Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

Yes, that would spread it. But you do know that they will be tested multiple times/week? we have been told that to stop the spread we need to socially distance, test, contract trace, quarantine. There is no place this is happening more than sports. 
So will regular students on some of the campuses. Here in Illinois, the U of I is requiring testing twice a week for anyone on campus. They also have to be tested before arriving on campus

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

So will regular students on some of the campuses. Here in Illinois, the U of I is requiring testing twice a week for anyone on campus. They also have to be tested before arriving on campus

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That is good to hear. More reason that I don't believe this is for player safety. 

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

That is good to hear. More reason that I don't believe this is for player safety. 

I think anyone who believes they're thinking about canceling because of player safety is fooling themselves. I mean, think about the game of football. It's a violent sport that we know causes CTE. Players can become paralyzed or die on the field. Every year they press forward with a new season. But a virus that poses a very small danger to college athletes is enough to cancel the season? I'm not buying it for a second. They're concerned about the potential liability, but they're not concerned about player safety, imo. 

1 hour ago, Magnanimous said:

The NBA also had the benefit of finishing their season and not needing to start from scratch. They may get this season finished but I have a hard time seeing them have a normal 2020-21 season.

I doubt they will as well, but their restart coincided with the restart of MLB and we are already up to 27 MLB games postponed due to covid.  And the NFL has had as much time as anyone has -- I have no idea of any cohesive plan they have going forward.

11 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I would seriously doubt that.  A 12-2 vote is pretty indicative.  Press releases and press conferences will need to be set up and they likely are coordinating.

Pete Thamel just tweeted that a Big Ten spokesman confirmed that "No vote has been held by our presidents or chancellors". 

So....maybe they leaked that news, saw the backlash and said nopppee haha. Or they thought other leagues would immediately follow suit, and are holding off until they do.

21 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Pete Thamel just tweeted that a Big Ten spokesman confirmed that "No vote has been held by our presidents or chancellors". 

So....maybe they leaked that news, saw the backlash and said nopppee haha. Or they thought other leagues would immediately follow suit, and are holding off until they do.

Starting to wonder if they had an informal polling to see where everyone stood on the Sunday call.  With all of the contracts I think they would have to be somewhat careful on unilateral decisions.  I don’t believe the networks would do this since football makes so much money, but I would have to think at some point there would be contract disputes with no season.  

During these trying times of the pandemic, to have the greatest impact toward making football less dangerous, they need to either:

1. Eliminate the possibility that over-muscled 250 lb young men crash into each other at full speed, or
  2. Use hand sanitizer (lol)

38 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

During these trying times of the pandemic, to have the greatest impact toward making football less dangerous, they need to either:

1. Eliminate the possibility that over-muscled 250 lb young men crash into each other at full speed, or
  2. Use hand sanitizer (lol)

3.  iMeshbean 2PCS 1.2M Body Inflatable Bumper Football PVC Zorb Ball ...

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This moments ago from Kirk Herbstreit @KirkHerbstreit

To be clear regarding @B1Gfootball and their impending announcement-they are looking TO DELAY the start of the season NOT TO CANCEL.

Spring is going to be loaded with college sports at this rate. If we can even have sports in spring i am not hopeful 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29633697/heart-condition-linked-covid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

So it’s the liability with the heart issues associated with Covid.  Which we had a mom on Facebook speaking about this.  I can see both sides of this, but if this is the concern I think they are more likely to catch it being out and about in a non structured schedule imo.  But I get it.  Every football team has over 100 in staff and players.  Probably the toughest sport to work in this environment.  We will see either way.  It either puts me out of my misery of thinking we could finally win a bowl game 4 months early or I get football on Saturdays.

People need to learn to live with this.  If you are worried for your health, don’t participate in sports and life.  Let the others live their lives educated of the risks. 

I had an “eloquent” post about our litigious society recently that explains why we can’t do anything anymore.  But it’s since been deleted.