Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

The most dangerous thing about bars right now is COVID.
The most dangerous thing about concerts is COVID.
The most dangerous thing about street fairs is COVID.
The most dangerous thing, by far, about football right now? Is ... football.
Play this sport.

You could argue...

Bars....alcohol and guns/knives/driving home
Concerts....same as bars
Fairs.....definitely it’s the carnies.

Agree with Football

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

It’s all about appearances if some random kid in biology 101 gets Covid it’s just another number on the tracking site. If a star quarterback gets it then it’s national news. 

Colleges don’t really care if the kids get it, they care if they get noticed having kids get it. 

Division 1 football teams are allowed to have 85 players on scholarship.  Throw in players on the team not on scholarship and you are looking at 100 players or more.  A roster check on IU shows that there are currently 122 players on the 2020 roster.

Why haven't schools looked at this issue giving the current situation?  NFL teams have a 46 man game day roster with 7 on the practice squad.  Sure, there are some moves made during the season, but a typical NFL team will go throw no more than 60 plans in a season.

Why not pare the roster down for players that actively practice and play with the team?  Certainly would cut down the number of close contacts and would limit the chance that a spread from players who have less to risk -- end of the bench guys who might not ever see the field -- from being in daily contact with those who are going to play.

IMO, I think that the number of scholarships that are given out per team is counterproductive to the sport in the first place.  If schools were limited to 60 instead of 85 scholarships, you'd see teams at the mid and low major level better able to compete with the power 5.  Also would probably have prevented some of the other non-revenue sports from being cut in order to be in line with Title IX legislation.

We have literally watched restricted athletes already spread the disease. You can insult me and tell me to use my brains. But what you are claiming is ridiculous has already happened.  Your refusal to admit it doesn’t change that 

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

4th and inches at the 45 yard line.  Do the B1G presidents go for it or do they punt?

Per ESPN's Heather Dinich, Big Ten presidents will meet this morning at 10:30 EST to discuss the football season.  The two most likely reported options are postponing season till Sept. 26 or postponing till spring.

11 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s all about appearances if some random kid in biology 101 gets Covid it’s just another number on the tracking site. If a star quarterback gets it then it’s national news. 

Colleges don’t really care if the kids get it, they care if they get noticed having kids get it. 

I don’t disagree at all.  But you would think with 40,000 people on campus it would be easier to find a liability issue than on the football field.  I know the heart issue is what is creating pause, but if a football player is getting it now he is definitely getting it when constantly grouped with that large of student body.  Guessing most football players aren’t taking many classes in the fall.  In their spare time with no season, I am sure they would just hang out.  I know I would at that age.  To me it’s riskier to not have a season.  

2 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Putin to the rescue.  Russia announces vaccine.  Shoot em up and play ball?  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/europe/russia-coronavirus-vaccine-putin-intl/index.html

I will give him this.  If he really gave his kid that at this level he has balls.  Those Russian winters and vodka really harden them I guess.  

Word is that the Big Ten is considering either moving to spring football or delaying the start of the season until the end of September.

I'm not sure what is going to be different a month later.  Think the best course is just to either s*** or get off the pot;  make a decision and deal with the fall out either way.

2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

I will give him this.  If he really gave his kid that at this level he has balls.  Those Russian winters and vodka really harden them I guess.  

Apparently he gave the vaccine to one of his daughters. If that's the case, my guess is that she will be the one who has balls pretty soon due to God knows what else is in that vaccine.

2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

I want no part of Russian winters.  Hard telling what all is in that vaccine, if it actually exists, everything there flows through Putin and there are few things I'd trust less than his word on anything.