Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

People don’t really root for the home team as much when there’s no LeBron or Jordan though.  

Would probably benefit college basketball though 

You would have that leagues version of Lebron or Jordan. Whoever is the next best. Someone in the league would be dominant and get the attention. Life would go on.

Similar but different to the college football guys making all the demands until their seasons got canceled. Now they are begging to play.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You would have that leagues version of Lebron or Jordan. Whoever is the next best. Someone in the league would be dominant and get the attention. Life would go on.

Similar but different to the college football guys making all the demands until their seasons got canceled. Now they are begging to play.

The skill gap after the elites is just not that wide.  Without our current crop of superstars you’d have a bunch of players without a significant gap in ability.  

There’s a wider gap between #1 and #25 than there is between #100 and #200

Would be great for the basketball purists.  But what saved baseball after the strike in the 90s. Good clean baseball or a bunch of guys on roids separating themselves from the pack. 

It’s so completely upside down with logic.

The NBA and NFL composition are the truest testimony of where our country stands.

If our “systemic racist” country was as bad as they want you to believe, the NFL and NBA wouldn’t be majority minority.

If anything, it’s proof that if you are the best at what you do, you will be employed and compensated.

I could rant forever, but I’ll save the logic for another day. And no one cares anymore, anyway, everyone just wants to be outraged.

Finally some common sense!

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2020/08/28/big-ten-college-football-season-could-start-thanksgiving-weekend/5654578002/

B1G is now considering starting the football season the week after Thanksgiving. B1G is starting to look like an absolute clown show. Word is that University presidents said they would have never considered to cancel season if they knew other conferences would still play and had to face all the backlash. Unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

20 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2020/08/28/big-ten-college-football-season-could-start-thanksgiving-weekend/5654578002/

B1G is now considering starting the football season the week after Thanksgiving. B1G is starting to look like an absolute clown show. Word is that University presidents said they would have never considered to cancel season if they knew other conferences would still play and had to face all the backlash. Unbelievable.

Lmao

27 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Oh good lord.

The Pac 12 has been a clown show for about a decade. The fact that the BIG was in agreement with them and not the other three power conferences is really worrisome.

Living in SEC country is unbearable anyway, but right now it is on a whole other level. 

This is a microcosm of this country as a whole right now. Groupthink is a way of dodging accountability. I want B1G football to be played, don't get me wrong, but I also want people to have a back bone.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Just kicking the can down the road and trying to save face. We won't see Big Ten football this year.

It might be beneficial for these conferences to I don’t know, maybe discuss where they are and why before we come to decisions.  I will always be of the mind if 40,000 kids can be on campus they can play.  It’s a chicken **** move to say otherwise.  There is not a sport that will put any kid at more harm than being back on campus if that’s the problem.  Student athletes are tested more regularly.  They have the ability to ensure smaller groups for larger sports.  I just don’t get how we got here, and that’s coming from someone that is perfectly fine with the stricter levels of care for student athletes.  

On 8/12/2020 at 8:16 PM, Magnanimous said:

Someone explain to me why this couldn’t work...

Every P5 school puts their football team in their own bubble on November 1st and begins their season the weekend of November 21. This is the beginning of Thanksgiving break, and students will be leaving campus until mid-January since schools are finishing their fall semesters online. 

The season goes through January 10th, which gives every program eight straight weekends where football players are the only students on campus. They have all been quarantined for three weeks at that starting point to let any early November  positive cases run their course. For Big Ten teams,  if the weather got really cold they could rotate the last few weeks on Thursdays between Indianapolis, Minneapolis and Detroit, which all have closed stadiums. 

An eight game regular season that ends on January 10th will not impact the fall 2021 season. Not sure about what kind of postseason you’d have, but if at that point you’re only talking four teams and no other bowl games, you could have a playoff bubble for a few weeks in January. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-considering-multiple-domed-stadiums-as-sites-for-potential-winter-college-football-season/amp/

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

The Pac 12 has been a clown show for about a decade. The fact that the BIG was in agreement with them and not the other three power conferences is really worrisome.

Living in SEC country is unbearable anyway, but right now it is on a whole other level. 

PAC 12 I think was also trying to delay the mounting player’s unionization that is coming in their conference.

Didn't know where to put this but I stopped by the big Big Red Liquors in downtown Bloomington to pick up some weekend drinks. As I'm looking at the beer selection, in walks in a basketball player. He picked up four 12 packs of white claw, a huge box of wine, and a 1.75 of tequila. Looks like he was ready for the weekend too. Also, there was a line around the block to get into Kilroy's sports bar at noon today. 

"League sources seem to be making accommodation for a potential earlier start in 2020 if there is what was termed an "overnight" change surrounding medical conditions, testing and contact tracing." 

This quote is from a CBS sports article about the BIG possible moving the season to thanksgiving.

UNBELIEVABLE! Had they not canceled the season the first week of August and just waited it out like the other conferences they wouldn't need make any freaking "accommodations" for changes in testing and contract tracing.

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Didn't know where to put this but I stopped by the big Big Red Liquors in downtown Bloomington to pick up some weekend drinks. As I'm looking at the beer selection, in walks in a basketball player. He picked up four 12 packs of white claw, a huge box of wine, and a 1.75 of tequila. Looks like he was ready for the weekend too. Also, there was a line around the block to get into Kilroy's sports bar at noon today. 

Kilroy's Sports is having a sale of items such as shirts, memorabilia,  bar items, etc. Not open to the public for "fun" quite yet. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Hey now—White Claw is a low-calorie, sugar free beverage! 
Good to see that the guys are staying hydrated.

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

It might be beneficial for these conferences to I don’t know, maybe discuss where they are and why before we come to decisions.  I will always be of the mind if 40,000 kids can be on campus they can play.  It’s a chicken **** move to say otherwise.  There is not a sport that will put any kid at more harm than being back on campus if that’s the problem.  Student athletes are tested more regularly.  They have the ability to ensure smaller groups for larger sports.  I just don’t get how we got here, and that’s coming from someone that is perfectly fine with the stricter levels of care for student athletes.  

So very much agree!

We have a team of football players, on campus and partying with their friends, who have all been in constant CTE danger since they started pee wee ball at age ten, and the conference is worried about them not being able to social distance on a football field.

Silliness.