Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

5 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

As a teacher....schools can’t win.  And county, state, and federal health boards all differ in their recommendations.  Then yesterday the president pro tempore of the Indiana senate sent an e-mail to all schools saying that although in the spring that the legislature was committed to funding schools fully if they were forced to go to remote learning due to transmission rates, to not count on it and the legislature would decide in November....quite a surprise to the 31 districts that had already decided they would have to open virtually and especially to schools that had already opened virtually.  Then today, Gov Holcomb said he is committed to funding fully and that we need to make sure schools are opening his they need to.

although I am a democrat, IMO Holcomb has done a decent job in incredibly tough circumstances.

Your last indicates the problem with this site, our country, and Americans as a whole right now as far as I'm concerned.  It's as if democrats are supposed to, by some unwritten law disagree or oppose everything republicans do and vice versa.  There's no room for dialogue, no room for civil disagreement. 

Politics used to be two political parties basically wanting the same things, just taking two different roads to get there.  Ideas were discussed and debated. Americans chose party sometimes in duality in the same election based on who might be a better leader locally, nationally, etc.  Today?  Everything is political.  Everything seems divided along political lines, and the incivility/crudeness of disagreement is disgusting.  Politics has become a cesspool. 

Republicans aren't evil people.  Democrats aren't evil people.   There are loose cannons and morons on each side; and it's as if we've let those people define an entire party to the point of people acting flat out vile toward one another.   Why is it you feel as a democrat it's an  exception to compliment someone on the other side of the aisle?   Do you feel as if supposed to "swipe left" every time regardless of circumstances?   Compelled to align with democrats along the party line simply because you generally agree with the democrat platform?  Serious question.  If "yes," I hope you can see the problem with that and the division it's causing.   I generally lean the other way, but I'm pretty liberal socially.  I don't have a problem complimenting a democrat.  For example, I think Mayor Hogsett has done some really sound things here in Indianapolis.  I wonder why it seems so difficult for some to give any credit to a political opponent?

Really wish people would quit calling it the “China Virus”.  Man our society.

You come from Indiana. I call you a Hoosier. The virus comes from China I call it China virus. Plain and simple!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

18 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

You come from Indiana. I call you a Hoosier. The virus comes from China I call it China virus. Plan and simple!

A virus mutated and jumped to humans, that can happen anywhere.  Viruses mutate, it's happened before and will happen again; nothing to do with a piece of land people want to blame.

Your last indicates the problem with this site, our country, and Americans as a whole right now as far as I'm concerned.  It's as if democrats are supposed to, by some unwritten law disagree or oppose everything republicans do and vice versa.  There's no room for dialogue, no room for civil disagreement. 
Politics used to be two political parties basically wanting the same things, just taking two different roads to get there.  Ideas were discussed and debated. Americans chose party sometimes in duality in the same election based on who might be a better leader locally, nationally, etc.  Today?  Everything is political.  Everything seems divided along political lines, and the incivility/crudeness of disagreement is disgusting.  Politics has become a cesspool. 
Republicans aren't evil people.  Democrats aren't evil people.   There are loose cannons and morons on each side; and it's as if we've let those people define an entire party to the point of people acting flat out vile toward one another.   Why is it you feel as a democrat it's an  exception to compliment someone on the other side of the aisle?   Do you feel as if supposed to "swipe left" every time regardless of circumstances?   Compelled to align with democrats along the party line simply because you generally agree with the democrat platform?  Serious question.  If "yes," I hope you can see the problem with that and the division it's causing.   I generally lean the other way, but I'm pretty liberal socially.  I don't have a problem complimenting a democrat.  For example, I think Mayor Hogsett has done some really sound things here in Indianapolis.  I wonder why it seems so difficult for some to give any credit to a political opponent?

*Drops mic and walks out*

(Not aimed at any one individual but to everyone)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Geez guys!

Old fart created this thread specifically so that we could talk about coronavirus and its connection to sports without the bomb throwing of the other thread.

The posts for the last 12 hours in this thread are off topic. Please take this discussion about non-sports coronavirus issues to the other thread.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Geez guys!

Old fart created this thread specifically so that we could talk about coronavirus and its connection to sports without the bomb throwing of the other thread.

The posts for the last 12 hours in this thread are off topic. Please take this discussion about non-sports coronavirus issues to the other thread.

Thanks

Maybe this will get us back on track...(Warning - hyperbolic statements ahead for people to debate).

1) I’d rather see the season cancelled now than start 1-5 and then have it subsequently cancelled, which it will. We got screwed in the scheduling department and our AD/Purdue’s AD should’ve done more to get that game moved up. 

2) This new paradigm will result in more blue chip juniors sitting out to prepare for the NFL. College basketball has its one and done problem and college football will begin to have a two and done problem. The NFL may need to adopt something,  not quite a G-League, but something that’ll allow the Jadevean Clowneys of CFB to get paid to train their junior year.

3) College football as we once knew it is forever gone. MAC-level programs are realizing their payday asskicking games are too precarious of a business model to rely on. This is going to expedite the consolidation of the Power 5 conferences into a true minor league, while the rest of the G5 schools are either going to move to FCS/D2 or drop their programs.

4) P5 College football players at a minimum are going to start getting a healthy “stipend.” What was already common knowledge about each athletic department’s dependency on CFB revenue is now a bargaining chip for these players. Potential ramifications from this are unknown, but some sports are going to get cut at every school, and there will be a sh*t-fit debate about equity for women’s sports. 

My opinion on this, give players a choice when they come to school. Either you get paid or are on scholarship. Let the walk-ons deal with that play for pride mantra.

5) Big coaching salaries have reached bubble status and so has the college football arms race, unless P5 college football breaks away and transforms into a true minor league.

6) No matter how this all plays out, Jim Harbaugh will never beat Ohio State.

4 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

A virus mutated and jumped to humans, that can happen anywhere.  Viruses mutate, it's happened before and will happen again; nothing to do with a piece of land people want to blame.

Viruses can also be studied in labs in Wuhan, jump to a human host, who then goes to a wet market and spreads it to other people.  Then the Communist government knows about this, does nothing, and lies to the World Health Organization and leaders all around the world about its lethality and ability to jump from human to human.  Then they could silence and disappear doctors who had the audacity to try and tell the world about the virus' severity.

They can also completely cover up the official body count by reporting only 3,000 deaths when it's likely several times that.

Screw all this sensitive "I don't want to offend someone" mindset.  I want it burned into the collective global psyche that CHINA'S government is the reason we're in this place today.

Communist China is why we didn't have March Madness.  Communist China is why the NBA/NFL seasons are so messed up, and why we'll likely not have a full college football season.  Communist China is why athletic departments all across the NCAA are reeling, some of which will spend the next decade trying to recover.

No one is impugning the Chinese people or land.  People know how to separate the Chinese citizens from their awful, authoritarian government, and the latter is to blame.  And when the dust settles on all this, I hope we have a leader who will make them pay dearly.

57 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Viruses can also be studied in labs in Wuhan, jump to a human host, who then goes to a wet market and spreads it to other people.  Then the Communist government knows about this, does nothing, and lies to the World Health Organization and leaders all around the world about its lethality and ability to jump from human to human.  Then they could silence and disappear doctors who had the audacity to try and tell the world about the virus' severity.

They can also completely cover up the official body count by reporting only 3,000 deaths when it's likely several times that.

Screw all this sensitive "I don't want to offend someone" mindset.  I want it burned into the collective global psyche that CHINA'S government is the reason we're in this place today.

Communist China is why we didn't have March Madness.  Communist China is why the NBA/NFL seasons are so messed up, and why we'll likely not have a full college football season.  Communist China is why athletic departments all across the NCAA are reeling, some of which will spend the next decade trying to recover.

No one is impugning the Chinese people or land.  People know how to separate the Chinese citizens from their awful, authoritarian government, and the latter is to blame.  And when the dust settles on all this, I hope we have a leader who will make them pay dearly.

Don’t we have one of those leaders currently. Trade wars, travel bans sounds like an attempt to make them pay to me.

But in hopes to get us back on topic - how about Chicago White Sox’s Luis Robert. That dude is so impressive in the little sample size we have so far. Once he learns to lay off the breaking ball out of the zone - watch out

x1,000,000!

This needs a LOVE button, not just a click

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

B1G Commissioner wants Spring Football.

I say, Just shut it Down like every other Sport, including the Other Cash Cow, the NCAA Tournament, and go again next Fall. CTEball isn't that special.

Not to mention that now they will play about 22 games in an 8 month period. Talk about being hard on a body

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

Penn High School football suspending team activities. Perennially a great football program, can only imagine this is one of the first dominos to fall for high school football from my neck of the woods in Northern IN.

How come, did someone test positive on the team?

Oh, and Go Cavemen!

19 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Oh, and Go Cavemen!

Honestly not too sure, parents live in Plymouth and my dad referees up there and said Penn postponed all team activities. There were several inter squad games this weekend. I know Plymouth was to have their own scrimmage today and I assume they still had it, but with Penn postponing I’d have to assume others will follow suit here at some point.

I’ve been thinking this for a while but I’d be shocked if high school football has a full season this year. Would love to be wrong

8 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

Oh, and Go Cavemen!

Here is an article on it.  Sounds like the athletic department knew of a positive covid case yet allowed optional practices to continue without quarantining others that had been in https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/penn-high-school-suspends-football-practices-after-unacceptable-response-to-covid-19-case/article_3b3ee3fc-d985-11ea-a6c4-6fd1d7669e97.amp.html

Elkhart County will not allow contact sports to resume until Aug. 24.  This will mean no week 1 games and likely will effect week two because of the lay off and lack of practice.  I don’t see how high school football is going to be a go this fall.  

Tge school city of Hammond has already removed all fall sports — this effects four high schools in the city.  Lake County board of health is recommending no contact sports due to county numbers.  For now, only Hammond has eliminated their fall season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.btpowerhouse.com/platform/amp/2020/8/7/21358573/report-big-ten-basketball-discussing-bubble-covid-19-schedule-cancellation-postpone

Not sure if this was posted before but if games get played a bubble I hope they decide to play 26 conference games.  Without having to worry about travel should be doable