Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

D309A6B9-DB51-48C9-BF60-8D8F6B655840.png

My son is a big-time, die-hard Marlins fan.

• He is, and will be incredibly disappointed.
  • I finally may be able to convert him to the appropriate White Sox fanhood. (I have already informed him that Luis Robert is not the next Mike Trout...Mike Trout will soon be thought of as a Luis Robert wannabe)

This whole train-wreck is so very "Marlins-ey." For the past 15+ years they have been the IU Football of MLB--either they uncategorically stink, or if it starts to look like they won't, they find a novel way to screw it up.

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

My son is a big-time, die-hard Marlins fan.

• He is, and will be incredibly disappointed.
  • I finally may be able to convert him to the appropriate White Sox fanhood. (I have already informed him that Luis Robert is not the next Mike Trout...Mike Trout will soon be thought of as a Luis Robert wannabe)

This whole train-wreck is so very "Marlins-ey." For the past 15+ years they have been the IU Football of MLB--either they uncategorically stink, or if it starts to look like they won't, they find a novel way to screw it up.

You mean to tell me things like this aren’t going to be popular at a MLB game?  Worst part is in a hugely popular baseball state you have the Marlins and Rays.  Two cheaper teams that have owners who should never have been.  I would not be surprised if Miami doesn’t finish their season elsewhere.

DEAD3CF2-1073-4903-B04C-D69E06997531.jpeg

37 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

You mean to tell me things like this aren’t going to be popular at a MLB game?  Worst part is in a hugely popular baseball state you have the Marlins and Rays.  Two cheaper teams that have owners who should never have been.  I would not be surprised if Miami doesn’t finish their season elsewhere.

DEAD3CF2-1073-4903-B04C-D69E06997531.jpeg

They took the water feature out of Marlins Park! The ballpark is actually really nice; fan friendly,  near all major highways and downtown, great parking on site, five minute drive to the best of Little Havana for dinner, and best of all, box seats for about $20.00! 

And, the new ownership group, led by Jeter, is looking to be significantly more interested in the on-field product than prior owners (Luria). That's why the Marlins had to find a way to "Marlin-it-up' with a full-on COVID outbreak. 

Rather than them finish elsewhere, I think there's a real chance that this one team will not play their season.

26 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

They took the water feature out of Marlins Park! The ballpark is actually really nice; fan friendly,  near all major highways and downtown, great parking on site, five minute drive to the best of Little Havana for dinner, and best of all, box seats for about $20.00! 

And, the new ownership group, led by Jeter, is looking to be significantly more interested in the on-field product than prior owners (Luria). That's why the Marlins had to find a way to "Marlin-it-up' with a full-on COVID outbreak. 

Rather than them finish elsewhere, I think there's a real chance that this one team will not play their season.

I don’t doubt the ticket prices.  Last year we went to a Rays game during the week and got front row in the left field bleachers during the week for $13 per.  Some days I hate being a Cubs fan.  You can’t even get on the 2nd level for that most days.

Interesting potential here with club soccer. We usually play in the winter/spring. If fall HS is cancelled the club may fill that void with some additional practice and games.

My daughter made one the top teams and they have been active the last few weeks. Masks worn to and from the field. High End physical play during the game then back to masks.

Who we play may be limited by how other clubs can manage.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

On 7/28/2020 at 9:18 PM, Stuhoo said:

My son just informed me that today, more Miami Marlins tested COVID positive than did residents of the City of Toronto.

The population of Toronto is over 2.7 million.

While not related to the outbreak among the Marlins players, the Marlins AAA team owner Lou Schwechheimer died from covid today at the age of 62.  He spent an amazing 35 years in one capacity or another with the Pawtucket Red Sox before buying three different minor league teams at various levels.  Guy obviously was an incredible fan and ambassador of the game.

6 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Over here in Illinois, CTEball(football) is being moved to Feb 15th through 1 May. Spring Sports start later and run through June. All seasons are shortened. They should have done all Fall Sports like Spring Sports and Cancel them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Football teams in my area of the state have had a hell of time staying on the field due to covid.  In the two county area (one where I live, one where I teach) there have now been 16 different districts (encompassing 21 different high schools) that have suspended practice.  Some are back on the field, some are still suspended.  

It isn't exactly a well hid secret that some parents of players whom the parents view as D1 material have their kids 'repeat' 8th grade for not-exactly-academic reasons.  Hell, Bryce Drew was 20 when he graduated Valparaiso high school (he was legitimately out of school for a year with a heart issue and Homer Drew 'redshirted' him a year and had him take eighth grade twice because at the time he was a scrawny, five foot nine or so kid).  Have to think that there might be more parents of these kids doing so this year if they think that practices/games could potentially be lost.

12 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

The St. Louis Cardinals had a couple of positive tests.  More games cancelled.  Big series too.

NBA bubble=few or no cases.

MLB traveling road show=problems.

I am officially convinced baseball has no idea what it is doing which is no surprise with its poor leadership. They let the Marlins play through way to many positive tests. Now any positive test it shutting games down instead of pulling from Taxi squad as was planned.

Baseball needs to get a plan together or cancel season as clearly right now they have none. Shutting down every team with a positive test or two won't work and letting teams play through double digit positives won't work. Find a plan baseball. This is ridiculous.

I know it is early and different, but I can't believe how well the bubble seems to be going. 

Seems like it has been effective at this point at not allowing a spread of infection, it has been entertaining with all the background/campus life story lines and shenanigans, and (best of all) we got to watch meaningful basketball last night.