Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

What the 'H' lets give this a try.  We have a thread that actively (and sometimes hotly) discusses the virus and we have a thread for the virus and positive news.  PLEASE, let's keep this thread devoted exclusively to its impact on sports.   

The superintendent of schools in Dallas told MSNBC high school football in the state of Texas is highly unlikely in 2020. 

Nicole Auerbach - The ACC is expected to announce today that it will not allow fall sport competitions (games/exhibitions) until at least Sept. 1, sources tell @TheAthleticCFB. That would affect sports like soccer, field hockey, etc. Practices for all sports would still be allowed in August.  Pat Forde subsequently tweeted this would not apply to football.

I don't know the football schedule, but in my opinion it is wrong that they can play before September 1, if I am understanding it correctly, and the others can't. I don't care if it is a revenue sport and the others aren't. I would say the same with Basketball and a love basketball a thousand times more than CTEball

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can't stop shaking my head.  First, the NBA decrees no doubles ping-pong but all game contact is perfectly OK.  Now the NFL with this:  NFL teams will be forbidden from postgame interactions within 6 feet of each other and jersey exchanges between players will be prohibited during the 2020 season, sources say. 

So all the grabbing, holding, tackling, sweating, spitting, etc., on the field is OK, but by god you better not get 5'11" close to another player post-game.  

IMO if the leagues are that hyper to come up with these kinds of rules then they have no business even starting play.   

Dartmouth College is eliminating five varsity athletic programs, effective immediately, due to “a budget deficit made worse by the pandemic,” the school announced Thursday.  Men’s and women’s swimming and diving, men’s and women’s golf, and men’s lightweight rowing have been cut, affecting 110 student-athletes and 15 staff members, including eight coaches.  The school is also closing the Hanover Country Club, which it owns and operates at its golf course. According to a release, these changes will save Dartmouth more than $2 million.

42 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Dartmouth College is eliminating five varsity athletic programs, effective immediately, due to “a budget deficit made worse by the pandemic,” the school announced Thursday.  Men’s and women’s swimming and diving, men’s and women’s golf, and men’s lightweight rowing have been cut, affecting 110 student-athletes and 15 staff members, including eight coaches.  The school is also closing the Hanover Country Club, which it owns and operates at its golf course. According to a release, these changes will save Dartmouth more than $2 million.

This stuff is tragic.  Some of the richest institutions taking it out on non-revenue athletes.  

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

What the 'H' lets give this a try.  We have a thread that actively (and sometimes hotly) discusses the virus and we have a thread for the virus and positive news.  PLEASE, let's keep this thread devoted exclusively to its impact on sports.   

The superintendent of schools in Dallas told MSNBC high school football in the state of Texas is highly unlikely in 2020. 

Nicole Auerbach - The ACC is expected to announce today that it will not allow fall sport competitions (games/exhibitions) until at least Sept. 1, sources tell @TheAthleticCFB. That would affect sports like soccer, field hockey, etc. Practices for all sports would still be allowed in August.  Pat Forde subsequently tweeted this would not apply to football.

Thanks for the thread and hope everyone (including myself) keeps the talk specific to coronavirus and sports.  We have three threads on coronavirus, each with their own purpose.

I was listening to an ESPN radio station today and they mentioned that due to current militaryacademy travel restrictions to places where outbreaks are prevalent, AIr Force, Navy, and Army would not be able to play some of their games if they were scheduled to today (obviously this changes as the numbers change, but the point is that those schools could have military restrictions on traveling).  For instance, Navy would not be able to play a game if were in South Florida or Houston, which are both in their conference.

Just shut everything down. Half this crap makes no sense anyhow. As someone said earlier, they are putting all these conditions on what players can and can't do pre and post game, but during the game they can grab, be within 6 ft, sweat on and everything else. Makes no freaking sense, so just shut All sports down. Pure idiocy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk