Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9news.com/amp/article/sports/mlb/colorado-rockies/rockies-outfielder-charlie-blackmon-returns-to-team-after-bout-with-coronavirus/73-af75f29f-5b9f-4a14-9905-be9c67108c08
A non doomsday article about Covid. Blackmon says bout was mild compared to flu...is immediately attacked on social media. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9news.com/amp/article/sports/mlb/colorado-rockies/rockies-outfielder-charlie-blackmon-returns-to-team-after-bout-with-coronavirus/73-af75f29f-5b9f-4a14-9905-be9c67108c08
A non doomsday article about Covid. Blackmon says bout was mild compared to flu...is immediately attacked on social media. Sad.

He was attacked on social media?

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Lesson?

STAY OFF SOCIAL MEDIA cause no matter what ya do or say someone will attack you!

Problem solved.

I didn’t see a post from him on either Twitter or Instagram since mid June.  I am missing something?  Hope he is able to get up to speed quick.  I am excited to see some baseball.  I always liked him as a player.  As a Cubs fan I am excited to see Schwarber as a DH.  I am disappointed about not being able to walk across the street after work and take in some Tin Cap games this year.  But give me 60 games and it’s better than nothing.

42 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I didn’t see a post from him on either Twitter or Instagram since mid June.  I am missing something?  Hope he is able to get up to speed quick.  I am excited to see some baseball.  I always liked him as a player.  As a Cubs fan I am excited to see Schwarber as a DH.  I am disappointed about not being able to walk across the street after work and take in some Tin Cap games this year.  But give me 60 games and it’s better than nothing.

That’s what I was alluding to the article didn’t say anything about it that I saw. Seemed kind of made up

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

Neither the article nor the video mentioned anything about him being attacked on social media. 

Man, I gotta say it has to suck to be on the floor below Jimmy Butler.  Dude has always had a crazy work ethic.  Funny story I read earlier today that someone had to call security on him because he was doing dribbling drills in his room at 3 am.  Imagine being that dude that got stuck with that room.  Someone drew the short end.

RICHMOND, Va. -- High school football with not be played in Virginia this fall due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to the Virginia High School League (VHSL).

The organization says they will decide the fate of the 2020 fall sports season on July 27. Football in the fall is not included in any of the three models under consideration.

Model 1: Only golf and cross country in the fall. All other fall sports cancelled.

Model 2: Spring sports (except lacrosse) being shifted to the fall and vice versa

Model 3: All sports played in truncated seasons from Dec. 14-June 26.

Model 3: Winter Sports would be held Dec. 14-Feb. 20 (First play date: 12/28). Fall Sports would be held Feb. 15-May 1 (First play date: 3/1); Spring Sports would be held April 12-June 26 (First play date: 4/26).

There is no word if football will be considered for the winter and spring months.

7 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

RICHMOND, Va. -- High school football with not be played in Virginia this fall due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to the Virginia High School League (VHSL).

The organization says they will decide the fate of the 2020 fall sports season on July 27. Football in the fall is not included in any of the three models under consideration.

Model 1: Only golf and cross country in the fall. All other fall sports cancelled.

Model 2: Spring sports (except lacrosse) being shifted to the fall and vice versa

Model 3: All sports played in truncated seasons from Dec. 14-June 26.

Model 3: Winter Sports would be held Dec. 14-Feb. 20 (First play date: 12/28). Fall Sports would be held Feb. 15-May 1 (First play date: 3/1); Spring Sports would be held April 12-June 26 (First play date: 4/26).

There is no word if football will be considered for the winter and spring months.

I seriously doubt we see football for Indiana high schools this fall.  In my area, there have already been four teams suspend (temporarily or indefinitely) football practices within a week of it starting and one school -- a 6A one -- go completely online for the first nine weeks and will not be playing any fall sports.

Here is one effect that coronavirus had on high school football....and it actually predates when the virus hit.

Russ Radtke has 368 wins -- currently second most of any active coach in Indiana and is moving up on the all-time leaders.  Radtke has coached at New Prairie for the last few years and had a pretty good run, but prior to coronavirus hitting and after the 2019 season ended, he agreed to be the football coach at Portage high school.  Portage is a big school -- 6A -- and plays a decent schedule.  Despite their size, they have hit hard times -- they went 1-9 last year and have had only one winning season in the last six years.  Truth be told, though, they could potentially make a turn around with good coaching -- Radtke is known for running an option offense and his teams run it to perfection.  His plan was to run the conditioning in the spring, get his players used to the system in summer.  But once the pandemic hit, that obviously didn't happen.

A week before practices were allowed to get started in early July, Radtke resigned without ever stepping foot on the field at Portage.  One day later, he signed to be the coach at Knox.....a 3A school playing in a conference of 1A and 2A teams.  It's obviously an easier transition there as talent wise they are better than most of their opponents.

And a week into practice, Portage announced they will be e-learning for the first nine weeks and will not have fall sports.

So.....New Prairie lost their coach and will likely have to adjust their whole offense (should the season be a go);  Portage was in desperate need of a turnaround in their program but the pandemic lost out on the coach who could have done that and has left their program in no man's land;  and Knox ended up with a coach who would never have considering changing from New Prairie to Knox but circumstances led him there.

Sadly, it’s only because he stood to lose nearly $3 mil had he opted out. He thought he would be covered under those allowed to opt out due to injury and still be paid, but this was not the case. He will most likely play a few games and I’d bet he gets shelved for a soft “injury” so he can still get paid. There is definitely some friction between he and the Pacers, mostly with Nate. If I had to guess after next year, Pacers will not have one of Nate or Oladipo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Kinda/sorta along with the potential for no high school football this season, ISSMA (Indiana State School Music Association) has cancelled all their upcoming events for marching band. 

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

Kinda/sorta along with the potential for no high school football this season, ISSMA (Indiana State School Music Association) has cancelled all their upcoming events for marching band. 

I really felt bad for seniors last year,  but man I feel horrible for kids that were juniors last year.

55 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I really felt bad for seniors last year,  but man I feel horrible for kids that were juniors last year.

Seniors last year are now missing out of their freshmen year as well. When I look back that might have been the funnest in my life 

West Coast Conference delays fall sports until Sept. 24.  From release: "men’s and women’s basketball competition, scheduled to begin Nov. 10, are not impacted by this decision.  This does not apply to ... BYU and San Diego football seasons (which are outside WCC)."

HORIZON LEAGUE