Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

Credit for being very well written.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Count me as disappointed. Not in rondale or any player that opts our, but of the entire situation man. It sucks.

He was a fun college player to watch. Good luck rondale

Edit: didn’t mean to respond specifically to your post Wayne.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 8/3/2020 at 8:55 PM, Aaron said:

I feel bad for Feeney.

With that said the premises that he was in "perfect" health is not accurate and has me worried about many football players. A 325 pound lineman is absolutely more susceptible to serious side affects (obesity and being overweight is maybe the highest risk group and this includes young overweight people) and makes me worried for all the lineman on a football team and another reason why I am afraid for these players as they spread it around a team.

Football players getting seriously ill like Feeney will be somewhat rare, but due to the weight of many of them compared to other sports you are absolutely going to see more bad cases for the sport compared with others which I expect few or none. Another reason why I am not sure football is a good idea and I fully expect enough overweight football players to have bad consequences that the sport will shut down. 

I think individual and bubble sports will do fine. Baseball it depends on the day. Football very little chance till (hopefully) a vaccine in 2021. I think they will try but enough overweight football players will get seriously ill (and maybe even a death or two but hoping for best) that it has to shut down.

That was my first thought as well.  Sure he's young and strong, but I don't know if I'd call a 300 lb kid someone that's in "perfect health" and in "great physical condition".  

Using his height and weight listed online, his BMI is 37.1.  Anything greater than 30.0 is considered obese.  We all know how dangerous the virus is for overweight/obese people by now.

Not trying to smear anyone here, really hoping he pulls through and there are no long-term issues.  That must suck to go through as a parent.

51 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

That was my first thought as well.  Sure he's young and strong, but I don't know if I'd call a 300 lb kid someone that's in "perfect health" and in "great physical condition".  

Using his height and weight listed online, his BMI is 37.1.  Anything greater than 30.0 is considered obese.  We all know how dangerous the virus is for overweight/obese people by now.

Not trying to smear anyone here, really hoping he pulls through and there are no long-term issues.  That must suck to go through as a parent.

And to a larger point not trying to demean fat and obese people, but the fact that America has so many heavier people (whether playing football or not) and we consider them 'normal and in perfect health" is one of the reasons the death rate is high here compared to other countries where people are thinner overall.

There are many other reasons as well for the high virus death rate in US (awful government response for one), but the fact that we consider heavier people to be in 'good health' shows how much we have accepted obesity as a normal part of society even though it is not a particularly good thing for the body.

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

And to a larger point not trying to demean fat and obese people, but the fact that America has so many heavier people (whether playing football or not) and we consider them 'normal and in perfect health" is one of the reasons the death rate is high here compared to other countries where people are thinner overall.

There are many other reasons as well for the high virus death rate in US (awful government response for one), but the fact that we consider heavier people to be in 'good health' shows how much we have accepted obesity as a normal part of society even though it is not a particularly good thing for the body.

I agree.

Japan, as an admittedly cherry picked example, has an older population than we do, has national health care for everyone but yet spends less than 1/2 per capita on healthcare than the US. A major difference....our obesity rate is 36% while theirs is 4% which means we have many more type 2 diabetes, knee replacements, high blood pressure, disabilities, etc etc and more people susceptible to severe reactions to viruses such as Covid.

32 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I agree.

Japan, as an admittedly cherry picked example, has an older population than we do, has national health care for everyone but yet spends less than 1/2 per capita on healthcare than the US. A major difference....our obesity rate is 36% while theirs is 4% which means we have many more type 2 diabetes, knee replacements, high blood pressure, disabilities, etc etc and more people susceptible to severe reactions to viruses such as Covid.

They are also much more responsible with preventative care. Not just going to the doctor but doing the things the doctor says.  

My father in law grew up in Korea during Japanese occupation and he said there was almost a stigma attached to not doing what a doctor told you to do. 

I hear a lot about these college kids getting the China virus. Anybody hearing of any of these kids dying from it? Just asking?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Feeney is the only one I’ve heard of being remotely sick...and he’s already back on the field with his teammates. Same goes for all the professional athletes getting the virus.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, Napleshoosier said:

I hear a lot about these college kids getting the China virus. Anybody hearing of any of these kids dying from it? Just asking?

I hear a lot about how we will open up by Easter, our national efforts have been “perfect”, even though there have now been 160k deaths, and that we are “winning”. So we have that going for us.

In regards to the athletes, assuming you are asking about the Covid virus, I believe a major concern with younger people is not death but that they can then spread the virus, even if asymptomatic, to others. It’s going to be an interesting fall at colleges but is encouraging that several vaccines look promising.

13 hours ago, Napleshoosier said:

None that I have heard, at least none that didn't have underlying medical issues.  Still doesn't mean they can't get a really bad case though.

From what I've read, the China virus appears to be weakening depending on which part of the globe you're on.  Still can pack a punch though for sure.

What's funny is when I hear people say it's just a bad cold or flu, well which is it?  I had the flu 2 years ago and that thing knocked me out for about 2 weeks and I experienced heavy fatigue for at least a month, and I'm only 35 now.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:55 PM, Aaron said:

I feel bad for Feeney.

With that said the premises that he was in "perfect" health is not accurate and has me worried about many football players. A 325 pound lineman is absolutely more susceptible to serious side affects (obesity and being overweight is maybe the highest risk group and this includes young overweight people) and makes me worried for all the lineman on a football team and another reason why I am afraid for these players as they spread it around a team.

Football players getting seriously ill like Feeney will be somewhat rare, but due to the weight of many of them compared to other sports you are absolutely going to see more bad cases for the sport compared with others which I expect few or none. Another reason why I am not sure football is a good idea and I fully expect enough overweight football players to have bad consequences that the sport will shut down. 

I think individual and bubble sports will do fine. Baseball it depends on the day. Football very little chance till (hopefully) a vaccine in 2021. I think they will try but enough overweight football players will get seriously ill (and maybe even a death or two but hoping for best) that it has to shut down.

Good story to read from Anthony Boselli and Tony Boselli.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/florida-state-ol-andrew-boselli-details-battle-he-and-father-tony-boselli-faced-against-covid-19/amp/

38 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Surely there has to be a middle ground in all this. 

Chicago Tribune:  Northwestern quarantined 37 football players after 1 player's positive test turned out to be a false positive.  

And this is exactly why we are destined to spin our wheels until at least next Spring. 

Our WORLD leaders aren’t  trustworthy enough and our litigious society that severely lacks in critical thinking will be unable to circumnavigate the web of deception that has been tossed upon us.     

This will happen to schools this fall too, if not sooner.  

26 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

And this is exactly why we are destined to spin our wheels until at least next Spring. 

Our WORLD leaders aren’t  trustworthy enough and our litigious society that severely lacks in critical thinking will be unable to circumnavigate the web of deception that has been tossed upon us.     

^^Other than that it’s all good!^^

;)

16 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:   

As a teacher....schools can’t win.  And county, state, and federal health boards all differ in their recommendations.  Then yesterday the president pro tempore of the Indiana senate sent an e-mail to all schools saying that although in the spring that the legislature was committed to funding schools fully if they were forced to go to remote learning due to transmission rates, to not count on it and the legislature would decide in November....quite a surprise to the 31 districts that had already decided they would have to open virtually and especially to schools that had already opened virtually.  Then today, Gov Holcomb said he is committed to funding fully and that we need to make sure schools are opening his they need to.

although I am a democrat, IMO Holcomb has done a decent job in incredibly tough circumstances.

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Anyway, I’m done for the day. Going to play ball and then the pool. Enjoy

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Pretty much, it’s been a good day Stu!  :)

Damn straight it was!