Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

On 8/13/2020 at 9:55 AM, mdn82 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29653050/nebraska-ends-talk-playing-big-ten

Well so much for puffing their chests out.  Can’t wait to see something similar for Kansas when it comes to their lawsuit threats against the NCAA.  

IMO, this was Scott Frost puffing his chest out as Nebraska football fans were not happy after with his underwhelming performance in his first two seasons there (9-15).  Expectations were high starting last year.......hard to fathom after the season they had, but they were voted in the media poll as the favorite to win the Big Ten West and started the year ranked number 24.  They were even 4-2 after six games and had a very manageable schedule left (Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Maryland, and Iowa) but only won one game.

4 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

IMO, this was Scott Frost puffing his chest out as Nebraska football fans were not happy after with his underwhelming performance in his first two seasons there (9-15).  Expectations were high starting last year.......hard to fathom after the season they had, but they were voted in the media poll as the favorite to win the Big Ten West and started the year ranked number 24.  They were even 4-2 after six games and had a very manageable schedule left (Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Maryland, and Iowa) but only won one game.

I wish we could play Nebraska every year. It’s fun to compete (and beat) brand name programs that aren’t special anymore. We should’ve had two of those wins last year had it not been for that onside kick against Tennessee...Maybe one day we’ll get one against Michigan. They’re not quite at Nebraska’s or Tennessee’s level, but they’re a definite step behind what I would consider the current tier 1 programs (Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma, etc.) and really still trailing the majority of what one would consider tier 2 programs of relevance (Penn St., USC, Notre Dame, Auburn and the like. 

Nebraska on the other hand is with the Iowa’s and Michigan States of the world. They’re still a CFB blue blood and have a great tradition, but everything that made them what they were in the 70s-90s is gone and it isn’t coming back. “Hey, you could say the same about IU basketball!” No, because we have an abundance of talent in our backyard and the only thing that’s prevented us from being a contender again has been bad coaching hires.  Nebraska has no recruiting footprint anymore in the state and they’re not pulling in the troubled yet talented players from the coasts,  their power football model is gone as the game has changed, and their once renowned walk-on program can no longer operate as it once did. The landscape of CFB has changed and they are stuck in the far corner of the non-PAC12 portion of the P5 map. 

Parents from other Big Ten programs are raising hell about no football. With southern schools already seeing cases spike with students back on campus already, I’d say it’s more likely that the rest of country shuts it down than we start up again, but an interesting development. I’d imagine that IUFB would go along for the ride with how this shakes and let the big boys do the heavy lifting.

Parents from other Big Ten programs are raising hell about no football. With southern schools already seeing cases spike with students back on campus already, I’d say it’s more likely that the rest of country shuts it down than we start up again, but an interesting development. I’d imagine that IUFB would go along for the ride with how this shakes and let the big boys do the heavy lifting.

A friend has a son playing at OSU. Here is a letter their parents sent out.

IMG_1725.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

50 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Kevin Warren cancels football for the B1G, yet his son will be playing in the SEC at Mississippi State this fall. If he doesn’t force his son to sit out, then this clown will/should be catching even more crap.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Is his son not an adult?  I think this is the wrong decision, but I don’t see how he forces his son to do anything.  Let alone will I judge him for that.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

Is his son not an adult?  I think this is the wrong decision, but I don’t see how he forces his son to do anything.  Let alone will I judge him for that.

Sure his son is an adult and can make his own decisions, but the optics would be terrible if his son plays college football this season after he shutdown football for the Big 10 because it wasn't 'safe.' Hundreds of young men don't get to play this fall because of Kevin Warren, but Kevin Warren's own son gets to play? It would be a really bad look. 

Regardless of your opinion of the Big’s cancellation, there does exist the possibility that there are tons of issues with those teams that do play/try to play this fall and the Big is able to learn from the kinks in the armor of what they did and is better able to make it a go in the spring.  Doesn’t mean there won’t be issues in the spring or with them playing in the spring and then following fall, but this isn’t a full black and white decision.

Are the B1G student athletes not adults too??? Why is he forcing them to sit. It’s ok for his son to play because his son is an adult but he can force other adults to sit who WANT TO PLAY along with their adult parents who WANT THEM TO PLAY. These kids are much safer in a more controlled environment than if they don’t play. The argument that this is for health reasons and player safety is an absolute joke. If it’s about money and liability, then come out and say it and stop dodging questions. Really bad look for the new Commish.

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

Are the B1G student athletes not adults too??? Why is he forcing them to sit. It’s ok for his son to play because his son is an adult but he can force other adults to sit who WANT TO PLAY along with their adult parents who WANT THEM TO PLAY. These kids are much safer in a more controlled environment than if they don’t play. The argument that this is for health reasons and player safety is an absolute joke. If it’s about money and liability, then come out and say it and stop dodging questions. Really bad look for the new Commish.

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

Yep. No new information came out between the Bi1G’s schedule release and the fall cancellation about health and safety. The unionizing of the Big Ten and Pac12 players was the final nail in the coffin. I’m not entirely disagreeing with delaying/cancelling the season, but do it for the right reasons and not to protect the financial gravy train for the administrations in the name of health and preserving amateurism. I still think they should have a season and start it Nov. 21 when the students leave campus for Thanksgiving. 

Honest question that I don't know the answer to but should.  Is this decision solely on Warren's shoulders or is it a result of a vote of the university Presidents that indicated there weren't enough Presidents willing to allow sports to proceed at their institution?  As I recall, we've not seen any actual voting numbers in this regard.

31 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Honest question that I don't know the answer to but should.  Is this decision solely on Warren's shoulders or is it a result of a vote of the university Presidents that indicated there weren't enough Presidents willing to allow sports to proceed at their institution?  As I recall, we've not seen any actual voting numbers in this regard.

I thought it was a 12-2 university vote.

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Vote was up to the presidents. No numbers were released, but the 12-2 vote was an unofficial vote of medical staffs from my understanding, not presidents. Warren gets the heat because he’s the spokesman and has done a horrendous job at that, but he didn’t necessarily make the decision on the season. 

Short answer: everyone blew it here as far as PR goes, but it was a Big Ten presidential decision that Warren has to answer to.

Jury is out if the decision was correct or not. I’m guessing that will be known by October. 

It's just bad optics all around.

A week after the B1G releases their conference-only schedule for the fall, the season gets cancelled.  Say what you want, but that is the result of poor leadership.

I have little to no hope this season will be played in the spring.  It will look even worse on the conference if the Big 12, ACC, and SEC play in the fall.  

It will be hard enough for schools like Ohio State to recruit the south after all this if the SEC plays and B1G doesn't, so I can't imagine how hard it will be for schools like IU.

3 hours ago, jbell833 said:

I don’t disagree with this angle.  Would love to hear why the medical personnel voted this way.  But telling your 18-22 to do something is what I responded to.  I don’t know how much luck you have had with it, but it just doesn’t happen for me.

So if 12 schools were opposed to playing Warren really had no choice correct?  Therefore the stones should be thrown at the Presidents but instead we always shoot the messenger.

He is the one who navigated the decision though. He didn’t need to go to a vote with the university presidents but he chose to. At the end of the day, he has the power and could’ve been his call solely. You are correct, he is taking the heat, but he should. Never should’ve gotten the presidents involved...he knew how that was already gonna go. Either way both his and the presidents’ decision lacks a clear understanding...the presidents are ok with bringing back 40-50k kids back onto campus who will be undoubtedly be congregating nonetheless with limited testing (unlike the athletics programs) but this is about health and safety....ok.