Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

7 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Can anyone explain why the NBA is social distancing and wearing masks? They are in the safest environment in America and probably the world. COVID isn't just popping up like a ninja. 

Because they knew it would annoy you. 

That piece of underwear you wear on your face ain't doing sh1t to keep others or yourself from getting infected. But if it's what it takes to avoid another round of shutdowns then so be it. 

If you’re using what I wear for a mask as underwear I understand why you’re grumpy. Adidas has a sale on some great boxer briefs I highly recommend. You might find they help with your mood too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

If those interviews are less than 15 min. they wouldn't even fall under the CDC definition of "close contact" for contact tracing.  

That doesn’t exempt them from contracting it.  There is literally no difference in the chance from getting it from 14 minutes or 16 minutes.   It’s a guideline.

i don’t want this thread to get political.  I’m just not sure why anyone woulc be bothered about them doing it even if it’s just optics.

10 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

You're not getting COVID from food. 

I guess you’ve never eaten at white castle’s.  Covid is the least of your worries.  At thus point, I just buy white castle’s and half an hour later I through it in the toilet.  Cut out the middle man.

22 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

You're not getting COVID from food. 

No but the workers that bring that food in can potentially infect someone unknowingly.  It is not a zero possibility Chuck.  But I find it hilarious of all things going on in the world that is what bothers you.  

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Well no wonder you don't think masks are effective!

Is this you?   ;)

Unusual Masks People Are Using To Protect Themselves From COVID-19 ...

I think crotchless would be the preferred option for some.  Doesn’t restrict that breathing.  

3 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

That piece of underwear you wear on your face ain't doing sh1t to keep others or yourself from getting infected. But if it's what it takes to avoid another round of shutdowns then so be it. 

As they say in Palm Beach County, Florida... "I don't wear a mask for the same reason I don't wear underwear. Things gotta breathe."

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

If you’re using what I wear for a mask as underwear I understand why you’re grumpy. Adidas has a sale on some great boxer briefs I highly recommend. You might find they help with your mood too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I have to wear a mask 5 days a week while cooking at work. 

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

No but the workers that bring that food in can potentially infect someone unknowingly.  It is not a zero possibility Chuck.  But I find it hilarious of all things going on in the world that is what bothers you.  

You think the NBA and Disney arent on top of that? They likely know everyone working and dropping off food etc. Like most successful places do. 

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

You think the NBA and Disney arent on top of that? They likely know everyone working and dropping off food etc. Like most successful places do. 

Yes, because when you know who is coming or going that keeps them from contracting Covid when they are outside of the bubble.  My bad I forgot that is how successful businesses are operating these days...

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Yes, because when you know who is coming or going that keeps them from contracting Covid when they are outside of the bubble.  My bad I forgot that is how successful businesses are operating these days...

So you believe the business delivering to the bubble just doesn't care to check their employees? Make them wear mask? Wash their hands? Sanitize? Think Disney resort employees are sanitizing and washing everything? There ZERO risk of catching COVID in the NBA bubble. ZERO. 

13 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So you believe the business delivering to the bubble just doesn't care to check their employees? Make them wear mask? Wash their hands? Sanitize? Think Disney resort employees are sanitizing and washing everything? There ZERO risk of catching COVID in the NBA bubble. ZERO. 

Not how reality works 

44 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

People wearing masks bothers you this much? Get a grip, dude. 

Iowa to cut four sports following 2020 academic year

The effects of no Big Ten football has started to take its toll on the University of Iowa. On Friday morning, the University announced that it will be cutting men's and women's swimming and diving, men's gymnastics and men's tennis. 

"We are committed to support and care for the impacted student-athletes, coaches and staff throughout the transition period," Iowa athletic director Gary Barta said in an open letter. "All existing scholarships will be honored through graduation for those student-athletes who choose to remain at Iowa.  If a student-athlete wishes to transfer to another institution, we will assist them in every way possible.  In addition, we will continue to provide academic and mental health support as requested.  The contracts of affected coaches will be honored."

"We are heartbroken for our student-athletes, coaches and staff.  We also understand how disappointing this is for our letterwinners, alumni, donors and community members who have helped build these programs."

Barta announced that the respected teams will have the opportunity to compete this spring if there is a season and if they choose to. Iowa becomes first Big Ten school amid COVID-19 pandemic to cut sports programs with Friday's announcement.

Below is the full press release courtesy of the University of Iowa. 

IOWA CITY, Iowa - - The University of Iowa announced Friday its plan to discontinue four intercollegiate athletics sports programs at the conclusion of the 2020-21 academic year: men’s gymnastics, men’s and women’s swimming and diving, and men’s tennis. The announcement was made by President Bruce Harreld and Gary Barta, Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair. 

In an open letter, Harreld and Barta make the following statement:

The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in a financial exigency which threatens our continued ability to adequately support 24 intercollegiate athletics programs at the desired championship level. With the Big Ten Conference’s postponement of fall competition on August 11, UI Athletics now projects lost revenue of approximately $100M and an overall deficit between $60-75M this fiscal year. A loss of this magnitude will take years to overcome. We have a plan to recover, but the journey will be challenging.

The four sport programs will have the opportunity to compete in their upcoming 2020-21 seasons, should the circumstances surrounding COVID-19 permit, before they are discontinued. All existing scholarships will be honored through graduation for those student-athletes who choose to remain at Iowa. The contracts of affected coaches will be honored.

Factors considered in this action, in part, include sponsorship at the NCAA Division I level, impact on gender equity and Title IX compliance, expense savings, history of the sport at Iowa, and engagement level."

Nicole Auerbach @NicoleAuerbach

Per a source:  The NCAA Board of Directors approved the blanket waiver saying that fall sport athletes can keep their year of eligibility no matter if they play this fall or spring or don't play at all.