Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

Just now, IUc2016 said:

Yeah I am not of the belief that the colleges are doing this for public safety. I strongly feel it is because they don't want liability issues, bad publicity, and the hassle/money it will require. Which IMO is going to have unintended consequences of putting their players in more danger. 

That’s pretty fair and I actually agree with you.  I am positive it’s far more than can we protect our kids better this way or that way.  I am sure it came down to 1. Money Associated with the virus versus what they will truly bring in.  2. PR 3. Liability if someone were to die 4. Overall safety.  Probably in that order.  I know players have been told there will be consequences to attending risky situations to this point.  But much like mask wearing it is just a mandate.  Since they can’t control more than what they can, let’s just hope we have basketball.  On the flip side if they moved this to the spring I hope we can hang with a 40 man OSU roster.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

That’s pretty fair and I actually agree with you.  I am positive it’s far more than can we protect our kids better this way or that way.  I am sure it came down to 1. Money Associated with the virus versus what they will truly bring in.  2. PR 3. Liability if someone were to die 4. Overall safety.  Probably in that order.  I know players have been told there will be consequences to attending risky situations to this point.  But much like mask wearing it is just a mandate.  Since they can’t control more than what they can, let’s just hope we have basketball.  On the flip side if they moved this to the spring I hope we can hang with a 40 man OSU roster.

Yep have to hope something changes for basketball, but I don't have any confidence we will see it either. 

And I would be fine with Spring football, but if it is moved to the Spring it makes me question player safety even more. What is more dangerous, players possibly contracting covid BECAUSE of football? Or playing two seasons in one calendar year? 

I don't have the answers I guess, all just my opinion. 

32 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

use your brain a little bit Brass. Who are the ones that will be very restricted and where they go and what they do? who will be the ones tested multiple times/week and forced to quarantine if they have a positive or the slightest bouts of symptoms? 

would that be the students or the athletes? 

Can the athletes spread it, Of course. Who is much more likely to spread it though?? those restricted or those going to parties/bars on the regular? I think you know the answer. 

We have literally watched restricted athletes already spread the disease. You can insult me and tell me to use my brains. But what you are claiming is ridiculous has already happened.  Your refusal to admit it doesn’t change that 

All well and good to hype the prospect of spring football as a means to partially placate people but when the time comes, I don't think it will happen.  Then the story will either be we still haven't gotten past the virus or too much to play 2 seasons in 1 calendar year.  

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

All well and good to hype the prospect of spring football as a means to partially placate people but when the time comes, I don't think it will happen.  Then the story will either be we still haven't gotten past the virus or too much to play 2 seasons in 1 calendar year.  

Spring football is incompatible with a regular fall 2021 season.

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Dan Patrick just said that according to his sources, the B1G will announce tomorrow there will be no football this fall. Said school presidents voted 12-2 against playing, w/ only Nebraska and Iowa voting to play. 

His sources aren't always correct, though. 

I can only imagine how happy McRobbie was to vote to cancel the football season. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

We have literally watched restricted athletes already spread the disease. You can insult me and tell me to use my brains. But what you are claiming is ridiculous has already happened.  Your refusal to admit it doesn’t change that 

Oh just commenting to you like you do everyone else, like the expert in the room. I can admit that there have been positive test from football players. That has been reported.  I disagree with you that football players are somehow going to spread it because they play football. I think they are less likely, and if they do contract it, it will be quickly dealt with. I cannot say the same for the student body in general. 

Oh just commenting to you like you do everyone else, like the expert in the room. I can admit that there have been positive test from football players. That has been reported.  I disagree with you that football players are somehow going to spread it because they play football. I think they are less likely, and if they do contract it, it will be quickly dealt with. I cannot say the same for the student body in general. 

Breathing on each other while blocking, tackling or anything else wouldn't spread it. Some could be asymptomatic?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I reiterate, people wouldn't be this upset if it was any other fall sport

The business models of both college athletic departments and local economies are going to need to revamp after this.

1 minute ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Breathing on each other while blocking, tackling or anything else wouldn't spread it. Some could be asymptomatic?

Yes, that would spread it. But you do know that they will be tested multiple times/week? we have been told that to stop the spread we need to socially distance, test, contract trace, quarantine. There is no place this is happening more than sports. 

25 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Yes, that would spread it. But you do know that they will be tested multiple times/week? we have been told that to stop the spread we need to socially distance, test, contract trace, quarantine. There is no place this is happening more than sports. 

And yet football players are already testing positive. So once again something already happening isn’t exactly ridiculous 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

And yet football players are already testing positive. So once again something already happening isn’t exactly ridiculous 

haha ookay. good for you brass

college sports schools have been proactively testing and then quarantining those who test positive. Probably adding in those who have been around the athlete.

For regular students, schools are not proactively testing but waiting for symptoms.

Proactively testing is obviously going to find a lot more cases but many of these would be asymptomatic. If this were done for the student body they could never get through a semester on campus. Even if none of the cases were serious, the number of cases would be high and kids would be in quarantine all over campus or back home.

I think the symptoms based testing will allow the schools a higher probability of staying open even if it has more risk. If a school follows this approach but proactively tests sports and the result is that a large number of cases exist amongst the athletes then there will be pressure to do something-shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don't like the NBA, but I think they had a plan that will see them finish the season fully and with minimal bumps.

I love college football, but I don't see they were going to survive the season.  The NBA went into a bubble;  college football was in as much of a bubble as they were going to have and were about to leave that with classes starting and travel starting for games. 

8 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I don't like the NBA, but I think they had a plan that will see them finish the season fully and with minimal bumps.

I love college football, but I don't see they were going to survive the season.  The NBA went into a bubble;  college football was in as much of a bubble as they were going to have and were about to leave that with classes starting and travel starting for games. 

Just to follow up.....I think the NBA had a plan.  I think MLB and the NCAA had hopes and nothing more than the beginning of a plan.  I get that with the NCAA that you can't centrally locate teams a location.....but what exactly was their plan going forward?

I think the IHSAA has been offering a lot of "I don't knows" and buck passing.

9 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Just to follow up.....I think the NBA had a plan.  I think MLB and the NCAA had hopes and nothing more than the beginning of a plan.  I get that with the NCAA that you can't centrally locate teams a location.....but what exactly was their plan going forward?

I think the IHSAA has been offering a lot of "I don't knows" and buck passing.

The NBA also had the benefit of finishing their season and not needing to start from scratch. They may get this season finished but I have a hard time seeing them have a normal 2020-21 season.