Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

On 7/17/2020 at 3:36 PM, Aaron said:

What I don't understand is why start workouts if a few positive tests are going to stop it? I don't have a good answer here or know what the right answer is, but if six positive tests is going to stop workouts no reason to start them. 

Either you have to accept there are going to be a decent amount of positives and isolate those who get it or don't do sports this fall (and by extension in person classes). Don't start up and then stop it with six positives as that looks extremely naive.

Which way to go I don't know, but schools need to decide how many positive tests they are OK with and if its no more than six, don't bother starting as you are going to have many more than that. 

I think part of the issue is when the six occur.  If there were none a few days ago and then six occur the next test cycle, it might be indicative of a spread that could occur quickly.  I think part of the reason for starting and stopping when a few tests occur is to see if there are areas of concern where spread could happen that can be addressed.

Indy 500 reduced from 50 to 25% and masks now mandatory after Speedway took flack for 50% and masks recommended.

So now we are looking at 60-70k spread out.  

8 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Indy 500 reduced from 50 to 25% and masks now mandatory after Speedway took flack for 50% and masks recommended.

Including infield I assume?

Big news for the kids attending Huntington Prep for its basketball program:  

Directly impacted by the ongoing pandemic, @HuntingtonPrep  will forgo the 2020-2021 season due to the uncertainty of the winter months, its coach, Arkell Bruce, tells @Rivals.  Plan is to return to a national schedule for the 2021-2022 campaign.

OK now Michigan St is quarantining whole football team for 14 days over 2 positive tests. As I said with IU's 6, either accept positive tests and isolate infected or cancel fall sports now. I don't know which is right, but if a positive test is going to shut things don't bother. 

7 minutes ago, Aaron said:

OK now Michigan St is quarantining whole football team for 14 days over 2 positive tests. As I said with IU's 6, either accept positive tests and isolate infected or cancel fall sports now. I don't know which is right, but if a positive test is going to shut things don't bother. 

It wouldn’t be shutting them down if the country as a whole was on a downward trend.  These tests are evidence of failure to isolate the team from the outside world.  If the outside world was decreasing it would matter less 

48 minutes ago, Aaron said:

College sports should just not even bother this year.  Universities will go into CYA mode when a few players test positive for fear of getting sued or condemned by an angry mob.

There's no way to make up for the lost revenue though, so they'll try any way they can to make it work.  Maybe this will be a good time for universities to look at their budgets and decide if they really need a gender studies professor making $350,000/yr, or if an Assistant to the Vice Chancellor for Intersectional University Relations needs to exist.

College sports should just not even bother this year.  Universities will go into CYA mode when a few players test positive for fear of getting sued or condemned by an angry mob.
There's no way to make up for the lost revenue though, so they'll try any way they can to make it work.  Maybe this will be a good time for universities to look at their budgets and decide if they really need a gender studies professor making $350,000/yr, or if an Assistant to the Vice Chancellor for Intersectional University Relations needs to exist.
I don't think they can cancel it. Wisconsin would lose $100 million if the football season cancelled

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Update from University of Michigan on COVID-19 testing:  To date, 729 total tests have been administered with 13 positive results. Student-athletes: 449 Positive: 12 Staff: 170 Positive: 1 Latests (July 20-21) Total tests: 94 Positive: 4

Update from PUke:  Since June 8 - first day of athletes returning to campus - 415 COVID-19 tests given to athletes, coaches, staff. 27 positive tests. 22 completed quarantine. 5 cases remain active Purdue plans to provide weekly update every Friday

Every day that goes by and cases get worse and they continue to wait on making these decisions is only delaying the inevitable. Call me a pessimist, but since nothing has been proven to me otherwise, we aren’t getting football and likely not basketball either. 

I will be SHOCKED if we do. 

On 7/21/2020 at 10:47 PM, Aaron said:

This is one sporting event in Indiana that WILL take place, whether or not most fans are allowed to attend. Indiana’s governor will for sure be in attendance with his family, as he’s made it clear during many of his daily coronavirus updates how important this event is for his family who hasn’t missed in decades.

I won’t count on any other sports in Indiana to have a full season, but I would bet on an Indianapolis 500 being raced.

This doesn’t help me, though, as I hate auto racing. 

6 hours ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

Every day that goes by and cases get worse and they continue to wait on making these decisions is only delaying the inevitable. Call me a pessimist, but since nothing has been proven to me otherwise, we aren’t getting football and likely not basketball either. 

Agreed.  They need to just start planning to move fall sports to the spring.  Winter Sports to next summer. 

14 hours ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

Sadly, I tend to agree. 

One thought that just occurred to me is what if they decide to play a limited season (truncated conference only for instance), then come March they decide to cancel the tournament(s) again.  Will the players who participated lose this year of eligibility?  Or can they come back and end up playing 4.5 years?  It's a mess, that's for sure.

While not strictly related to sports.....I know someone going to Clemson in the fall. Clemson has pushed back in-class attendance a month and is requiring students to bring C-19 test results. The challenge is that  the state she lives in is not giving tests unless you have a doctors note outlining symptoms you already have. 
If safe, I would like to see football in some form but am getting skeptical as there are so many factors that can derail the attempt at a season.

I'm fine with no football

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, ray said:

This is one sporting event in Indiana that WILL take place, whether or not most fans are allowed to attend. Indiana’s governor will for sure be in attendance with his family, as he’s made it clear during many of his daily coronavirus updates how important this event is for his family who hasn’t missed in decades.

I won’t count on any other sports in Indiana to have a full season, but I would bet on an Indianapolis 500 being raced.

This doesn’t help me, though, as I hate auto racing. 

Same with the Derby here in Louisville. There is a ton of backlash about letting fans attend, but far too much money flows into this town for them to not have it.

Not to mention Louisville’s downtown is just decimated these days with businesses boarded up and people too afraid to even get down there.  We need all the revenue we can get here. But all this is another discussion.