Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

15 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

I know it is early and different, but I can't believe how well the bubble seems to be going. 

Seems like it has been effective at this point at not allowing a spread of infection, it has been entertaining with all the background/campus life story lines and shenanigans, and (best of all) we got to watch meaningful basketball last night. 

It’s working now, but assuming no COVID resolution by early next year, would the NBA still do bubble for a (modified) regular season?

2 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

It’s working now, but assuming no COVID resolution by early next year, would the NBA still do bubble for a (modified) regular season?

That is a good question and great point, this is working now.

I think at this point they have to be at lest considering continuing the bubble for the first part of the season, right? Unless the numbers dip and we get a vaccine, I think baseball is showing how difficult it is to move forward with a normal season. Not so sure that the players will want to do another six months of bubble life though. I guess they could look at MLB and come up with a better solution.

The problem with all of this is how fluid it is. 

31 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

That is a good question and great point, this is working now.

I think at this point they have to be at lest considering continuing the bubble for the first part of the season, right? Unless the numbers dip and we get a vaccine, I think baseball is showing how difficult it is to move forward with a normal season. Not so sure that the players will want to do another six months of bubble life though. I guess they could look at MLB and come up with a better solution.

The problem with all of this is how fluid it is. 

The only reason the NBA and NHL are going to make this work is because their seasons were 90% complete when COVID hit. Now the NBA has better leadership than baseball and cares more about player health than the NFL, so maybe they could make a full season bubble work, but I have my doubts. 

15 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

The only reason the NBA and NHL are going to make this work is because their seasons were 90% complete when COVID hit. Now the NBA has better leadership than baseball and cares more about player health than the NFL, so maybe they could make a full season bubble work, but I have my doubts. 

If they try and make a full season bubble. I think they should consider letting family into the bubble. I haven’t seen my daughter in 6 days and it blows. 

I know it is early and different, but I can't believe how well the bubble seems to be going. 
Seems like it has been effective at this point at not allowing a spread of infection, it has been entertaining with all the background/campus life story lines and shenanigans, and (best of all) we got to watch meaningful basketball last night. 

I’m not that surprised at how well it has worked. You rest a bunch of people, place them in a small area with strict rules, and you’ll get comparable results. COVID-19 isn’t just flying around infecting people. If you isolate non infected people they can go on about their life.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

19 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’m not that surprised at how well it has worked. You rest a bunch of people, place them in a small area with strict rules, and you’ll get comparable results. COVID-19 isn’t just flying around infecting people. If you isolate non infected people they can go on about their life.

I guess I am surprised that people are respecting the rules (players, coaches, staff, journalists, etc.) AND that it still seems to be the same great roundball that I love. 

Reports that baseball may be finished by Monday should positive cases continue to increase. Manfred may be the worst commissioner in my lifetime, and that’s saying something considering he followed Selig. Steroids brought baseball back after the 1994 strike. What’ll bring fans back this time, aluminum bats?

I guess I am surprised that people are respecting the rules (players, coaches, staff, journalists, etc.) AND that it still seems to be the same great roundball that I love. 

I believe they took action against a player for ordering food early on. That had to have helped them being so strict.

I feel bad for Feeney.

With that said the premises that he was in "perfect" health is not accurate and has me worried about many football players. A 325 pound lineman is absolutely more susceptible to serious side affects (obesity and being overweight is maybe the highest risk group and this includes young overweight people) and makes me worried for all the lineman on a football team and another reason why I am afraid for these players as they spread it around a team.

Football players getting seriously ill like Feeney will be somewhat rare, but due to the weight of many of them compared to other sports you are absolutely going to see more bad cases for the sport compared with others which I expect few or none. Another reason why I am not sure football is a good idea and I fully expect enough overweight football players to have bad consequences that the sport will shut down. 

I think individual and bubble sports will do fine. Baseball it depends on the day. Football very little chance till (hopefully) a vaccine in 2021. I think they will try but enough overweight football players will get seriously ill (and maybe even a death or two but hoping for best) that it has to shut down.

Just another example of how in sports, there isn't always a next year, and opportunities can come and go in the blink of an eye. A kid who annihilated Ohio State as a freshman missed most of his sophomore season and now thanks to a pandemic, his collegiate career is finished. 

It'll be interesting to see how Jeff Lombardi handles this.