Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

31 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Didn't know where to put this but I stopped by the big Big Red Liquors in downtown Bloomington to pick up some weekend drinks. As I'm looking at the beer selection, in walks in a basketball player. He picked up four 12 packs of white claw, a huge box of wine, and a 1.75 of tequila. Looks like he was ready for the weekend too. Also, there was a line around the block to get into Kilroy's sports bar at noon today. 

If your going out, may as well go out big.  

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Didn't know where to put this but I stopped by the big Big Red Liquors in downtown Bloomington to pick up some weekend drinks. As I'm looking at the beer selection, in walks in a basketball player. He picked up four 12 packs of white claw, a huge box of wine, and a 1.75 of tequila. Looks like he was ready for the weekend too. Also, there was a line around the block to get into Kilroy's sports bar at noon today. 

The athletes, just like most college students, are still going to do their fair amount of socializing. It's why I think canceling the season was so ridiculous. Those players aren't going to be holed up in their apartments by themselves, as evidenced by your post.

Unless said player has an enormous drinking problem and it's all for himself, lol. 

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I was going to pay for it, until the bill rang up to a little over $100. I'm not mad at him, I was doing the same thing at his age, heck who am I kidding I'm doing the same thing at 44 just with less people. 

Damn good thing you didn't pay for it.  We'd have probably gotten the NCAA death penalty while Will Wade, Bill Self, etc.,  go merrily on their way.

Just posting this because of how absurd it is: a football game between Cambridge City Lincoln and Union County this evening was cancelled because a staff member from Cambridge City Lincoln tested positive for Covid. Not a player on either team, a staff member from one of the schools. 

With the precedent that is being set, there is no chance any high school team finishes its season. Dekalb High School isn't playing for the next 3 weeks because of a positive test. Their week 1 opponent (Angola) is also sidelined for the next two since their players were in contact with the player. Some of this stuff is getting obscene. 

7 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Jeff Brohm just informed his players that the season is a go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Hopefully that does not mean that Purdue is playing all eleven games against Nebraska!

It might be beneficial for these conferences to I don’t know, maybe discuss where they are and why before we come to decisions.  I will always be of the mind if 40,000 kids can be on campus they can play.  

If this is the case, then isn't the opposite true? If schools like Notre Dame and UNC are going online with no in person learning, no sport should be played, right?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just posting this because of how absurd it is: a football game between Cambridge City Lincoln and Union County this evening was cancelled because a staff member from Cambridge City Lincoln tested positive for Covid. Not a player on either team, a staff member from one of the schools. 

With the precedent that is being set, there is no chance any high school team finishes its season. Dekalb High School isn't playing for the next 3 weeks because of a positive test. Their week 1 opponent (Angola) is also sidelined for the next two since their players were in contact with the player. Some of this stuff is getting obscene. 
Illinois moved the season to March 1st.

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I grew up in Union City, a team that plays in Cambridge City and Union County’s conference. I will say that cancelling a TEC game isn’t bad thing, LOL.  Brutal to watch.  :)

Anyway, from an article I read on it, it sounded like no students at school were quarantined, only football players as they said there precautions at school eliminated close contacts.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a case of the coach not following the school’s covid protocol at practice that made them not able to determine who or how many were at risk.

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

If he picked up four packs of white claw, I hope they rescind his scholarship.  

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

. Some of this stuff is getting obscene. 

In my neck of the woods, little Pioneer HS (enrollment 288) had to move up to 2A because of the success of its football program.  It's already had 3 opponents cancel games because of the virus but has been able to pick up 2 replacement games.  Tonight, they are going to take on 6A Chesterton HS (2,063 enrollment) and next week 4A New Haven so they at least get some game action but Pioneer vs Chesterton is definitely obscene.

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

If this is the case, then isn't the opposite true? If schools like Notre Dame and UNC are going online with no in person learning, no sport should be played, right?

Yes, in my opinion.  Unless they can create a viable bubble that limits travel.  The politics of this won’t allow for a uniform judgment.  But it is immensely hypocritical to bring everyone on campus and say sports aren’t safe enough.  Flip it to the other direction I would prefer not, but definitely not as strongly.  There would be situations where they could keep kids safer than the a normal every day kid.  Not every school, but IU could for sure.  But one thing is missing in all of this.  A laid out plan, so everyone has understanding of what is expected and the consequences of any actions or positives.  

19 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In my neck of the woods, little Pioneer HS (enrollment 288) had to move up to 2A because of the success of its football program.  It's already had 3 opponents cancel games because of the virus but has been able to pick up 2 replacement games.  Tonight, they are going to take on 6A Chesterton HS (2,063 enrollment) and next week 4A New Haven so they at least get some game action but Pioneer vs Chesterton is definitely obscene.

And they went on to beat Chesterton.  In week 1, Chesterton played Hobart (which entered week two as the #1 team in 4A before losing to 6A #6 Merrillville 23-7 in week two).  Chesterton led Hobart at halftime 7-3 and had an early fourth quarter drive down 10-7 that would have given them the lead end in a 98 yard pick 6 before falling 24-10.  Chesterton is a decent 6A team -- they went 6-4 last year and their quarterback -- a junior this season -- threw for over 2,400 yards last year.

A school the size of Pioneer beating Chesterton is unheard of, but Pioneer has put together an incredible run.

Dave Koch Sports is running a special season disk for their college football PC game this year that includes the projected ratings for each power five conference player and team for the 2020 season to allow a fictional season to be played.  I've pre-ordered it and it is going to be released in early September.  I can post Big Ten results like I did for basketball if there is interest.