Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

1 minute ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I'm going to ask this again, would people be this upset if all Fall Sports but football was canceled? It shouldn't matter if it is a "cash cow". If one goes they all go.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Of course not. Football is the fall sport that people care about. It’s the sport that fills 80k stadiums across the country. 

I'm going to ask this again, would people be this upset if all Fall Sports but football was canceled? It shouldn't matter if it is a "cash cow". If one goes they all go.
They canceled the other cash cow in March and it looks like they will with at least the non conference portion of the season. I don't/didn't like it then or now.

You keep asking a question that you know the answer to..? Not sure what you’re fishing for.

Should we as a culture feel bad that we care for football more than field hockey? One has a significant cultural impact while the other does not.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

You keep asking a question that you know the answer to..? Not sure what you’re fishing for.

Should we as a culture feel bad that we care for football more than field hockey? One has a significant cultural impact while the other does not.

He loves poking at football for whatever reason, which is annoying in itself, but he’s missing the part where the cash cow props up entire athletic departments and towns (!!!) all across the country. He’s ok with CTEBall being canceled even though billions of dollars in local economies will be lost, people will lose their jobs and businesses, and college sports in general will suffer for years. 

Football isn’t just any other sport whether he likes watching it or not. It’s an absolutely ridiculous and ignorant take. 

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Just saw an interesting hypothetical.

What if the XFL were to go after juniors and seniors and create an XFL bubble of teams and allow unprecedented access to NFL scouts.   In effect, an NBA G-league concept for football.

They should totally do that 

My point is all these other athletes put just as much time into their sport as the big 2 College Sports. Their seasons are gone also. No one is talking about how they feel. It's just ho hum to some of you. If people were honest, they would acknowledge they are upset not because it will hurt economies or pay for other sports, but because they love College Football.
I used to watch Football and will watch it once in awhile if I'm at someone's house. I'm ok with it, I just think it vastly overrated. I used to work with a guy who played for the Illini, was Captain his Senior year and drafted, but did not play in the NFlL back in the early 60s and loves football. Before he retired, he told me about 10 yrs he told me it was hard for him to watch. Yes, I call it CTEball because many players have been found to have after playing. People can function with hurt limbs, they can't with a hurt brain.

Watched the majority of Kevin Warren’s press conference with BTN. Gotta say I was really disappointed. He dodged all of the questions and used boilerplate language “it’s about the players safety and always has been” over and over.

Certainly disagree with the decision, but his answers have me even more disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Agreed, it was a tough decision, and in my opinion, the wrong decision. Obviously the schools have a lot to think about, but the slightest bit of transparency would’ve gone a long way. If they came out and told us we can’t play fall sports because we don’t have the money, we don’t want the liability, etc I’d be much happier. Instead the leaders seem to be offering vague excuses backed by faulty logic that I can’t even begin to understand

Agreed, it was a tough decision, and in my opinion, the wrong decision. Obviously the schools have a lot to think about, but the slightest bit of transparency would’ve gone a long way. If they came out and told us we can’t play fall sports because we don’t have the money, we don’t want the liability, etc I’d be much happier. Instead the leaders seem to be offering vague excuses backed by faulty logic that I can’t even begin to understand

He has gotten a lot of credit for his tough decision making in the spring, but he really failed here. He should have been more prepared for those questions and at least respected the coaches, players, fans enough to be truthful and transparent.

He’s really getting beat up by the media right now.

I guess it is not surprising. States aren’t fully open. NC is still in stage 2. The NBA bubble seems to work but you can’t really do that with large football rosters. Caution seems to be the preferred approach and liability is a huge factor for these schools.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

So I am basically certain basketball will not happen this year. I know I am jumping the gun but pretty certain its over. Its all very sad really but what else is new

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

So I am basically certain basketball will not happen this year. I know I am jumping the gun but pretty certain its over. Its all very sad really but what else is new

It could have been all prevented.  Ego, and stubbornness from the people who embraced an identity rather than embrace change cost all of us something we all love.  Let’s hope it’s not too late.  

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

Without a bubble basketball is 100% gone 

7 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Of course not. Football is the fall sport that people care about. It’s the sport that fills 80k stadiums across the country. 

It is, but even if the Big Ten had given the green light, the stadiums would have been empty this year.

9 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Probably being too simplistic here, but I always hated Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland in the Big Ten. I think now is the perfect opportunity to give Nebraska the boot. It is, and always has been, a much, much better fit in the Big 8/Big 12. 

If Nebraska were to be gone from the Big Ten tomorrow, nothing would be missed.  No Big Ten titles and only one division title -- in the weak division -- since they have been here.  13-23 in the last three years.  And more than anything, they are simply a boring team to watch.  And this is the sport where they were supposed to be good....their other programs are second tier.

In terms of them wanting to go back to the Big 12, until things change financially in that league which sees Texas get special treatment from their own television network, it's simply not that enticing.  I don't think you'll see Nebraska play football this fall.

Kevin Warren is an idiot.

He's just kicking the can at this point.  His incompetence is going to cause the conference he oversees to be even less relevant on a national scale as recruits spurn B1G schools in favor of those who will play.

My biggest frustration amidst all of this is that I don't see how you can pretend to care about the physical health of athletes amidst a pandemic, but continue to rake in millions if not billions by turning a blind eye to CTE.

3 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

Kevin Warren is an idiot.

He's just kicking the can at this point.  His incompetence is going to cause the conference he oversees to be even less relevant on a national scale as recruits spurn B1G schools in favor of those who will play.

My biggest frustration amidst all of this is that I don't see how you can pretend to care about the physical health of athletes amidst a pandemic, but continue to rake in millions if not billions by turning a blind eye to CTE.

Warren isn’t making his ‘decision’ in a vacuum.  If a commissioner told the conference they were going to play despite 83% of those schools voting against doing so, he would be a dictator instead of a commissioner.