Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

13 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The virus has certainly been bad in its own right but we've had so many claims and counterclaims that it really is difficult to know who and what to believe.  Link below is to Michael J. Ackerman, the Mayo Clinic’s Genetic Cardiologist, who shoots down the “red flag” of the percentage of athletes with myocarditis.   Is his take the right one?  I have absolutely no idea.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Myocarditis-COVID-Mayo-Clinic-cardiologist-shoots-down-Penn-State-numbers-athletes-Big-Ten-football-season-canceled-151036977/?fbclid=IwAR2FJMOktDBSe4PdGwWMUwhWRIpUukhwZmI59EBZyFVz0d7kFCslqhVQkGY

Good read.  I don’t have any idea either but at least it does discuss a possible issue with the analysis.

5 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Myocarditis is just a possible potential issue related to a virus...this is nothing new. You can get myocarditis from having the common cold. We should just cancel life as we know it if this is what we’re worried about.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We still have 98% of the population that hasn’t tested positive yet! 

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

Myocarditis is just a possible potential issue related to a virus...this is nothing new. You can get myocarditis from having the common cold. We should just cancel life as we know it if this is what we’re worried about.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I was going to address your post, but we are starting to venture away from sports here.

To redirect the conversation, what is everybody's opinion of the most likely scenario of the Big Ten season?

IMO, a spring start is the least likely.  Two many players would be projected to opt out.  The late November start makes the most sense to me, but I don't know that it is more likely than a January start.

Not doubting this, but could you link to either the tweet this came from or an article quoting him?

Kyle Bonagura of ESPN, but it’s been copied by many since. It’s his official apology given to ESPN. Guy is a bozo and should lose his job for being so reckless with important accusations. The apology won’t be seen by many, and his artificial statistics and claims will continue on.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Pac 12 and Big 10 have discussed looking at synchronizing their restarts.  Nothing imminent as the four California and two Oregon schools do not have approval from public health authorities to begin again.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29804035/pac-12-partnership-allow-daily-covid-19-testing-athletes

All I can do is laugh at these programs. I never had respect for the Pac12 and their policies but I’ve lost a ton of respect for the B1G in the way they’ve handled this entire situation.

I guess next time they can look to High School sports to see how to make things happen.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

All I can do is laugh at these programs. I never had respect for the Pac12 and their policies but I’ve lost a ton of respect for the B1G in the way they’ve handled this entire situation.

I guess next time they can look to High School sports to see how to make things happen.

To be fair, when you look across the Big Ten states there are as many teams not playing as there are that are.  Illinois moved to the spring, Ohio shortened their season to six games, Michigan is just now starting practice, Wisky moved to the spring, Iowa and Nebraska are playing, Minnesota moved to the spring.  Indiana is mostly playing but there are quite a few holes in the schedule for local schools that suspended or cancelled their seasons.  

To be fair, when you look across the Big Ten states there are as many teams not playing as there are that are.  Illinois moved to the spring, Ohio shortened their season to six games, Michigan is just now starting practice, Wisky moved to the spring, Iowa and Nebraska are playing, Minnesota moved to the spring.  Indiana is mostly playing but there are quite a few holes in the schedule for local schools that suspended or cancelled their seasons.  

I’m talking Indiana. Illinois.... lol. Michigan just as bad. Indiana is doing fine and if it weren’t for the massive overreaction quarantines they’d be doing even better. If you can’t see the politics in your analysis above, I’m not sure what to tell ya.

I'm saying that the presidents of the Big Ten have more influence on decisions regarding the Big Ten than POTUS does.  Doesn't matter who the POTUS is.

Looked to me as a very poorly vailed shot at our President!