemic  
This time last year nobody would have batted an eye if you accused the big ten of only caring about money.  Now they are doing something without money as the motivator and people are up in arms about it. 

Their failure to prep a bubble for basketball is just a glaring display of incompetence. The NBA handed them a working blue print months ago.  

Wow. Not only are we not on the same page, we aren’t in the same library.

NHL is doing just fine without a bubble. High School football with next to zero funding is doing great. MLB, after a few hiccups (which included positive tests, but no real damage) is surprisingly doing well.

The B1G was fear mongered by potential legal ramifications to shut things down based on completely falsified complications of Covid. They still haven’t answered to what made them make the decision besides that terrible myocarditis study.

You’ve got your mind made up and so do I, so I’m not sure why I even bother.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app