Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

Someone explain to me why this couldn’t work...

Every P5 school puts their football team in their own bubble on November 1st and begins their season the weekend of November 21. This is the beginning of Thanksgiving break, and students will be leaving campus until mid-January since schools are finishing their fall semesters online. 

The season goes through January 10th, which gives every program eight straight weekends where football players are the only students on campus. They have all been quarantined for three weeks at that starting point to let any early November  positive cases run their course. For Big Ten teams,  if the weather got really cold they could rotate the last few weeks on Thursdays between Indianapolis, Minneapolis and Detroit, which all have closed stadiums. 

An eight game regular season that ends on January 10th will not impact the fall 2021 season. Not sure about what kind of postseason you’d have, but if at that point you’re only talking four teams and no other bowl games, you could have a playoff bubble for a few weeks in January. 

8 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Every P5 school puts their football team in their own bubble on November 1st and begins their season the weekend of November 21. This is the beginning of Thanksgiving break, and students will be leaving campus until mid-January since schools are finishing their fall semesters online. 

The season goes through January 10th, which gives every program eight straight weekends where football players are the only students on campus. They have all been quarantined for three weeks at that starting point to let any early November  positive cases run their course. For Big Ten teams,  if the weather got really cold they could rotate the last few weeks on Thursdays between Indianapolis, Minneapolis and Detroit, which all have closed stadiums. 

An eight game regular season that ends on January 10th will not impact the fall 2021 season. Not sure about what kind of postseason you’d have, but if at that point you’re only talking four teams and no other bowl games, you could have a playoff bubble for a few weeks in January. 

The whole point of a bubble is for there to be one. As soon as you start traveling it falls apart. Do the pilots and flight attendants they use to in the bubble. A team is 120 large. Probably 200 after staff.   

1 hour ago, Magnanimous said:

One comment is that for practicality's sake, stop the ridiculous number of players on the roster for it.  I posted this earlier, but IU has 122 players on their roster currently.  In a bubble situation, that's ludicrous.  Limit the roster in the bubble to at most 60.  If injuries force it, test the player coming in and quarantine until it is clear they do not.

One thing though that you have to consider is that while we've heard college football players want to play, that doesn't mean that they would want to play under the conditions of a bubble.  We know that there were definitely opt outs at the professional level and they were getting paid handsomely.  I mean I certainly want college football, but a bubble at the college level I think is a different than at the pro level because of salary.  Right now tons of college players are saying that they want to play.....but if posed with the reality of basically being confined to hotel, practice, and online classes, I'm not sure that you'd see quite the enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

The whole point of a bubble is for there to be one. As soon as you start traveling it falls apart. Do the pilots and flight attendants they use to in the bubble. A team is 120 large. Probably 200 after staff.   

In terms of the number of players, it does.not.have. to be that way, as I've been mentioning.  There are 85 scholarship players and usually 20 or so of those players are redshirting. 

So while it hurts us I would likely hurt the rest of the BT worse than us. The hit for OSU and Michigan would almost be twice what it is for us.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, 8bucks said:

So while it hurts us I would likely hurt the rest of the BT worse than us. The hit for OSU and Michigan would almost be twice what it is for us.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Those programs are over leveraged and their business models are based on cramming fans together in like sardines with knees in each other’s backs. Modest old IU is better suited to plan around 15,000 fans in the stands. Much easier to absorb that hit than going from 110,000 fans to zero.