Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

Fernando Tatis Jr. will be the best player in baseball very, very soon.  Wrist injury ended his season midway through last year and covid lost him 100 games this year, but he's 21 years old and in his first 100 games is hitting .318/.384/.618.  For a point of reference, he has a 1.002 OPS....Mike Trout, the best player in the game, has a career OPS of 1.000.

Fernando Tatis Jr. will be the best player in baseball very, very soon.  Wrist injury ended his season midway through last year and covid lost him 100 games this year, but he's 21 years old and in his first 100 games is hitting .318/.384/.618.  For a point of reference, he has a 1.002 OPS....Mike Trout, the best player in the game, has a career OPS of 1.000.

Fort Wayne Tin Cap

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

9 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I figured it was a matter of time.  Probably coming this week.

The cancellation of football for player safety is a farce. The players want to play, and if someone is to use a little critical thinking they would understand the players ARE ACTUALLY SAFER if they do play than if they do not. 

Even Trevor Lawrence and the rest of the players understand this. Again its more about the adults than the players as usual. 

Well, with CFB looking like it isn't going to happen, I am glad we have NBA playoffs and happy I have gotten into soccer during the pandemic. It is going to be weird to have crisp fall Saturday afternoons with no football. Athletic Departments are going to feel the ripples of this for years. Maybe they are hoping for football in the spring?

Dan Patrick just said that according to his sources, the B1G will announce tomorrow there will be no football this fall. Said school presidents voted 12-2 against playing, w/ only Nebraska and Iowa voting to play. 

His sources aren't always correct, though. 

So we'll bring thousands of students from all over the U.S. back to campus and house them in dorms and off-campus apartments but we won't allow a small percentage of the total enrollment to play football.  So much that doesn't make any sense to  this Old Fart.  

35 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

So we'll bring thousands of students from all over the U.S. back to campus and house them in dorms and off-campus apartments but we won't allow a small percentage of the total enrollment to play football.  So much that doesn't make any sense to  this Old Fart.  

Football players spreading the disease is a lot more of a bad PR moment that random students. Plus closing the dorms and doing remote learning endangers their revenue generation for years to come 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Football players spreading the disease is a lot more of a bad PR moment that random students. Plus closing the dorms and doing remote learning endangers their revenue generation for years to come 

they won't be the one spreading the disease............ the students will 

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

The cancellation of football for player safety is a farce. The players want to play, and if someone is to use a little critical thinking they would understand the players ARE ACTUALLY SAFER if they do play than if they do not. 

Even Trevor Lawrence and the rest of the players understand this. Again its more about the adults than the players as usual. 

Trevor Lawrence could become a multi-millionaire tomorrow if they canceled the season yet he’s one of the most outspoken players in favor of playing. That says a lot. The hashtag #WeWantToPlay on Twitter is full of football players saying they understand the risks and want to play. Football is these players’ lives. Most of them will never play after college. They want to play while they still can. And it’s not like covid disappears if they cancel the season. They’re still at-risk of getting it. Like you said, they’re less safe if they cancel the season. Canceling the season would be a disastrous decision, which is why I fully expect them to make it. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Athletes players can’t spread diseases?  A certain Purdue basketball player would be to disagree 

use your brain a little bit Brass. Who are the ones that will be very restricted and where they go and what they do? who will be the ones tested multiple times/week and forced to quarantine if they have a positive or the slightest bouts of symptoms? 

would that be the students or the athletes? 

Can the athletes spread it, Of course. Who is much more likely to spread it though?? those restricted or those going to parties/bars on the regular? I think you know the answer. 

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

use your brain a little bit Brass. Who are the ones that will be very restricted and where they go and what they do? who will be the ones tested multiple times/week and forced to quarantine if they have a positive or the slightest bouts of symptoms? 

Can the athletes spread it, Of course. Who is much more likely to spread it though?? those restricted or those going to parties/bars on the regular? I think you know the answer. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2018/04/11/purdue-isaac-haas-accused-infecting-partner-std-lawsuit/507899002/

Pretty sure this is what he was referring to :)

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Dan Patrick just said that according to his sources, the B1G will announce tomorrow there will be no football this fall. Said school presidents voted 12-2 against playing, w/ only Nebraska and Iowa voting to play. 

His sources aren't always correct, though. 

Sounds like the PAC-12 will cancel as well tomorrow.  I know the hope is they will play in the spring.  I just don’t see a ton of the top players playing at all this year if that’s the case.  With all of the pre draft stuff that players go through I see a ton of players sitting out.  

4 minutes ago, mamasa said:

I know what he was referring to. But that has nothing to do with why college football should or shouldn't be played. And coming from him, it wasn't meant as a simple joke. That is literally his logic as to why it shouldn't be played

5 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

You bring up a solid unintended point here.  I wonder how much of this is related to the costs of testing and all of these safety procedures versus how much money they are losing.  Some schools of course will be fine, but a lot I am sure are struggling with the additional costs associated with Covid.  Wonder if that played a larger role in this than just Covid itself.

Just now, mdn82 said:

You bring up a solid unintended point here.  I wonder how much of this is related to the costs of testing and all of these safety procedures versus how much money they are losing.  Some schools of course will be fine, but a lot I am sure are struggling with the additional costs associated with Covid.  Wonder if that played a larger role in this than just Covid itself.

Yeah I am not of the belief that the colleges are doing this for public safety. I strongly feel it is because they don't want liability issues, bad publicity, and the hassle/money it will require. Which IMO is going to have unintended consequences of putting their players in more danger.