Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

They were dealing with illegal activities that happened to take in a sports setting. They weren’t investigating cheating they were investigating fraud which is a crime. 

Getting involved in the operational decisions is a lot different. 

All true but it’s government involved in sports.

Politicians shouldn’t be involved in sports by using their office to influence a position. I can see where Trump would want to be the savior of the Big Ten football season though.

This whole pandemic, sports, and political **** has gotten old. In another day and age, there seemed to have been some agreed upon areas that politics didn’t touch. Nowadays, it seems like anything and everything is politically motivated to include sports, people’s survival, and everything in between. It’s ******* disgusting!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Have to say their are fourteen other presidents that have more influence on that decision.

I don’t see Trump claiming to have more influence than the presidents of the universities. But if the president meets with the commissioner and says hey, tell us what you need in order to have a season and we’ll make it happen, you have to think that that would have an influence on the presidents.

13 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

All true but it’s government involved in sports.

Politicians shouldn’t be involved in sports by using their office to influence a position. I can see where Trump would want to be the savior of the Big Ten football season though.

This whole pandemic, sports, and political **** has gotten old. In another day and age, there seemed to have been some agreed upon areas that politics didn’t touch. Nowadays, it seems like anything and everything is politically motivated to include sports, people’s survival, and everything in between. It’s ******* disgusting!

I think people have just lost the ability to let other people live their lives. And now when people do something that another group disagrees with they just want the government to get involved and step in to stop it.  

I have no problem with the government investigating crimes in any setting. But they shouldn’t be involved in pressuring operation decisions or calling for boycotts 

1 minute ago, Magnanimous said:

This may be the final nail in the coffin if true.

okay, but why are the other conference still playing...? I assume they have the same information and their doctors know this as well. 

7 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

okay, but why are the other conference still playing...? I assume they have the same information and their doctors know this as well. 

Because the virus doesn't effect people in the south as hard. :120:

watched a clip of Get Up from this morning and Paul Finebaum essentially said that the rest of the power 5 conferences were blindsided when Kevin Warren announced back in July that the BIG was going conference only. 

Apparently all of the commissioners were on a zoom call and then later that day, without telling the other commissioners, the BIG announced it was going conference only. After that, the BIG 12, SEC, and ACC started doing their own planning without the BIG or the PAC 12. It wasn't until very late july/early august that those three announced their plans for the season all around the same time. 

So Kevin Warrant essentially went rogue and only has himself to blame for the PR nightmare. 

23 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

watched a clip of Get Up from this morning and Paul Finebaum essentially said that the rest of the power 5 conferences were blindsided when Kevin Warren announced back in July that the BIG was going conference only. 

Apparently all of the commissioners were on a zoom call and then later that day, without telling the other commissioners, the BIG announced it was going conference only. After that, the BIG 12, SEC, and ACC started doing their own planning without the BIG or the PAC 12. It wasn't until very late july/early august that those three announced their plans for the season all around the same time. 

So Kevin Warrant essentially went rogue and only has himself to blame for the PR nightmare. 

What’s funny is I was listening on the radio today with them talking about the ACC being mad at the SEC for the same reasons.  They were talking up they knew the B1G and PAC-12 would do something drastic then after they made their decision the SEC went rogue from the ACC.  That in turn makes it so some of the ACC biggest games won’t happen.  Florida being in the SEC won’t play their normal Miami and FSU games.  Finebaum is a SEC guy so I have no doubt the SEC feels that way.  But it sounds like every conference commissioner is mad at the next one for the same reasons.  

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

What’s funny is I was listening on the radio today with them talking about the ACC being mad at the SEC for the same reasons.  They were talking up they knew the B1G and PAC-12 would do something drastic then after they made their decision the SEC went rogue from the ACC.  That in turn makes it so some of the ACC biggest games won’t happen.  Florida being in the SEC won’t play their normal Miami and FSU games.  Finebaum is a SEC guy so I have no doubt the SEC feels that way.  But it sounds like every conference commissioner is mad at the next one.

probably true. I just have had the feeling the entire time that Kevin Warren has tried to be the smartest man in the room throughout this entire process to prove something.

If you remember he was the first commissioner of the power 5 to cancel the conference tournaments back in March and everyone followed suit. He was applauded for it and crowned a genius. Well I think it may have went to his head and he thought it would be the same this go around..

LSU getting hit hard with the caliber of players they've had opt out -- two likely first round picks.  They only return five of their twenty-two starters from last year.  Also dealing with covid issues.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29786905/lsu-coach-ed-orgeron-says-more-players-considering-opting-football-season

I don’t see Trump claiming to have more influence than the presidents of the universities. But if the president meets with the commissioner and says hey, tell us what you need in order to have a season and we’ll make it happen, you have to think that that would have an influence on the presidents.

Funny how folks automatically assume Trump is pressuring vs seeing if he can help. One possibility I found below.

Ohio State beat writer Austin Ward reports the parties discussed the availability of COVID-19 testing. The White House recently purchased 150 million saliva-based rapid tests from Abbott Laboratories for a national stockpile. Those could assist in providing adequate testing for the Big Ten. However, there is no indication that testing was among the Big Ten's primary concerns about staging a fall season.

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

probably true. I just have had the feeling the entire time that Kevin Warren has tried to be the smartest man in the room throughout this entire process to prove something.

If you remember he was the first commissioner of the power 5 to cancel the conference tournaments back in March and everyone followed suit. He was applauded for it and crowned a genius. Well I think it may have went to his head and he thought it would be the same this go around..

In the spring, the power five conferences basically cancelled within minutes of each other.  I think that was pretty much a joint decision and they were in communication of each other.  I think if the Big Ten cancelled first it was by a couple of minutes and others had already reached that decision and were making their press releases.

I guess I don't get why the hatred of the decision is pointed so heavily at Warrant and not at the University Presidents.  It's not like he overturned a consensus to play.  Quite the opposite.

11 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I wouldn’t doubt there is some level of that for sure.  The biggest problem is it shouldn’t be a decision at his level imo.  It should be at the top of the NCAA to set guidelines.  If the guidelines cant be met because of state laws or any other reason then you cancel.  The uniformity of party line politics in college sports isn’t my lane.  They can save that **** for someone else.  I understand where the B1G/PAC-12 or SEC/ACC/Big 12 are located.  I know why we are where are.  But this whole f’ing year doesn’t sit well with me.  I am not too worried about people’s perception of our commissioner either. I would shocked if you polled 100 people at a football game who it is if even 10 would know.  People’s perception of Kevin Warren doesn’t really change anything, now or in the future.  I will always be of the mind if we are on campus they should play however. 

14 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

In the spring, the power five conferences basically cancelled within minutes of each other.  I think that was pretty much a joint decision and they were in communication of each other.  I think if the Big Ten cancelled first it was by a couple of minutes and others had already reached that decision and were making their press releases.

I guess I don't get why the hatred of the decision is pointed so heavily at Warrant and not at the University Presidents.  It's not like he overturned a consensus to play.  Quite the opposite.

yes within minutes, but he was still the first and that was the narrative....

Would be interesting to have statistics for myocarditis in football players in particular prior to ever hearing about COVID-19.  Sad fact is, there are kids putting stuff in their bodies at a young age trying to get bigger, faster and stronger than the other kids and some of it is done with the encouragement of their family and coaches.  How much of that could play a role in the statistics being reported today?

19 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Would be interesting to have statistics for myocarditis in football players in particular prior to ever hearing about COVID-19.  Sad fact is, there are kids putting stuff in their bodies at a young age trying to get bigger, faster and stronger than the other kids and some of it is done with the encouragement of their family and coaches.  How much of that could play a role in the statistics being reported today?

Amen!  So many things cause myocarditis.  Assumptions this is COVID related entirely is a far far stretch.  

The virus has certainly been bad in its own right but we've had so many claims and counterclaims that it really is difficult to know who and what to believe.  Link below is to Michael J. Ackerman, the Mayo Clinic’s Genetic Cardiologist, who shoots down the “red flag” of the percentage of athletes with myocarditis.   Is his take the right one?  I have absolutely no idea.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Myocarditis-COVID-Mayo-Clinic-cardiologist-shoots-down-Penn-State-numbers-athletes-Big-Ten-football-season-canceled-151036977/?fbclid=IwAR2FJMOktDBSe4PdGwWMUwhWRIpUukhwZmI59EBZyFVz0d7kFCslqhVQkGY

40 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think it would also be informative to know the rates of myocarditis in football players with covid compared to those in other sports.  What was said was that it was 30 to 35% for all athletes.  It the numbers were similar regardless of sport, it might say something different than if it was higher in particular sports.

to mr it would be more indicative of a problem if we were seeing the same rates across sports as it would not be related to anything football specific.