Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

3 hours ago, pumpfake said:

Sadly, I tend to agree. 

One thought that just occurred to me is what if they decide to play a limited season (truncated conference only for instance), then come March they decide to cancel the tournament(s) again.  Will the players who participated lose this year of eligibility?  Or can they come back and end up playing 4.5 years?  It's a mess, that's for sure.

I’d bank money on there being no national tournament again. If they do have conference-only games, I think that’s all we get.

Yet another wrinkle and is it one that could spread?

From Pat Forde --

Startling news story:  Arizona State is redshirting its entire swimming and diving teams for 2020-21. @coach_bowman:  "All our swimmers lost their NCAA (championships) last year.  I'm not willing to let them lose two."

https://bit.ly/2P0n1mh

I'll say it again. We either have to accept positives (even if its 13) and replace the players with the reserve team as was planned or cancel season. Those are the options. Bubbles help a lot but even those are not immune. We either have to treat positives as injuries and move on or not play. 

I am not saying playing (especially without a bubble) is a good idea because its probably not, but either accept you may have many positive tests or don't have a season.

I will say everyone freaked out at first when Golf and MLS had positive tests (although slightly different circumstances) and now they seem to have figured it out and had basically none. Hopefully MLB can learn from Marlins situation, and if Phillies have no positive tests which is key, it shows baseball is a distant enough sport that even if there is an outbreak within a team it will be contained within that team and not spread to other teams when they play each other.

I am optimistic the bubble sports can work. I am not sure on non-bubble sports unless multiple positives like Marlins are accepted and moved on. College sports are done until winter at least in my mind unless they do some kind of bubble which is unrealistic.

Four more Marlins tested positive.  Up to 17.  Wonder if they will end up having to forfeit games or not.  Most of the Covid pools are comprised mainly with pitching.  There aren’t a ton of positional players on those.  Not sure of their situation but dependent how many players got it we will have to see.  So far no Phillies got it.

Just now, mdn82 said:

Four more Marlins tested positive.  Up to 17.  Wonder if they will end up having to forfeit games or not.  Most of the Covid pools are comprised mainly with pitching.  There aren’t a ton of positional players on those.  Not sure of their situation but dependent how many players got it we will have to see.  So far no Phillies got it.

That’s a lot of games to forfeit. Especially given the shortened season. 

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s a lot of games to forfeit. Especially given the shortened season. 

It is, but 15 players is hard to overcome even with the pool of players they have.  They essentially become non competitive as is.  Is it worth the risk if it’s not absolutely contained?  Glad I don’t get paid to answer that question.  

27 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

It is, but 15 players is hard to overcome even with the pool of players they have.  They essentially become non competitive as is.  Is it worth the risk if it’s not absolutely contained?  Glad I don’t get paid to answer that question.  

I mean at this point yeah they have to forfeit but you can’t give those other teams wins. An uneven season here we come. 

Interring how much more more successful the NBA has been especially given the physical contact is harder to avoid in basketball 

Good to see the Phillies had no positives. Shows as I said that baseball is a sports with enough social distancing between teams that it is hard to spread between teams which is key. Still not sure long term how season works but this is at least a sliver of good news.

53 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Good to see the Phillies had no positives. Shows as I said that baseball is a sports with enough social distancing between teams that it is hard to spread between teams which is key. Still not sure long term how season works but this is at least a sliver of good news.

I don’t think they are worried about them spreading on the field as much as on planes, buses, hotels, and in the locker rooms.  For the most part they can keep teams mostly separated.  It’s why I am surprised they didn’t stick with a bubble like MLS and NBA.  Imagine a sport like football where everyone and everything is up close and personal, and they aren’t going in a bubble.  I just don’t see the NFL making it through a season.

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Would love to know how many of these players have symptoms and what to what degree are the symptoms. Anyone with Fevers?  Etc?  

No media members want to have that discussion?  

Why does it matter?

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Would love to know how many of these players have symptoms and what to what degree are the symptoms. Anyone with Fevers?  Etc?  

No media members want to have that discussion?  

I am pretty sure for MLB at least in the CBA made it so that MLB cannot provide that data.  Only the player can.  That was one of the points of contention when they were voting on the safety aspect of the CBA.  I am pretty sure they can’t explicitly name which players have tested positive either, but that’s pretty easy to see when they go on that specific “Illness List”.  Then their only protocol is they have to have two negative COVID tests.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/covid-19-in-mlb-tracking-positive-coronavirus-cases-and-players-who-opted-out-as-2020-season-begins/amp/

Here was a fairly decent tracking of who so far is known and what if any symptoms were known for MLB.  Mostly asymptomatic or mild cases.  Haven’t read on any of their families or friends catching this from ball players.  Which I doubt we see much of that.  

11 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/covid-19-in-mlb-tracking-positive-coronavirus-cases-and-players-who-opted-out-as-2020-season-begins/amp/

Here was a fairly decent tracking of who so far is known and what if any symptoms were known for MLB.  Mostly asymptomatic or mild cases.  Haven’t read on any of their families or friends catching this from ball players.  Which I doubt we see much of that.  

With HIPAA who knows, but publicly this is the most dangerous MLB Coronavirus case I've seen so far:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/red-sox-pitcher-eduardo-rodriguez-confirms-hes-dealing-with-heart-issue-stemming-from-covid-19-infection/