Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

OT - Bloomington, a city on the brink?

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I can certainly see the benefits of waiting. But people I think would rather see an early arrest and the person get off on trial. Because far too often we have seen authorities stall and wait for things to leave the news cycle before doing nothing. 

"people I think would rather see an early arrest and the person get off on trial."  Not acceptable

"Because far too often we have seen authorities stall and wait for things to leave the news cycle before doing nothing." Also not acceptable.

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

"people I think would rather see an early arrest and the person get off on trial."  Not acceptable

"Because far too often we have seen authorities stall and wait for things to leave the news cycle before doing nothing." Also not acceptable.

While both aren’t acceptable. Our society appears to be in a spot where in order to avoid the second you have to risk the first.  It’s not good. But it’s where we are 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

While both aren’t acceptable. Our society appears to be in a spot where in order to avoid the second you have to risk the first.  It’s not good. But it’s where we are 

Meh ... that's too hot of a take.

When that happens it sucks and draws a lot of attention. BUT, when the legal process moves deliberately and effectively? Often no one notices. 

I understand that's only natural, but that dichotomy is real.

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Meh ... that's too hot of a take.

When that happens it sucks and draws a lot of attention. BUT, when the legal process moves deliberately and effectively? Often no one notices. 

I understand that's only natural, but that dichotomy is real.

It’s consistently failing maybe it’s not a high percentage but just this year there have been several incidents where authorities investigations were “lacking” until state or federal authorities stepped in usually after details leaked to the public and outrage demanded it. 

And when you are having to call in new authorities because you don’t trust certain authorities it’s undermines the system.  

Just saw the DNR officers who apparently didn’t even talk to the suspects in the Lake incident have been named on Facebook 

Not talking to suspects while they are still at the crime scene certainly seems deliberate but not deliberate in an attempt to get a conviction. 

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s consistently failing maybe it’s not a high percentage but just this year there have been several incidents where authorities investigations were “lacking” until state or federal authorities stepped in usually after details leaked to the public and outrage demanded it. 

And when you are having to call in new authorities because you don’t trust certain authorities it’s undermines the system.  

Generally, in my experience there is far more expertise, more resources, and stronger hiring standards at the State and Federal level. There are exceptions.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Generally, in my experience there is far more expertise, more resources, and stronger hiring standards at the State and Federal level. There are exceptions.

Don’t get me wrong if the local authorities ask for assistance because of those reasons that’s fine.  

But down in Georgia the GBI or whatever was brought in not because they were asked for help but because the investigation was at best botched and likely made to disappear. Those incidents destroy credibility for all that departments previous work. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Don’t get me wrong if the local authorities ask for assistance because of those reasons that’s fine.  

But down in Georgia the GBI or whatever was brought in not because they were asked for help but because the investigation was at best botched and likely made to disappear. Those incidents destroy credibility for all that departments previous work. 

In Georgia with Ahmand Arbery?  "Likely made to disappear" is a vast understatement; in my opinion it was indisputably made to disappear. 

So many good officers get their credibility sullied by that crap. Leadership matters.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

The first wrong was what they did.  The second wrong was the DNR not arresting them.

In the degree of wrongs, an internet troll putting ‘public restroom’ as a description on the business one of them owns doesn’t even register.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

The first wrong was what they did.  The second wrong was the DNR not arresting them.

In the degree of wrongs, an internet troll putting ‘public restroom’ as a description on the business one of them owns doesn’t even register.

My understanding is that they were employees of that business.

BTW, yes, all wrongs are not created equal. However, if people are truly committed to a better way, childishly trolling a business is a credibility reducer and just plain immature IMO. Not sure how that advances the ball in any way -- it just dilutes and distracts from the central point/central offense.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

My understanding is that they were employees of that business.

BTW, yes, all wrongs are not created equal. However, if people are truly committed to a better way, childishly trolling a business is a credibility reducer and just plain immature IMO. Not sure how that advances the ball in any way -- it just dilutes and distracts from the central point/central offense.

No one of them is at least a part owner and founder. The Purdy guy.  Apparently the Purdy Masonry outed this fact after they were accused of employing a racist. 

9 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I guess I don’t understand not detaining someone because of the immediate public danger they are.  

"Public danger" is a legal term that has been litigated exhaustively. If those guys are arrested they will very likely make bail. They will not be detained through the conclusion of the legal process.

For someone to be detained until trial the general theory is that there is probable cause that they will be a flight risk or will be a (physical) danger to the community. They would be charged with simple assault and false imprisonment. Not nearly enough to constitute detention until trial IMO.

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

No one of them is at least a part owner and founder. The Purdy guy.  Apparently the Purdy Masonry outed this fact after they were accused of employing a racist. 

So there will be substantial business consequences for their behavior. And they will be accomplished by the simple act of the publication of the cell video. Mamasa's post already showed how a private business can appropriately make that clear.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So there will be substantial business consequences for their behavior. And they will be accomplished by the simple act of the publication of the cell video. Mamasa's post already showed how a private business can appropriately make that clear.

Oh I agree. I found that company the night this came out. My wife said I should put in a 1 star review and I said I wouldn’t.  I haven’t used them. 

I will say if I ever have to hire a mason I’ll be making sure it’s not these guys 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Oh I agree. I found that company the night this came out. My wife said I should put in a 1 star review and I said I wouldn’t.  I haven’t used them. 

I will say if I ever have to hire a mason I’ll be making sure it’s not these guys 

Exactly.

9 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I saw parts of the video of the incident on the hiking trail. I swear, at times, I thought I was watching "Deliverance." 

Some people are just really screwed up.  

Bloomington has always seemed to be 1/2 cosmopolitan and 1/2 hillbilly.  It's a strange mix.